Gardening

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Nope haven't planted anything yet. Too cold. I want to get raised beds this year. But hubby has been too busy to put it up.

I can't wait to garden. My favorite past time.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We got peppers growing! Geeez these plants are huge! I need to get new pics! I want pics of your gardens too :p

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I am redoing our knot garden in the back yard. I removed the old paver border and replacing it with a taller but thinner one. This morning Lari asked me to make it bigger as well but if I do that it will be a rectangle rather than a square. It will need to be totally replanted. Hopefully it will dry off enough later for me to go try a couple of ideas. She wants one big one, I want two equal sized gardens, maybe a third smaller one too with pathways between them.

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
have been so busy out there in it and with the new puppy that I missed this thread. I to hate slugs but feel sad for the snails. For some reason they are more likable. Regardless, I have an ongoing with them ALL, including the cucumber beetles and the gross ear wigs( I dont even like to touch them to kill them) I go out in the morning and check my snail traps ( upside down pots) gab them up and head over to the chicken coop. They love em! And I do not feel as bad as smashing them. I also use beer traps for the slugs. Here is a pic of the hoop house this year and one of the garden from a year or two ago. I haven't taking any this year yet. I should it's now almost all planted... spring20012 (1).jpggarden.jpg

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
my husband is dutch, so we have a great big flower garden. it is less manicured, more of an 'english garden', which i love. we have many lilies, which is a challenge bc of those evil japanese beetles who chomp up the lilies. we have started cutting things down from winter (late spring this year), and we have mostly perennials so the maintenance is mostly deadheading and killing beetles.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My goodness! I haven't visited this thread in a while and WOW - I am impressed with the caliber of gardeners we have around here.

[MENTION=3104]mendomama[/MENTION] - I jerry-rigged a mini hoop house this year, simply because it's been so cold and wet. I'll get a picture of it soon and post. It's not HUGE and awesome like yours though!

[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] - as promised, a recent trip to HD; Bea's favorite shopping experience - captured on film for you.

Bea Loves Home Depot.jpg

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
HA! Love it :) That was a much needed smile today!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
My goodness! I haven't visited this thread in a while and WOW - I am impressed with the caliber of gardeners we have around here.

@mendomama - I jerry-rigged a mini hoop house this year, simply because it's been so cold and wet. I'll get a picture of it soon and post. It's not HUGE and awesome like yours though!

@MamaAndi - as promised, a recent trip to HD; Bea's favorite shopping experience - captured on film for you.

View attachment 20493

Lari tried loading HRH onto a cart at Lowes once.... almost got ugly.. LOL

I have plans for a PVC pipe greenhouse if anyone wants to build one. I keep saying Im going to do it but of course never have.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lari tried loading HRH onto a cart at Lowes once.... almost got ugly.. LOL

I have plans for a PVC pipe greenhouse if anyone wants to build one. I keep saying Im going to do it but of course never have.

HRH is a character, isn't she? Bea started going when she was just a puppy; otherwise, there'd be no way I'd get her in that cart now without an "incident". I've yet to try to put her into the new yellow garden cart. She's already suspicious of the thing......

There's a house in my neighborhood that has a real GLASS green house, about the size of a garden shed, attached to the garage. It sits; empty. I know you're not supposed to covet they neighbor's greenhouse but wow....what I could do with one of THOSE. I'd have to take out the raised beds to have one at my house --- no room.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH is a character, isn't she? Bea started going when she was just a puppy; otherwise, there'd be no way I'd get her in that cart now without an "incident". I've yet to try to put her into the new yellow garden cart. She's already suspicious of the thing......

There's a house in my neighborhood that has a real GLASS green house, about the size of a garden shed, attached to the garage. It sits; empty. I know you're not supposed to covet they neighbor's greenhouse but wow....what I could do with one of THOSE. I'd have to take out the raised beds to have one at my house --- no room.

Wouldn't hurt to knock in their door and ask if they wanted to get rid of it ;) We have the same problem... no room. We have a small city lot, 40' by whatever so every inch counts. Lari would love to have a greenhouse but it would have to go where there garden shed is.. lol

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
my husband is dutch, so we have a great big flower garden. it is less manicured, more of an 'english garden', which i love. we have many lilies, which is a challenge bc of those evil japanese beetles who chomp up the lilies. we have started cutting things down from winter (late spring this year), and we have mostly perennials so the maintenance is mostly deadheading and killing beetles.

Don't forget Slug/Snail Patrol! You have those right? And you need to post some pics in this thread!

Wouldn't hurt to knock in their door and ask if they wanted to get rid of it ;) We have the same problem... no room. We have a small city lot, 40' by whatever so every inch counts. Lari would love to have a greenhouse but it would have to go where there garden shed is.. lol

Well Bruce, there is room in the "Dog's Yard" --- but Bea and Bo forbid it. I have two very sturdy rose bushes out there that Bo is trying to eat to the ground. Here's last summer's crop and Bo sunning it up poolside.....

P5170034.jpg

BTW: I put in my tall cutting garden annuals yesterday (cosmos, snapdragons) and my dahlias too. My garden this year is gonna blow this thread's doors off. I'm pumped.

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]....where was that pic when the springtime bully pic contest was going on?!

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh...and I'm jealous of the snapdragons by the way! I can't find them anywhere around here?!

Better keep those slugs away ;)

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Ooooh, I am loving everyones' garden pictures! And [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] - LOVE :heart: that picture of Bea in her Home Depot cart!

We have asparagus that is growing like the weed it is and our strawberry patch is getting fruit and finally some lettuce is sprouting. But I have been struggling a bit with adjusting to the weather here and it has been a little inconsistent lately. But finally got tiny plants popping up a week ago!

WinterSpring2012b006.jpg

WinterSpring2012b011.jpg

WinterSpring2012b010.jpg

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Here's my little seedling garden (this is about half of it)...soon i will need to put it in the ground though! :) Most of it anyway. I am having mint issues, it hasn't started yet.

008-4.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.