Gardening

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
hahahaha! Oh yes, I love my new title. I'll be going on recon here in about T-minus Thirty. I'm certain all my targets are quivering in their tiny tiny slimy boots!

...and that bulldog figurine: PRICELESS! [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] - you are a lucky, lucky man to have [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] and her EB shopping skills.

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] So how did the slug hunt go?! We need totals!!!

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] So how did the slug hunt go?! We need totals!!!

My mom lives with me now you know and she asked exactly the same thing! hahahahaha Here's what I told her: "Today's haul was about QUALITY - not quantity. I got SIX BIG active, healthy adults and about five teeny ones."

It was a very good morning. In a couple hours, I'll be back out there...it rained yanno and that seems to liberate them from their hiding places...:detective:

I wish I could post an audio file of me Slug Hunting. I'm insane. I catch myself talking to myself -- loudly too -- when I'm out there. I catch myself saying stuff like:
"You bastards!" and "A HA thought you could hide eh?" and "Gotcha u little &^%$%". I'm certain the casual observer would think: "Oh great. Excited, crazy lady in her bathrobe, with a flash light in the dark, smoking like a fiend and talking to herself. Do meth much?"

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Bottom of my copper bucket - sluggos.jpg This morning's haul.

Oh yeah. She did it. She posted a pic of a bucket of slugs. Mmmhmm. :happydance:

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
This is what I know about gardening....not much.
1. :yes: I think gardens are really pretty.
2. I know they are a lot of work:D

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I started laughing out loud when I read the part about smoking and wearing a bathrobe talking to yourself (well, and the slugs)!!! Bah haha :lol:

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=4285]GRACIE11[/MENTION]...it's much easier than it sounds! I have the black thumb of death when it comes to flowers, I usually end up killing them but I'm pretty decent with veggies and herbs. Just go pick out some seeds you wanna try and get some of those little biodegradable pots. Start your seeds and when they get too big for the pot...just dig a hole and drop the whole thing in. Super easy! You can do it :)

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION]......I tried being this big gardener :yes: I bought a garden pond went and got truck loads of rocks, plants etc. :flower: Stocked my pond with goldfish :dance:Tried to make a waterfall and list goes on :whew: it was an EPIC failure :w00t: More weeds than anything :ashamed: Just got it all dug out and now trying to get the grass to grow back :yes: much easier....you just mow it. But I always admire everyone else's pretty gardens:D I wish I could afford to hire a gardener!

Last edited:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Lets see, so far this year, my Salsa garden has cost me
1 SawZaw Blade - a handful of splinters (removed the 'raised' part of the beds)
6 2x10x10's a handful of those industrial strength nails -
some Vinyl Fencing 'to hide the ugly compost pile, (humm 'nature stuff, hidden by Plastic stuff that will never compost!)
I totally reworked the drip/spray system -
planted something new.. Asparagus - no idea, if its dead or alive...we'll see -
2 tomatoes are in (last year I had Tomato HEDGES !) but Blossom End Rot so no Tomatoes ! Grrr)
3 sweet red bell peppers 2 green bell pepper 1 'mexibell' pepper (who knows.. we'll see how it is)
60 'We can't call them Valdalia' Sweet onions
4 Brocolli
4 Cabbage <--- gonna yank these... Cold weather crop and its too hot this spring
oh and Sweet Basil !
now... what lives...what dies? what takes over... oh CRAP ! the wife begged me for Cucumbers.... last time I planed 1 plant, I ended up taking a big bag of them to work, so heavy was the bag that the 'Seat Belt Light' buzzed on me, cause it was sitting on the passenger seat ! (that's ALOT of Cukes!)
now ask me about July 'Are you going to plant your garden again next year? LOL oh and its an 8x16 plot not huge at all.

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
Lets see, so far this year, my Salsa garden has cost me
1 SawZaw Blade - a handful of splinters (removed the 'raised' part of the beds)
6 2x10x10's a handful of those industrial strength nails -
some Vinyl Fencing 'to hide the ugly compost pile, (humm 'nature stuff, hidden by Plastic stuff that will never compost!)
I totally reworked the drip/spray system -
planted something new.. Asparagus - no idea, if its dead or alive...we'll see -
2 tomatoes are in (last year I had Tomato HEDGES !) but Blossom End Rot so no Tomatoes ! Grrr)
3 sweet red bell peppers 2 green bell pepper 1 'mexibell' pepper (who knows.. we'll see how it is)
60 'We can't call them Valdalia' Sweet onions
4 Brocolli
4 Cabbage <--- gonna yank these... Cold weather crop and its too hot this spring
oh and Sweet Basil !
now... what lives...what dies? what takes over... oh CRAP ! the wife begged me for Cucumbers.... last time I planed 1 plant, I ended up taking a big bag of them to work, so heavy was the bag that the 'Seat Belt Light' buzzed on me, cause it was sitting on the passenger seat ! (that's ALOT of Cukes!)
now ask me about July 'Are you going to plant your garden again next year? LOL oh and its an 8x16 plot not huge at all.
:ROFL:

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You go [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION]!!! LOL

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Awwww, I love slugs. It is such a conundrum...I love gardening and my plants but love slugs too.

That's funny... I feel that way about snails. They're a tiny slug wearing armor is all - nothing different but I can't kill them. They're too cute.

So I toss them into my neighbor's yard. :ROFL: I'm serious.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online