Gardening

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I know there are some fantastic gardeners on EBN...I've seen proof in the pics! I was wondering if anyone else is starting their gardens yet? I start all our things from seeds and use those little biodegradable cups so when the roots start to come through I can just put the whole thing right in the ground. So far I started strawberries, beans, spearmint, sage, summer squash, cucumbers, pumpkins, and hot peppers. Oh and I started some bleeding hearts from bulbs (looove the bleeding hearts, they are so pretty!).

So...who else has started their gardening? Pics are a plus! :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] is an avid gardener. Him and Lari always win awards on their beautiful lawn.

[MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] grows organic veggies and highly recommends it!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Don't do much gardening anymore. Just maintenance on the landscape. My yesterday, today and tomorrow plant smells heavenly though!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We don't do a veggie garden. Just lots and lots of flowers. I have planted pansies and some miniature daffodils this spring so far. And just started 72 plant flats of petunias and snapdragons from seed. I still have more seeds I want to get started but we are back to cold weather again. Not really safe to put plants out till mid May here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We had two weeks of warm weather and of course, when I started my seeds, it got chilly again. So they are inside. My hubby eats a ton of eggs, so I saved the larger halves and am trying using them as little pots for my veggies to get growing. I have started a couple kinds of tomatoes, some hot peppers, bell peppers. I also started some beans directly in the ground but I don't know how well they will do now it is colder. I have cucumbers, melons, herbs, squash, onions, and lettuce I haven't started yet. I love gardening but since this is my first time in a state with actual seasons, I am a little thrown for a loop. I was ready to start planting in February!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Lari is the gardener here... I just do whatever she tells me to.... like dig here, get me more potting soil, etc. LOL

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Lari is the gardener here... I just do whatever she tells me to.... like dig here, get me more potting soil, etc. LOL

Good boy Brucie! Good boy!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] I knew you were a keeper. :lol: I am not the best gardener ever thats for sure. Last year at this time I had planted a lot of stuff and then we got one crazy last snow in april which killed a lot off. In California I didnt expect that really. This year I am not doing anything yet. I do have my jalepeno plants that has been outside for a couple years. Who knew it lived thru the seasons? Not me. lol. I have a rogue strawberry plant that rooted itself as an offshoot of a potted plant I had 2 years ago. Truns out it losts thru the winter too. I see leaves on it right now. I usually grow tomatoes always. BUT I hate that damn tomato caterpillar so not sure about redoing it this year. Last year I didnt pay attention and after coming home from a trip, it was covered with those dang things, NASTY!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We have tried to grow everything here in Arizona, but this year we have decided to just do what ACTUALLY grows here. Peppers! I mean we can do tomatoes and other things but the amount we get is so very little it is not worth all the work.

Here is our greenhouse pictures taken last week, they are already much bigger and flowering, starting to get a few peppers too. I harvest all the peppers and boil the extras, drain the water and put them into the blender. I then put them in ice cube trays, freeze and then put into sealed bags, the flavor is amazing with all the peppers mixed together. We are growing 7 different peppers this year. Last time I did this the cubes lasted for 2 years, using them in soups, potatoes, fajitas, salsas, ect. So we did not do our garden for the last two years!

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]....those are big pepper plants! Mine are always tiny but we get a decent amount of peppers for the size of the plant lol

[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] Snapdragons are so neat looking, maybe I'll have to track some down for the garden this year. I don't usually do too many flowers because for some reason...when it comes to flowers I don't have a green thumb, more like the thumb of death! :)

[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION]...I know what you mean about being ready to garden early. We are in Nebraska and the weather was soooo nice I think everybody got started early. Then people who had plants in the ground had to cover them the past few nights because we had frost again

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Oh sister, you know I'm hard at it! (In spite of the threats of cool weather....I never learn) I have a lot of mature perennials that serve as the "bones" of the yard but I've added some new ones this year. I'm not a huge fan of the Lilly - typically - but I got tubers of two different varieties as a gift and I put them in. Asiatic Lilly's will OUT SCENT the Sweet Peas *sadly* but in they went. I ordered some Siberica Iris from Holland back in January and they arrived, just in time to go in the ground. I have "Louisiana" (white, fluffy), "Temper Tantrum", "Harpswell Happiness", and "Blue Pennant". Siberica iris like to have wet feet - perfect for this one soggy place in my shade garden bed.

:photo: I'll post action shots when they "arrive" - but that may be Summer 2013. They take a season to establish sometimes.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh I cant wait to see your garden [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] it sounds lovely!

My plants are even bigger than the pic but they are very leafy and not producing many flowers. I need to adjust the chemicals in the soil but not sure what I need more of. Many of the flowers are not producing fruit???

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] I've never even heard of some of those! Can't wait to see those pics :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] I've never even heard of some of those! Can't wait to see those pics :)

Like I said, might be awhile since they take time to establish.

Having lots of perennials, each spring is like going thru an old box in the attic. I'm ALWAYS surprised by something I put in the year before and forgot about...and here it comes back again. Then there's my favorites that I check on all the time...I want to make sure it's going to come back! I have a hosta called "Mouse Ears" that's like that and a Heurchera called "Cherry Coke". Morning slug patrol is mandatory in spring here. All that work could go right into the belly of a hungry slug....NOT ON MY WATCH! :guns:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.