Running Advice

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
On a lark, I signed up for a 4.2 mile charity run that takes place in two weeks.

It's a run/walk and I'm not really concerned about time as much as having fun and supporting a good cause - but I'd like to do as well as I can and have a good time.

Any recommendations on training for the next two weeks? I can run about 1.5 miles right now but my foot (which was recently broken in 4 places) is still relatively untested. My goal is to finish in less than 60 minutes - so a very realistic goal.

Also, what do I wear to run? It will be about 65 degrees and sunny so I want to be comfortable without being weighed down.

I've never run a race before so any advice is appreciated!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I wish I had some advice for you...
I'm a fluffy woman though and only run when I'm being chased. Kudos to you though on running for a charity, so thoughtful :)

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Going from 1.5 to 4.2 is not difficult, but in 2 weeks? Still doable, but tough. You should be out pushing your endurance now... the biggest thing is getting your muscles used to the activity... as your muscles get used to it, your more likely to hit that magic "cruise zone" which is a point in your training where your body is used to the activity and you can relax. If you can get to the point of feeling relaxed while you run, then you got it... just get comfortable and cruise, and you will see your distance increase X3 or X4, if time is not an issue.

Listening to music really helps me... helps build a rhythm for my strides and helps me get relaxed.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Going from 1.5 to 4.2 is not difficult, but in 2 weeks? Still doable, but tough. You should be out pushing your endurance now... the biggest thing is getting your muscles used to the activity... as your muscles get used to it, your more likely to hit that magic "cruise zone" which is a point in your training where your body is used to the activity and you can relax. If you can get to the point of feeling relaxed while you run, then you got it... just get comfortable and cruise, and you will see your distance increase X3 or X4, if time is not an issue.

Listening to music really helps me... helps build a rhythm for my strides and helps me get relaxed.

Thanks [MENTION=410]Telly03[/MENTION] - I sold myself a little short. I have been working out and doing cardio (on an elliptical trainer) for the past month plus a lot of hockey, which really helps. I tried running outside and I did much better than on a treadmill. I tried to pace myself nice and slow so I would be able to run the entire way and I did 4.2 miles in 55:52, which I was happy with so anything on top of that is just great! I guess I'll try to increase my speed a bit but I agree, having some great music is a huge help!

I can't wait to run in my first race! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.