Finally decided to sell the house - Need tips on what to renovate / change

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My bf and I thought about it and decided that it would be best to put our house on the market asap and move in with my parents to save some much needed funds.

We know we're going to change the carpet and maybe get new coutertops for the kitchen. What do you think will be best for flooring? Hardwood's up there, how about the vinyl planks everyone raves about here? As for the counters, I'd like to the do wrapped versions of them instead of fully replacing them. Any tips of which one is best?

We also need to think about
- paint - 1 colour, 2 colours, what colour?
- epoxying the garage floor

Anyone have any must do homestaging tips?

Thanks everyone. We're both looking forward to redecorating. :)

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
If your going to fix it all up, stay there... LOL I can understand CLEAN but the lengths that people go to makes me wonder some times. BUT, having said that, its what society expects so I have no advice.
IF you want to remodel before selling go to the open houses of similar properties and see what they have compared to yours and what they are asking. I think you will get lots of ideas doing that. Take notes.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, seeing we have Punkin and Stiggy, changing the floors is a must. Right now we have carpet, even in the dining room. Painting too seeing we have such colourful walls and a lot of people here are afraid of colour. lol. Epoxying and changing the counters are toss-ups. Epoxy's reasonable cheap though, I think $200 will cover the whole garage. The counters I'm not too sure about, depends on the price I guess.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Bruce has a good idea...(:eek:)...checking out similarly priced houses will give you a chance to check out the competition! I say hardwood or a really nice laminate. There are some that you can't tell they aren't real hardwood!! I agree on the wrapped counters..[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION]. Said she had those! I love..love color on my walls..but everyone says go neutral when selling. Maybe some soft tans or sumpin like that! How exciting for you..the first step on getting your dreams!! :up:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I think CLEAN will sell it, as you know buying a new house, you always want to make things your own way. My house was move in ready, but I am changing things slowly but surely our own way. If the carpet is really bad then I would replace it, if not just have it proffesionally cleaned. My kitchen counter tops are green laminate, I hate them, but it did not stop us from buying this house, now I get to pick the granite and the color I want. I am definitely checking out the wrap like [MENTION=3169]BellasMom[/MENTION] had done when we do get to the wall-papered, green laminate countered kitchen!!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have the wrap and LOVE it. It was half the price as full and looks as if I spent the extra money.

One thing, when we were looking at selling, I had a couple realtors come over to see the place. They brought comps and told me what needed to be done, or suggested what would make it look better. They understand if you don't choose them to list, you just need to let them know up front you are interviewing for an agent. You must like and get along with your agent, this is common to do.

also there are books and I am sure website that talk about staging.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
my brother and his wife staged their house to sell in TO. it wasn't selling before that, and as soon as it was staged, it sold in a week!

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
my brother and his wife staged their house to sell in TO. it wasn't selling before that, and as soon as it was staged, it sold in a week!

Did they get it professionally staged or bought new furniture on their own? I'm thinking mine will be on the market for a couple of months or more. One of the reasons we thought it would be best to sell as soon as possible.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well I have watched enough shows to have a small opinion. Lol a nice beige color on the walls with white trim makes any house look updated. For floors, go with what ifs cost effective. Hard wood sells but is not cheap I am sure. As for the kitchen, it does sell so updating will help. I would be happy with a wrap on the counters. You want it to look new buy not cost a grip. Figurewhoever buys the n house will start their own plan for decor any how. Newer matching appliances in the kitchenwould help too. Really need pics tho. I am so nosy. Lol

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
Did they get it professionally staged or bought new furniture on their own? I'm thinking mine will be on the market for a couple of months or more. One of the reasons we thought it would be best to sell as soon as possible.

the had is professionally staged, and did not buy used furniture. the stager used their furniture, and it really did look like a different house.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online