Act of Valor.... and the Academy Awards

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My husband and I are big movie freaks. FREAKS. We have "Date Night" every Friday night and for some reason, we always end up going to the theater. We both just love it. But no, I haven't seen all the movies because we sometimes watch the same movie over and over. For example, we saw The Matrix at the theaters every single weekend - sometimes twice a weekend - from the day it came out to the day it disappeared from the dollar theaters. Yeah, that's over 20 times. We watched Avatar in Real3D, Imax3D, regular 2D, for a total of... eh, about 12 times. Yeah. Freaks.

So, last weekend, we saw Act of Valor. I LOVE THAT MOVIE! And I'm not big on war movies, especially the R-rated ones. I loved it so much, I saw it 3 times in one weekend. Critics give it low rating because of the "bad acting". Interestingly, that was WHY I loved the movies sooooo much! The movie stars 8 Navy SEALs. The real deal. Not actors portraying SEALs. The action scenes were actual training missions that the director incorporated into a fictional story. And they added things that would tie the training mission to the fictional story by letting some of the SEALs say some lines - which, of course, were badly acted because... these are SEALs not Tom Cruise. It's such a refreshing movie.

So... I watched the Academy Awards over the weekend and they showed Tom Cruise. And I can't help but think - here's this guy portraying all these impossible stunts in Mission Impossible and he can't hold a candle to a real-deal Navy SEAL... man, it makes me want to watch Act of Valor again. We're probably going to watch that movie every weekend for the next month or so...

And the crazy thing about it is... the Filipinos are the bad guys in the movie! It's quite jarring to see a Filipino strap a bomb to her chest. But, it brings home to me the fact that my country is neck-deep in their fight against terrorists. They've been fighting these extremists since the 70's. My dad quit his job as a district manager for Procter and Gamble in the early 70's because he was assigned to Southern Philippines and he would be riding in the delivery truck and a stray bullet would zing by through the windshield from the constant skirmishes between the military and the extremists...

Anyway, the Academy Awards was great this year. I was hoping Hugo would win. I was hoping Nick Nolte would win. Warrior was another one of those movies we saw plenty of times at the theater. But yeah, Merryl Streep was great in Iron Lady so I think she deserved that win. I was also thinking that girl from the Dragon Tattoo movie deserved an Oscar as well. And, like before, Angelina would look much better if she'd eat 4 Big Macs a day. LOL.

Act of Valor won't get a single nomination for the Academy. But, that's fine. It already won with me. Hoo-yah!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I am a movie nut too, all movies including war movies. I do really want to see Act Of Valor so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. I personally never watch the academy awards anymore, I rarely agree with who is chosen as the various winners so I don't even bother turning it on. BUT I did see a segment on the news about Angelina and her little leg show LOL, I agree, she could stand to gain a couple pounds!

Didn't see the Iron Lady yet but Meryl is always wonderful so I am glad to hear she won and I also think Nick Nolte did a great job in the Warrior :)

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
:hiya: Thats all..cuz I don't watch movies...especially war movies.

What? I thought it was California State Law that you gotta watch movies. :D

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I am a movie nut too, all movies including war movies. I do really want to see Act Of Valor so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. I personally never watch the academy awards anymore, I rarely agree with who is chosen as the various winners so I don't even bother turning it on. BUT I did see a segment on the news about Angelina and her little leg show LOL, I agree, she could stand to gain a couple pounds!

Didn't see the Iron Lady yet but Meryl is always wonderful so I am glad to hear she won and I also think Nick Nolte did a great job in the Warrior :)

You know the "bad brother" in Warrior? I just found out his name... Tom Hardy. That's how I gauge that an actor is a great actor - when you've seen him as a prominent figure in several movies and you don't realize it's the same guy so you don't even pay attention to what his name is! I know him from Star Trek Nemesis, Inception, Warrior, Tinker Soldier, This Means War... and I finally realized they're all the same guy! He was intelligent, dark, elegant, poised, rattled, disturbed, angry, sweet, romantic, british, american from the burg... and the only thing that clued me in that it's the same guy is the big lips and the crooked teeth!

Last edited:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
You know the "bad brother" in Warrior? I just found out his name... Tom Hardy. That's how I gauge that an actor is a great actor - when you've seen him as a prominent figure in several movies and you don't realize it's the same guy so you don't even pay attention to what his name is! I know him from Star Trek Nemesis, Inception, Warrior, Tinker Soldier, This Means War... and I finally realized they're all the same guy! He was intelligent, dark, elegant, poised, rattled, disturbed, angry, sweet, romantic, british, american from the burg... and the only thing that clued me in that it's the same guy is the big lips and the crooked teeth!

I haven't seen any of those movies actually (been meaning to see Inception just haven't yet :() but when I saw him in Warrior that name Tom Hardy seemed so familiar so I googled his name and I found out that I knew him from Rock N Rolla (I love Guy Ritchie movies!).

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We are huge movie nuts in our house too but we rarely go to the theater anymore because it doesn't fit into our budget. So we are usually behind on movies, waiting for them to come out onto DVD. I miss where we used to live, it had a cheap theater which showed movies about a month after they were first released and all seats are $2. And $1 hotdogs! So we actually kept up with movies then! My hubby can't wait to see Act of Valor though, so we might splurge this weekend and take in a matinee.

We own a ridiculous amount of movies though because we love re-watching our favorites. Some of my favorites I think I have seen over 50 times.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Im a big movie fan here too. I dont go to the theater but maybe once a year due to finances. I have a massive dvd collection that I watch over and over...

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1930]RescueMe[/MENTION], [MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION], we have $5 movies at Regal on Sundays including new releases where I live. There used to be $5 movies at AMC from Mon-Thu for movies that have been in the theaters for at least 7 days but I'm not sure if it's still going on because we don't go to the theater on weekdays. Regular ticket prices are $10 for adults, $6.50 for kids/seniors/military, $15 for 3D. We go to the movies so much that we get free movie passes a lot from the membership card thing.

But yes, our "movie budget" is as much as, if not more than, our grocery budget! With 2 adults and 2 kids plus the popcorn and drinks, one non-discounted movie costs us at least $50 at the theater. And we usually watch the 3D version if it's a good movie. And we still have the Blue-Ray movies that we rent plus the movie channels on satellite... yeah, we got a 3D-capable theater at home too.

FREAKS, I tell ya.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.