Recipe swap

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Lynn's Paradise Cafe Mac and Cheese
(As seen on Oprah)
2 ounces butter, melted, plus extra for preparing the baking pan
1 quart evaporated milk
4 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon white pepper

1¼ lbs. shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (preferably Vermont cheddar)
1 lb. dry elbow macaroni, cooked al dente

Crumb Topping:
½ cup dry sourdough breadcrumbs (or other firm-textured white bread)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 grindings of black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Butter a 13"x 9" pan. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together 2 ounces melted butter, evaporated milk, eggs, paprika, salt and white pepper. Set aside.
Make the crumb topping by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
Layer one third of the cooked elbow macaroni in the prepared pan. Cover with one third of the shredded cheddar. Repeat the layers twice more, ending with an even layer of cheese on top.
Pour the evaporated milk mixture evenly over the entire casserole. With gloved hand, press lightly on the top so the ingredients are moistened by the milk.
Bake for 30 minutes, covered with foil. Remove the foil and sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top. Continue baking for another 15-20 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to sit at room temperature 5 minutes before serving
Yield: Serves 12 as a side for lunch or dinner

This is one I got from someone online. We love it!

While you are more than welcome to post recipes here on English Bulldog News, we would also like to invite you to our newly created forum just for recipe sharing! Inspired by the popularity of our recipe swap here at English Bulldog News. Click the link below!

Taste Tested Recipes

Last edited by a moderator:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mexican Chicken
Take a big bag of nacho chips and crunch and put in a 9 x 13 pan.
Shred 3 cooked chicken breast over the chips
Top with 2 cans of Cream of Chicken soup
Add 1 jar of salsa (hubby likes medium)
Top with taco cheese or mozzarella or both and bake at 350 till bubbly.

Add sour cream on top after cooking

Looks kinda like the beef recipe above doesn't it. ;) That's cause I took this recipe and made my own beef version. Then tweeked it a little more for potluck serving. I just "do" that sort of thing.

While you are more than welcome to post recipes here on English Bulldog News, we would also like to invite you to our newly created forum just for recipe sharing! Inspired by the popularity of our recipe swap here at English Bulldog News. Click the link below!

Taste Tested Recipes

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I LOVE rhuben's...I posted the soup recipe earlier...This casserole is equally a favorite.

Ruben Casserole

2 14 1/2 oz cans sauerkraut, drained
2 12 oz cans corned beef, crumbled
4 c. swiss cheese, shredded and divided
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. thousand island dressing
4 T butter, melted
1/2 c. soft rye bread crumbs
1/2 t. caraway seeds

Layer sauerkraut, corned beef and half the cheese in a 13"X 9" baking dish.
Mix mayonnaise and dressing together; pour over casserole mixture. Sprinkle
with remaining cheese. Mix together butter and bread crumbs; sprinkle over
top. Sprinkle with caraway seeds. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

Taste Tested Recipes

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok making these boarders on "fussy" but they are really good. I might go to this much trouble about once a year. then freeze some to have easy heat up later. they freeze well.

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

2 lbs ground beef or half ground beef half Italian sausage
2 eggs
½ cup uncooked rice
1 small onion chopped fine
Salt and pepper to taste
A little milk

Mix together and form into large meatball sized balls

1 head cabbage par boiled to soften leaves

Roll the meat up into the cabbage leaves folding in the edges and leaving the stem end tucked under in pre greased (olive oil) pan. (with this recipe I get about 10 rolls)

2 large cans tomato sauce
1/8 cup sugar
2 tbsp butter
4 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp Oregano
1 tbsp basil
More salt and pepper to taste
Boil this mixture in a sauce pan for a few minutes to blend and thicken then pour over cabbage rolls

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 ½ hour in a covered 9 x 11 deep casserole dish. Remove cover and sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese bake a few minutes around to melt/toast the cheese

Served with Italian bread and Pasta Salad.

Taste Tested Recipes

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We both love this...it's an easy crock pot thing to make.

Teriyaki Pork Roast

1 boneless pork shoulder (I used a bone in roast it still worked)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
1/3 cup soy sauce (I have to use Kikkoman’s)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water

Cut roast in half (I put three slices through the boned roast leaving the bone joining all). Rub with brown sugar
Place in a 5-quart slow cooker. Pour apple juice and soy sauce over roast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook o low for 6 to 6 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove roast; cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
Strain juices and return to the slow cooker
Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into juices.
Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened for gravy.
Slice pork; serve with white rice and gravy
Yeild:6-8 servings
Source: Taste of Home Magazine January/February 2007

Taste Tested Recipes

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stuffing

1 loaf bread

My mom and grandma used to save up the heels of bread for about a week or so before family dinners and used those instead of a loaf of “good” bread. We had a lot more people eating bread back in those days so it didn’t take long. Now it would take us a couple months to save up that many heels.

1 cup butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
S&P TT
1 ½ cups boiling chicken or turkey broth.

Turkey giblets, or cut up cooked chicken or turkey cooked and chopped (optional)

At least 6 hours before you are ready to bake, toast the bread then tear each slice into bite-size pieces and let stand on an open table or countertop. You can speed up this part if you spread the bread out on cookie sheets and bake in a 200 degree oven for a while.

Once the bread has dried out, mix it in a large baking dish with the boiling broth, butter, onion, salt and sage. For added flavor, cook and chop up the turkey giblets and add to the stuffing.

Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes in a covered dish. Uncover for final 10 minutes of bake time.

Taste Tested Recipes

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce grew up on this one so it's a Pett family recipe I suppose :D:He's the only one who makes it here, But I do enjoy eating it when he does.

Swiss Supper Loaf

12 slices of white bread
10 slices of Swiss cheese
1/2-cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup Heinz 57 chili sauce
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
10 slices bacon (we use a whole pound, we are bacon freaks, lol)

Chop up bacon and fry… crumble. Divide in half.

Melt butter, add onion and sauté till slightly browned.
Add chili sauce, poppy seeds, and ½ the bacon.
Heat for 5 minutes.

Assemble: Slice of bread, coat with sauce, bit of remaining half of crumbled bacon, slice of Swiss cheese and repeat till loaf is assembled.
Spray foil liberally with non-stick spray. This will stick horribly if you omit this step!

Completely seal in a double layer of foil and place on cookie sheet.
Bake in 350-degree oven for about 25 minutes.

Taste Tested Recipes

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
More later....I haven't even started on dessert favorites. >.<

OP
B

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I love all the great recipes. My oldest son love cooking and also loves Ruebens. I can't wait to get him the recipe and then invite me over for dinner. lol
I am going to make the beer and cheese soup next week. This is my favorite at a local restaurant and I look forward to have it when ever I want. Thanks LariP

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
LariP -- you are a font of awesome recipes! I am going to go grocery shopping tomorrow and you have helped my shopping list immensely! Keep the great recipes coming!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce's "Aunt Ruth's" Carrot Casserole

2 bunches of carrots, peeled and sliced into strips (carrot sticks)
1 cup mayonnaise
2 T dry instant onions ( I have also used just sautéed onions)
1 T. horseradish
Salt and Pepper to taste
chopped fresh parsley (you can substitute dry, but fresh is better)
4 T. melted butter
Bread crumbs (prepared) or about equivalent of 3 slices bread.

cook the carrots in water for about 15 minutes reserve 1/2 cup liquid from cooking, when you drain them.

Spread carrots in shallow baking dish

Mix together the reserved liquid
Mayo, Horseradish, onions S&P and pour over the carrots

Sprinkle bread crumbs and chopped parsley over drizzle with the butter

Bake @ 375 for 12-20 minutes

you can use the baby carrots and I think they're fine this way, but Bruce swears it's better with regular carrots, (I really can't tell the difference) also the recipe I was passed on says you can use canned sliced carrots and the liquid they're in, but I just think those would be too "mushy"

Trust me you'll never think of cooked carrots the same way again if you try these, they're yummy!

Taste Tested Recipes

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BATTER FRIED ZUCCHINI STICKS

1 cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons oil
1 pound zucchini, cut into 3 or 4-inch sticks
Additonal flour (optional)
Oil for deep frying

HOLLANDAISE SAUCE:
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon water or dry white wine
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash of black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Sift flour with baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Combine egg, milk and 2 tablespoons oil. Slowly add to dry ingredients, beating until smooth. Pat zucchini sticks very dry and if desired dredge lightly in flour. Dip pieces, one at a time, in batter. Fry in deep oil heated to 375 degrees until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with more salt if desired.

To make sauce, beat egg yolks until thick and light colored. Mix in water and transfer to top of double boiler set over barely simmering water. Heat and stir 2 to 3 minutes until warm., not hot, and eggs have begun to thicken. Add butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating continuously until well blended. Cook, beating 2 to 3 minutes until sauce thickens enough to coat back of spoon. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper and lemon juice. Serve immediately with zucchini sticks.

Makes 2 dozen.

NOTE: Vegetables that may be substituted for zucchini include artichoke hearts, carrot sticks, cauliflowerets, parsley sprigs, sliced parsnips and sweet potato sticks.

Taste Tested Recipes

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BEEF CUPS

12 slices White Bread
3 tablespoons softened butter
1 ¼ lb. ground beef
1 egg
1 small onion, chopped
1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup

¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter one side of each slice of Bread and press each slice butter-side down into the cups of a muffin tin. In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, onion, cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper until well blended. Fill each bread cup with the mixture. Sprinkle shredded Cheddar cheese over the tops.

Bake for 30 minutes or until meat is cooked through.

Makes 12 servings.

Taste Tested Recipes

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.