Vacationing in Canada... where should we go?

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Hey there,
My husband is starting a new job in mid-March and will have a few weeks off between his current job ending and the new one beginning. We thought we could take advantage of the free time with a vacation. I am currently applying for residency from within Canada, which means I am not allowed to leave the country until I have my visa, so we are limited to trips within Canada. Luckily, Canada is quite big and I have only been to Toronto and Montreal, so that leaves a lot of options open. Any suggestions for a good place to visit in early March? We were thinking maybe a trip to Vancouver and possibly some time at Whistler, but don't know if the snow is good for skiing that time of year.
Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Hi there!
I would fly to Vancouver and explore the city. Go whale watching from Victoria Island. It's truly beautiful. After that you can rent a car and drive through the Okanagan. There is something for everyone, but you will love it if you're outdoorsy. I live in Calgary and the Rockies are worth a visit, but that isn't much more than a 2-3 day trip (unless you are reaaaallly into skiing!).

Alternatively I've always wanted to visit far eastern Canada. There is a lot of history and much closer to you. You could probably make it a road trip and bring your dog :)

OP
LaurenA

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
[MENTION=3904]Poppy[/MENTION] & [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]
Thank you so much for the recommendations! I think we are definitely going to head to Vancouver, and this also gave me some great ideas for future trips too!!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Vancouver is so beautiful and has quite the scenery! I think skiing is open year-round, if not, most of the year, so you're safe.

I live in Toronto, so I've been to cities that are close ... Ottawa, Quebec City, Montreal, etc. Those are always great places to do sightseeing in.

Always wanted to go roadtripping to the east too. Mainly Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. I'm more of a sightseeing fan as well as trying out new restaurants, especially seafood ones!, and I've read there's always something new to see driving to those places.

Last edited:

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
Banff is AWESOME...and don't forget to try out the hotsprings if you go. Skiing is probably iffy at that time, though.

Eastern Canada is also breathtaking. I lived in Nova Scotia for a year, and my daughter goes to university out there now. There are so many beautiful places to see on the east coast.....Newfoundland included.

OP
LaurenA

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Ahhh! My list of places to visit is getting longer and longer... I so can't wait to see the rest of Canada!

My husbands start date for the new job was moved up, so he only had a week off and we stayed here in Montreal and still managed to have lots of fun. Now I am going to be oh so prepared whenever we do find time for a vacation. Banff and hot springs got my attention! :)

canis

Feb 24, 2012
Bruce County, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Lizzy
Sounds like you made the best of it! I'm assuming you've been to Quebec City? We love staying within the wall during winter Carnival, but it's beautiful any time of year.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.