Camera Brand & Model Suggestions?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I know we have some fabulous photographers around here and I was looking into purchasing an SLR camera (preferrably digital as film is a hassle I wish not to have :)).

So does anyone have an suggestions on models or brands that they really like? I was looking at a Canon Rebel XT that seemed like it would be good to learn on. And lenses....that's a whole other deal! :confused:

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I have a Canon Rebel & I LOVE it. I took a community class at a local university to learn how o use the basic settings. There are TONS one online resources as well

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I have a Nikon D60 DSLR and like it a lot.... it is a lot better camera than I am a photog. ;)

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
nikon 3000...it was gift...i'm a big picture taker....took classes in my younger years

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
You can't go wrong with either a Nikon or Canon... the difference is really with the button locations and functions. Once you get used to one, the other would probably feel awkward.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I have not much knowledge when it comes to photography and photography equipment. I just read a quote from some famous photographer that said something to the effect of - "the best camera is the one you are holding when you stumble upon a photographic moment." In my case, more than likely, that's going to be my smart phone.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I'm a big fan of Canon. Not expensive as Nikon, and every bit as good.

I use a Canon Rebel EOS T1i. It's a step up from the one you're looking at, I believe. I didn't click the link haha but I'm pretty sure it's the one I'm thinking of. The Canon Rebel line is great for a first DSLR for a newbie to them. The T1i is my first DSLR and it's been very good to me..I love it. I want to upgrade now to the Canon 7D as I'm really into photography, but that's a $1500 camera. Can't afford that right now, LOL.

Lenses are so much fun too. The camera comes with an 18-55mm which is a good starter lens. I also have a telephoto lens that I got that cost more than my camera body..you'll find that happens a lot. It's a 70-300mm. I also have something I call a "nifty fifty" which is just a 50mm lens..no zoom. It's EXCELLENT in low light, the aperture gets to 1.8 which is aweeessoommmeee.

Feel free to message me with any camera questions :) I love this stuff.

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My mom has that Canon 7D...that thing is crazy! Takes really nice pics though. LOL

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I am a Nikon person, the d3000 is a nice entry level body and you can get the kit at costco with the 18-55 lens good for everyday situations. Also, the 50mm like Lauren was saying is great, I actually love the 35mm too, it is great for indoor pictures and moving subjects like kids and dogs. I like the 35mm better because it has a little wider frame than the 50mm but they are both great. Make sure you read the compatibility of the lens with the camera because the older lenses don't have full functionality with the newer cameras. I have the nikon d5100 and I really like it a lot! Please feel free to email me with any questions! Other than my kids and my dogs my photography is my love!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
All these fancy cameras are good but for most people a good point and shoot like both canon and nikon make will last them a lifetime. Depends on what you care to spend on your camera. We also, besides the Nikon, have a Kodak Z650 that is more of a point and shoot that takes great pix and takes video that my D60 doesn't, although the new Nikons now do videos. I think the Kodak was about $250 if I remember correctly.

H

heff101

My preference and what I use:

Canon 7D with a 17-55 lens

Only about $3,000.00 for the two!

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Any camera can give you good pictures... My wife LOVES her iphone camera. I've spent our kids collage money on DSLR equipment. To each their own :)

Things to keep in mind about DSLR's..
  • DSLR's are LARGE. My camera setup for my kids sporting events weighs ~6lbs. I get a better workout then the kids!
  • Good Lenses are not cheap. (my 'sports' lens cost over $2k)
  • It can get addictive. Ask my kids about it while they are at community collage

If you want something smaller check out some of the Mirrorless cameras (or m4/3). They focus just as fast as DSLR's, have interchangeable lenses (though nobody ever changes the lenses on them).. and can be less expensive as a DSLR. A good example would be Nikons 1 series cameras.

However... only a DSLR will give you pictures like these:

(narrow dept of field.. smooth as butter bokeh)
sigma.jpg

a1-3.jpg

I would recommend either the Nikon 5100 ($750 w/lens) or the Nikon D7000 ($1.2k w/lens). I would also recommend picking up a prime lens (prime = fixed focus length.. non-zoom). A 35mm or 50mm prime lens will work better in low light and give you MUCH sharper images then the kit lens. It may even make you feel like a real photographer!

Check out this site.. Its great for new photographers to the paid pro's!
http://froknowsphoto.com/

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I ended up getting a Canon Rebel...everyone else that I have asked said you can pretty much get any body but it's the lenses that you want to invest your money into. Thanks for the tips everybody! :)

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
I :heart: photography but seams as i never use anything more then my phone...

But I have a Sony A-200 and i love it but i think its smarter then me. I love love my sony H- 7 {?} or something like that...

But I use my phone more then anything....

Good luck

Heather w/Tapatalk app

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] ahhhh I would love to have a 35mm too! I have to get kind of far away to use my 50mm still..a 35 would be excellent. I love my fifty but it's almost too much distance for the things I use it for...which is portrait shots, haha.

[MENTION=3952]TheLost[/MENTION] which "sports" lens are you using?? 2,000..wow. I'd love to have one that nice. I have this one: http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=zaI4T_O-LMSRsAL0zrHzAQ&ved=0CK4BEPMCMAE and it was $800. It's pretty nice, I can only imagine what yours can do. What body do you use?

[MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION] I'm so jealous that you have a 7D. I wish I could afford one! That's what I want next.

[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] the Canon Rebel should be just fine for you! Which model did you get? Just the plain Rebel, the T1, T2, T3??? :) I'm assuming the original. The lenses really are what make all the difference as far as quality. Oh, and having a good eye! :) You can have the fanciest camera in the world, but if you don't have an eye for photography your photos aren't going to look great. That's my philosophy, anyway. I've taken some good pictures with even just a point and shoot.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.