Considering a Tattoo - Advice Needed

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
P.S. I just saw the picture on the other thread. Were you thinking a tribal interpretation (just that design in one solid black color) or more details?

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
P.S. I just saw the picture on the other thread. Were you thinking a tribal interpretation (just that design in one solid black color) or more details?

I'm not sure. I guess I'd like to see an artist interpret it in a way that's not tribal but I'm not sure...I guess I will just show them the pic and tell them I don't want anything that's scary looking? And they come up with a drawing? Is that how it works?

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] Yeah for the most part. Some artists like to draw it out and then transfer it onto you then tattoo it by tracing. Others like to draw it onto you with sharpie or pen. My artist did the transfer and I felt a lot more comfortable with that, being able to see it clearly before it was on me forever. I went with my sister when she got her tattoos and her artist prefers to draw them on so that they flow with the body better. But it was scary seeing it since the sharpie was a mess and hard for me to see where he was going with it until he actually had tattoo it on. They came out great but I still found it nerve wracking and it wasn't even on me.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
My only thing to add is when you are putting a tattoo on your foot there are different concerns, this article seems to spell out most of them:

http://www.freetattoodesigns.org/foot-tattoos.html

This one too: http://tattoo.about.com/cs/beginners/a/aa052903a.htm

The "ink migration" happened to me. I got a tattoo on the top of my foot then 4 days later I had to go back to work. I was a server at the time so I had to wear tennis shoes. Messed up my tattoo. I want to finish and fix it one day but I can't wear flip flops everyday because of work so my plan is to get it done once I start having kids, I figure if I am on maternity leave for months I can wear flip flops everyday while at home and let it heal.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Nothing to add but I am nosy and wanna see what you are thinking of. We watch all the tatoo shows and actually learn a lot that way. ;)

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
The pain on the foot isn't too bad, definitely could feel it more then the one on my wrist. But still nothing to worry about.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION]

Remember this will be something hopefully permanent, so don't go on the cheap ....
A good artist will charge $150/ hour and up..whether its black & White or full color....
Color work doesnt necessarily mean more $$. It all depends on the complexity of the design & location. For instance, the exact design on your upper arm would probably be less expensive than if it were to be on your Rib cage.

Also consider a small design will have less detail so you may not be pleased with it...
Something that may look awesome on paper will not look the same on skin...
A quarter or half dollar size is pretty small for detail work...

What design are you thinking of.?

Good Luck & Post a Pix ....

This is a perfect explanation when choosing an artist and things to keep in mind about the design.

Also - my artist did like [MENTION=2514]Sarah[/MENTION] mentioned, drew on me in sharpie. It's hard to visualize at the time but that's where it's really important that you have faith and trust your artist. I'm lucky to have a close friend who knows me well who does mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
The idea that you have is beautiful..love the design. Personal tattoos are great.

I have a bulldog portrait on my outer left ankle. It took about 2.5 hours and I paid around $150 for it. Granted, he gave me a huge discount because he had been doing stars on girls all week and was excited to do something more unique, LOL. It's easily a $300+ tattoo.

I would expect to pay bare minimum $50. Most shops have a shop minimum of around $50..around here, anyway. For something that small, I can't imagine you'd pay over $100.

Look around at LOTS of shops. I went to probably 20 before I made my choice because I wanted to make sure it was PERFECT since it's permanent. Ask questions, don't be afraid. Look at their portfolios. Have them do their interpretation of the design and make sure you like it first. The right artist will be willing to help you out. Make sure you love their work so you aren't stuck with something you hate.

As for something that small as far as placement goes..I think on the inside of your wrist could look good, or your foot. You wouldn't want to put that small of a tattoo on a bigger area, like say your shoulder or something, because a small tattoo would look kind of silly and then you'd have all of this big open canvas around it.

Members online

No members online now.