Considering a Tattoo - Advice Needed

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am considering getting a small (maybe the size of a quarter or half-dollar) tattoo. I have done some research but I am hoping I can draw on someone's experience with this big decision.

I have several questions:

1. How much can I expect to pay for this? (I don't see having it in a lot of colors or anything.)

2. Is there any place I should or should not have it placed? Naturally, given my profession (I teach history at a college) I don't want it on my forehead and I hope to have children someday so stretching is a concern.

3. How do I find a reputable tatoo parlor? (Are they still called parlors?) I know a few guys on my hockey team have tattoos (one has lots of
them) so I was thinking of asking but I wasn't sure if there was a website or anything?

Those are my specific questions but I guess if you had any other advice about getting a tattoo, I'd be interested!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Price will always vary from shop to shop. For a small tattoo with little or no color other than an outline you would expect to pay anywhere from 50 to 125 just depending on the detail, shading, colors, etc...(that's Nebraska though).

Do your research to find a reputable artist. Check out other people's experiences online. Before you get the tattoo...check out the shop. Ask to see the portfolio of the artist who will be doing the tattoo. Most shop's have all their artists books sitting somewhere that clients can sit down and look through them. The Alliance of Professional Tattooists has a website that you can check out artists and shops that are members of their organization (a google search should bring them up).

Good Luck with your tattoo! Could you tell us what you had in mind for your design? You'll have to post pics when you get it done :)

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
You will probably spend about $60-$120. I have two, a word on my wrist that cost $80 and an outline of peace dove on my foot that cost $100. I was willing to spend extra money knowing that I was getting it done at a nice tattoo shop. I am an education major so I too had to think about the placement of the tattoo, as long as you aren't getting a face or neck tattoo I am sure you will be fine, especially if it is going to be small. I found the place I go too online, in Boston we have a thing called "best of boston" and it has won for the past few years as best tattoo shop in the city, so do a little research and you will find a place near you that has good reviews!

Good luck and have fun! Getting a tattoo is a great and fun experience!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I have one on my lower back. It is smaller and the cost was 150. I got this tatoo at a very crazy time in my life when I was going through my divorce. O God, that was crazy:D!!!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Where we are they start at $30 and up. I would ask people and check out the shops. I will tell that areas that have little fat ie wrist foot ribs all hurt more than the areas with padding. I have three soon to be more..

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
If you're worried about stretch factor, go for ribs, inner arm (ouch), foot, shoulder blades, etc. Muscle-y areas hurt more but won't sag in the future.

The most important thing is to make a list of the best artists in your town (not sure where you're located), then see what their waiting lists are like. The good ones cost more per hour, but are much more skilled and quick. And of course it's permanent so you want to trust the person drawing on you, lol.

Good luck!

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
I have 2 and both were around $50 (smaller, just black ink), one on my hip and one on my upper back. I just asked my friends with tattoos where they went and who they liked there. I went in and checked out their drawing books and spoke with the artists. Then came back for my appointment.

I just made sure not to have an artist with tats or piercings that I thought were stupid.

Good luck!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I can't really answer your questions as I've never had a tattoo ever. I'm not brave enough for a tattoo. I had henna once ($35) and I thought it was awesome. And it lasted just as long as I needed it to be. Whew. Glad it disappeared when it did. LOL! Yeah, just wanted to share that. :)

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Ok so I'm sooooo curious what you are going to get! I have only two ... But they aren't small. One is a sun about the size of my hand on my back - I don't remember what I paid, it was about 8 years ago, took a few hours and was a lot of sharing - and the other is my whole right side - it is stars and clouds that start right under my arm and go down to my hip, it took 4 sittings of about 4 hours each time. The price on that is really no indicator either because my guy discounts the price as it gets bigger. Plus he's one of my very good friends.

As for placement, I always consider things like will it show in a dress? And if so, do you want it to or not want it to? I don't mind mine showing, but some people wouldn't want to worry about that for work events or family events etc. I'd like to think we are at a point that people do not judge - but they do, it's a ridiculous and frustrating reality. My thinking is that you don't ever want it to hinder you from getting something you may want, new job, promotion, etc. I hate that we even have to consider things like that but some people still just don't get it. Another thing when considering placement, talk to your tattoo artist about what it will look like in 5-10 years. How will it change over time? How will it change if your body changes, etc. For example, my tattoo on my side hasn't changed at all during my pregnancy. Which seems insane when you see the size of it. However, my guy knew I would have children in the future and made sure it's placement was in places that the body stretches least. He's constantly learning about the human body. He is very selective about placement so it flows with your body and will still look great for years. Your artist should put a stencil on your body first so you can see what it will look like.

It's hard for me to give you ideas on how to choose an artist because I know mine so well. I would ask people who have tattoos that you like where they got theirs. Word of mouth is often the best indicator of not only talent but demeanor, cleanliness, etc. (Knowing my guy personally, I also know he is OCD like me. Another factor to ease my mind - his shop is always immaculate.)

Well, I hope this helps a little. Ultimately, go with your gut on everything. It's your body and you have to love it forever!

I'll have to look and see if I have some pics of my guys work - he's done both mine and my brother. My brother's so really amazing. It's a constant work in progress. It goes from his chest, over his shoulder and down to his elbow. He keeps adding to it. Really, really sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
I would definately start by asking people you know. That's the best way to find a good artist in your area. I wouldn't even put price as a factor in my choice, you have it FOREVER, an extra $50 or so is no big deal in the long run. With it being that small it would have to have very little detail (simple shape). My tattoo is on my foot. I think it is the perfect place, easy to show off when I want to, and easy to hide when I don't/can't. I want one on my shoulder but I'm holding off until after I get married. I don't want my tattoo hanging out in my wedding pictures (silly I know). Good luck! Post pictures when you get it!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION]

Remember this will be something hopefully permanent, so don't go on the cheap ....
A good artist will charge $150/ hour and up..whether its black & White or full color....
Color work doesnt necessarily mean more $$. It all depends on the complexity of the design & location. For instance, the exact design on your upper arm would probably be less expensive than if it were to be on your Rib cage.

Also consider a small design will have less detail so you may not be pleased with it...
Something that may look awesome on paper will not look the same on skin...
A quarter or half dollar size is pretty small for detail work...

What design are you thinking of.?

Good Luck & Post a Pix ....

Dayna524

Sep 4, 2011
South Bend,IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci
I have 13 tattoos. Everyone has already given great advice. I picked my artist out looking at his book in the shop. Most have them online. I always went in with the idea of small. They will tell you it's hard to get a lot of detail in them when they are small. Every time I ended up having to get them larger to show detail. Be prepared for that. One of my favorites, of course,is my bulldog on my foot.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for the advice everyone! Much appreciated!

I posted a pic of the tattoo I am thinking of here in the Members Only area since it's personal.

[MENTION=3164]Dayna524[/MENTION] [MENTION=2514]Sarah[/MENTION] [MENTION=4081]mcraven2[/MENTION] - I was thinking of getting a tattoo on my foot...but I heard it is extremely painful. Since I have never had a tattoo, I am concerned but I have a high threshold for pain. How bad was it?

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] My tattoo on my foot was my first (and only as of right now). People really tried to scare me about it too. And honestly, it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone was saying it would be. At first it actually tickled. It only started to hurt when shading over areas multiple times and even then it wasn't terrible.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.