I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Considering a Tattoo - Advice Needed

So much good advice above, nothing more to add except can't wait to see it!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the advice everyone! Much appreciated!

I posted a pic of the tattoo I am thinking of here in the Members Only area since it's personal.

@Dayna524 @Sarah @mcraven2 - I was thinking of getting a tattoo on my foot...but I heard it is extremely painful. Since I have never had a tattoo, I am concerned but I have a high threshold for pain. How bad was it?

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brooklyn and Franklin
    Likes (Received)

@sheshistory My tattoo on my foot was my first (and only as of right now). People really tried to scare me about it too. And honestly, it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone was saying it would be. At first it actually tickled. It only started to hurt when shading over areas multiple times and even then it wasn't terrible.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brooklyn and Franklin
    Likes (Received)

P.S. I just saw the picture on the other thread. Were you thinking a tribal interpretation (just that design in one solid black color) or more details?

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    P.S. I just saw the picture on the other thread. Were you thinking a tribal interpretation (just that design in one solid black color) or more details?
    I'm not sure. I guess I'd like to see an artist interpret it in a way that's not tribal but I'm not sure...I guess I will just show them the pic and tell them I don't want anything that's scary looking? And they come up with a drawing? Is that how it works?

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brooklyn and Franklin
    Likes (Received)

@sheshistory Yeah for the most part. Some artists like to draw it out and then transfer it onto you then tattoo it by tracing. Others like to draw it onto you with sharpie or pen. My artist did the transfer and I felt a lot more comfortable with that, being able to see it clearly before it was on me forever. I went with my sister when she got her tattoos and her artist prefers to draw them on so that they flow with the body better. But it was scary seeing it since the sharpie was a mess and hard for me to see where he was going with it until he actually had tattoo it on. They came out great but I still found it nerve wracking and it wasn't even on me.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

My only thing to add is when you are putting a tattoo on your foot there are different concerns, this article seems to spell out most of them:

http://www.freetattoodesigns.org/foot-tattoos.html

This one too: http://tattoo.about.com/cs/beginners/a/aa052903a.htm

The "ink migration" happened to me. I got a tattoo on the top of my foot then 4 days later I had to go back to work. I was a server at the time so I had to wear tennis shoes. Messed up my tattoo. I want to finish and fix it one day but I can't wear flip flops everyday because of work so my plan is to get it done once I start having kids, I figure if I am on maternity leave for months I can wear flip flops everyday while at home and let it heal.
    Last edited by TessaAndSamson; 02-01-2012 at 03:35 PM.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing to add but I am nosy and wanna see what you are thinking of. We watch all the tatoo shows and actually learn a lot that way.

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The pain on the foot isn't too bad, definitely could feel it more then the one on my wrist. But still nothing to worry about.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    @sheshistory

Remember this will be something hopefully permanent, so don't go on the cheap ....
    A good artist will charge $150/ hour and up..whether its black & White or full color....
    Color work doesnt necessarily mean more $$. It all depends on the complexity of the design & location. For instance, the exact design on your upper arm would probably be less expensive than if it were to be on your Rib cage.

Also consider a small design will have less detail so you may not be pleased with it...
    Something that may look awesome on paper will not look the same on skin...
    A quarter or half dollar size is pretty small for detail work...

What design are you thinking of.?

Good Luck & Post a Pix ....
    This is a perfect explanation when choosing an artist and things to keep in mind about the design.

Also - my artist did like @Sarah mentioned, drew on me in sharpie. It's hard to visualize at the time but that's where it's really important that you have faith and trust your artist. I'm lucky to have a close friend who knows me well who does mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

The idea that you have is beautiful..love the design. Personal tattoos are great.

I have a bulldog portrait on my outer left ankle. It took about 2.5 hours and I paid around $150 for it. Granted, he gave me a huge discount because he had been doing stars on girls all week and was excited to do something more unique, LOL. It's easily a $300+ tattoo.

I would expect to pay bare minimum $50. Most shops have a shop minimum of around $50..around here, anyway. For something that small, I can't imagine you'd pay over $100.

Look around at LOTS of shops. I went to probably 20 before I made my choice because I wanted to make sure it was PERFECT since it's permanent. Ask questions, don't be afraid. Look at their portfolios. Have them do their interpretation of the design and make sure you like it first. The right artist will be willing to help you out. Make sure you love their work so you aren't stuck with something you hate.

As for something that small as far as placement goes..I think on the inside of your wrist could look good, or your foot. You wouldn't want to put that small of a tattoo on a bigger area, like say your shoulder or something, because a small tattoo would look kind of silly and then you'd have all of this big open canvas around it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads