Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
IMG_1153.jpg

My realtor presented me with this beautiful orchid arrangement yesterday. I love it but i don't know how to care for it so that the orchid will last awhile. Can anyone here give me some tips? i believe sunlight is necessary...but that's really all i know. I wanted to ask here b4 googling this. Thanks to all my friends with green thumbs!:cool2:

L

Lucy-licious

All I can say is don't take any advise from me cos I kill all things plantlike!!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Me too Angie!! :(

hey, I thought [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] had a green thumb? i recall Bruce and Lari's yard to be very lovely.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Boy, did YOU think wrong!!! I'm just the common labor and do whatever Im told to do by 'she who must be obeyed'. ;)

Lari says to put 2-3 ice cubes in the pot, once a week. It will flower about once a year... maybe twice.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
that's it?! i can handle that! :dance:
you guys are too cool, thanks [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] (oh , and Bruce too) :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Henny, I have several orchids. The important thing is that the roots never stand in water. That will rot them and kill the plant faster than anything. That's why the ice cubes work. When the flowers all die and drop off the stem will likely stay green. Buy a Fake Orchid flower and attach it to that stem with the little clips that are likely already there attaching the stem to a support post....that's what I do with mine between when they flower.
If the stem turns brown then cut it off, and it'll put out new stems other years, but if it stays green it will get more flowers on it next year.

H

heff101

View attachment 16636

My realtor presented me with this beautiful orchid arrangement yesterday. I love it but i don't know how to care for it so that the orchid will last awhile. Can anyone here give me some tips? i believe sunlight is necessary...but that's really all i know. I wanted to ask here b4 googling this. Thanks to all my friends with green thumbs!:cool2:

Wait for it to die then go buy another one!

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Sounds like [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] has this one covered. Thanks goodness. Before we got Brooke people told us to get a plant to see how well we could care for something. We got a bamboo plant which is supposed to be unkillable...Well it can be killed. haha It's a good thing Brooke is a lot more fun and adorable than a plant I guess.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
being in Florida I actually have my hanging outside in a shady area. I just make sure I soak them well about once a week. Just run the hose over them. They are in baskets so they drain real well. I have never had to feed them, but we also have perfect conditions. In the freeze times I bring them in, if they need to be in for a long time, I will just run water through them from the kitchen spout. Different orchids bloom at different rates. I have a couple that constantly bloom. Some that are once a year and some that are about every 3-4 months.

it looks like you have what they call a Moth orchid, they will keep there blooms for a long time and will bloom a couple times a year. No direct sunlight.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
It is beautiful!!

I can't keep plants alive, lol. Ever. My boyfriend bought me fake flowers so I wouldn't kill them!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My suggestion: enjoy it while you can and toss it when it goes belly up. I've profoundly green thumbs - but I can't keep an orchid alive.

P5170052.jpg <== driveway pots for proof of green thumbs LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.