I got an orchid...now what do i do?

Takabout Bulldogs

Jan 19, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Moo
View attachment 16636

My realtor presented me with this beautiful orchid arrangement yesterday. I love it but i don't know how to care for it so that the orchid will last awhile. Can anyone here give me some tips? i believe sunlight is necessary...but that's really all i know. I wanted to ask here b4 googling this. Thanks to all my friends with green thumbs!:cool2:

Orchids are not as exotic and scary as they may seem at first. I think they do well on what I call benign neglect :-). This looks to be a phalenopsis(I can't spell a, but I hope you can figure out what I mean). They do well in bright light, eastern light seems to be the best I've found. They can handle direct sunlight here in the winter(VA), but need filtered indirect light in summer. I put mine on the front porch in the spring as soon as freeze is no danger and leave it there until usually early/mid October. Water them well, but don't make them soggy. Let them get dry between waterings and give them diluted fertlizer once a month or so. I sometimes will sit them out in the rain and let nature provide food for it. Good luck and enjoy. They can become addictive :-)

Members online

No members online now.