Splurge on an iPad2 or wait for the iPad3?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My parents asked us to get them one, but do you think they should wait until the newer version comes out? Been looking into it and rumours say that it'll come out late Feb. But those are only rumours.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I did a bit of seating and it doesn't sound like anyone knows for sure what the new unit will have. It sounded like a new screen technology may be used but beyond that everything they are saying is what someone thinks it might have. Wait and see I guess.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
That's what I found too. I guess a couple of months isn't too far away.

L

Lucy-licious

I'm trying my best to convince Chris that I need a new IPad, and that since the 3 is coming soon I'm would be prepared to wait longer than I really want :rofl:
My pleas are falling on deaf ears though :(

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm a giant Apple fan since the 80's...

My advice to you: unless you're a tech junkie, I'd say you have two choices - if you really want something now, get the iPad2. If you can wait until about April or so, then wait for the iPad3 release and get the iPad2 for much less.

If you're a tech junkie and a 2046x1536 resolution machine makes a big difference to you... or you want to start a love affair with Siri (which, even a tech junkie like myself can't find much use for in a tablet - I mean, outside of the "Computer, set a course for the Delta quadrant" coolness factor)... then by all means, wait until April and get the iPad3.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
FYI... There was NO price reduction on the original iPad when the iPad2 came out so don't bet the farm that you will get an iPad 2 cheap just because the iPad 3 is out.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Knowing my parents, they'd probably play with it for the first month or so then forget about it after. Either that, or my bro who still lives with them will hog it. lol. Or my sis who just moved out will take it.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
:hmm: sounds like your heart isn't in this gift! :ROFL:

Actually, my sis and I bought them a Keurig. But they asked if I can return it and get them an iPad instead because they like their old coffee maker. They promised to pay me the diff seeing they want the 64gig one. Kinda sad when parents have more up to date technology than their kids. :blink: :sarcastic:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Actually, my sis and I bought them a Keurig. But they asked if I can return it and get them an iPad instead because they like their old coffee maker. They promised to pay me the diff seeing they want the 64gig one. Kinda sad when parents have more up to date technology than their kids. :blink: :sarcastic:

:laugh: YUP......we had Ipads before our kids too! Bought one for our grandaughter tho..for Christmas..actually a family gift...It Must Be ROUGH to have such COOL parents..:tease:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
FYI... There was NO price reduction on the original iPad when the iPad2 came out so don't bet the farm that you will get an iPad 2 cheap just because the iPad 3 is out.

Bruce, I don't know where you got this info. I have an iPad and an iPad2. When the iPad2 release was announced last February, the price of the iPad dropped by $100 on every model. For those who bought the iPad within the 14-day return window when the price change came into effect, they were given the option to apply for a refund on the price difference.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Ummm or the IPhones! The 4 is still $$$$

The phones are different matter because they are sold with cell carrier contract. And yes, I also have all the versions of iPhone from the original Edge (yes, it's a relic now!) to the 4S and every single version upgrade has always had an accompanying price drop of the old model prior to the release of the new one. The iPhone 4 price drop was only $50 (some retailers have different price points - like Radioshack had some kind of promotion going on 2 weeks prior to the release of 4S) but it's still a drop. The big cut was the 3Gs price when 4S release was imminent. Apple sold the 8Gb 3Gs for $49 with a new AT&T contract last February. And the 3Gs is no slouch of a phone.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Knowing my parents, they'd probably play with it for the first month or so then forget about it after. Either that, or my bro who still lives with them will hog it. lol. Or my sis who just moved out will take it.

Ooooh... I don't know... this is what I thought too when I got my dad his very own iPad... this guy retired at age 49 when they replaced his admin assistant with a computer. He refused to transition from his pen and paper chemical formulae and dictated memos to the IBM PC. He finally learned to send personal email instead of snail mail but he still dictated his emails to my sister! So, I got him this iPad and man... he can't be separated from that thing. He even writes his own emails now, reads electronic newspapers and books and plays games. And my mom is now a facebook regular. They fight like little kids over "sharing" the iPad. My dad got cancer and he even got stuck some more on the iPad researching treatment methods, American medical processes (he came to the US from the Philippines to get treated at the cancer center in Houston), etc. etc.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.