Hardwood floors

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
I have hardwood floors....im highly allergic to carpets so i put down a medium colored oak when i bought my condo. My issue is keeping them shiny...i can get the dog slobber off but end up with streaks...any suggestions to get them shiny and remove the slobber. I do windex em which is suggested but it will only get the slobber so much

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We do the mop and dry process, I mop, the kids dry behind me. But in between my wipe ups are streaky too, I also use just dawn dish soap to clean them.

I have a steam mop too-- that leaves tons of streaks. So now it sits!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Ohhh [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], those steam mops don't work???? I have tile throughout my whole house and I was wanting one of those. Trust me [MENTION=2659]nyerathrt[/MENTION], I don't think it matters what kind of floor you have, bully slobber is the worse!! It is slimy and just spreads out instead of mops up!!! I mop my kitchen several times a day after Vegas drinks, the slobber just rolls with the mop.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] We have a steam mop and Bev loves it, but we have tile not wood.

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], my whole house is tile, so it does work and Bev loves it? which one do you have? I am looking at the Shark.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] I don't remember, but will look tomorrow when I get home and will PM you.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
My boss just bought a shark steam mop recently at my suggestion when she was lamenting about her 10 year old white linoleum and how even minor scratches were so tough to get clean. She said she really likes it, but also said she used Murphy's oil soap (in a spray bottle) with it. Apparently it says you shouldn't need a chemical cleaner just the steam.

She said she does walk on towels as shes mopping to ensure it's completely dry behind her, but it does make the chore much easier. Oh and my boss is a neat freak to the extreme just like you [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION].

Last edited by a moderator:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Murphy's Oil Soap (Squirt & Mop) is wonderful on wood floors. My kitchen has wood floors and I use it all the time. It adds a nice shine without the slickness. I love it!!!

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
My boss just bought a shark steam mop recently at my suggestion when she was lamenting about her 10 year old white linoleum and how even minor scratches were so tough to get clean. She said she really likes it, but also said she used Murphy's oil soap (in a spray bottle) with it. Apparently it says you shouldn't need a chemical cleaner just the steam.

She said she does walk on towels as shes mopping to ensure it's completely dry behind her, but it does make the chore much easier. Oh and my boss is a neat freak to the extreme just like you [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION].

I would not say to the extreme :laugh:, I am just anal and it makes me nervous to have a dirty house. UUmmm...pretty sure my shrink said slight OCD problems along with my ADHD, if something throws me off my schedule I just want to bark, wonder where Vegas gets that??? I drive Joe nutso, I think he now needs a shrink :ROFL:

OP
nyerathrt

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i have a steam mop and i do really like it but it streaks to no end. the pad when i am done is filthy. i might try the murphy oil squirt and mop in a bottle and do the steamer with it. today i used the murphys oil with a dry mop but it didn't pick up a lot of dirt...it did get the slobber marks but i can still see that streaky residue. ughhhhhhh ...the floors look great in pics..up close not so much

oh and i am totally anal about my condo...neat freak here..total organization freak...everything has it's place and when i leave for work and my place is not neat it drives me bonkers

Last edited:

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I have hardwood floors....im highly allergic to carpets so i put down a medium colored oak when i bought my condo. My issue is keeping them shiny...i can get the dog slobber off but end up with streaks...any suggestions to get them shiny and remove the slobber. I do windex em which is suggested but it will only get the slobber so much

It's really funny you posted this. My hard wood and laminate wood floors always look streaky;(. My friends floors always shine like new. Here's what she does, and I'm trying tomorrow. Mix your Mr. Clean or whatever floor cleaner you use and water in a mop bucket. Squirt Murphy's oil soap on floor(small area at a time) then dip mop in bucket and mop over the murphys oil. Make sure not to leave puddles. I do love my shark steam mop for all my tile/ linoleum floors but it makes my hardwood look dull and streaky.

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
I have the shark steam mop, I use it on the laminate hardwood, it gets the slobber spots off but you have to go over it a few times. I have also used the bruce hardwood cleaner in a green spray bottle from lowes, it works pretty good. The steam mop works really good on linoleum!

Last edited:

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Try a mixture of vinegar plus warm
Water. I think the ratio is 1/4c white vinegar to a gallon water. You can google to double check... I just add a couple glugs. It's gentle on your floors, but removes all residue from other soaps/cleaners, plus it's natural. It only smells until it dries, but you can add a squeeze of Leno. Or orange.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have a Bissel steam mop and I love it! Both of my daughters got one and they love it too! I don't have any streaking..maybe it's the water type that matters? I've had it for years and still love it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.