Hate this or Like it????

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Joe got me this canopy netting for over the bed for Christmas, I hated it when I opened it, I did not say it but I did, then he hung it last night. I then had the balls to say...I really don't like it....He wants me to let it hang for a couple of days to see if I can get used to it. I keep going into the bedroom and looking at it and I still am not in love with it. When you go to bed at night you put the netting behind the headboard so that does not bother me. So what do you think?? and don't be afraid to say you hate it, I thought it the minute I seen it, lol.

bed001.jpg

bed002.jpg

bed004.jpg

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Now that Christmas is over I have to get some art work, maybe that will make it look better with a couple of pics on either side of the bed and some lamps on the night stands??

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I'm with Joe on this one.
You said you were going for a tropical look.....and that's about as tropical as you can get.
Reminds me of the fancy Caribbean resort hotels you see in the commercials.

And yes some artwork and accessories will help complete the look.

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Yeah, I kind of agree... it is very tropical but needs accessories to make it look right. My only negative is that I like your headboard so much I hope it does distract from that.

krystalturner2222

Dec 27, 2011
Midland Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
I think it looks okay it doesnt look horrible, a diffrent color would look better though. If you dont like it i would just tell him (:

L

Lucy-licious

I can't say I'm all that enamoured, but I'd definately leave it and see wht it looks like when pics and accessories are in place.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I don't think that it looks bad, but it does look very bland against the wall and your bedroom colors. That's the first thought that came to my mind anyhoots. Bland. Does it get in the way when you're sleeping? If it stays, you need to get some stuff on the the wall that themes with the headboard to pull that out again since it takes away from from your headboard now.

Seems like a pain to deal with everyday but that's just me. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I love canopies and fabric but hadnt seen it done this way. I have the actual bed that is huge with the metal bars all over it with my shear curtains hanging. I am not sure about this cuz it does almost look like it would smother you while you sleep, no? lol. Give it some time and see how you like it. Or you could somehow get Joe to make you a way to hang fabric without that circle thingy and be more natural if you like?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
My other thought looking at your pic is that you need floor length sheer drapes, not the window length ones you currently have. The contrast between the canopy and window length just doesn't mesh for me.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I LOVE NETTING! I love those things. I don't have it in my room because my husband don't like that stuff - he feels it's too girlie and he's super allergic to girlie stuff. So, yeah, I'm so envious that your husband actually like that stuff! I grew up in the Philippines and mosquito netting is a must in my grandparent's house as well as several of my aunts/uncles houses. Their rooms look something like this:
Fotolia_15240141_Subscription_L_1.jpg

So netting makes me feel like "home". That type of netting you got is "princessy" though. It's a little bit difficult look to pull off in a master's bedroom - it's easier on a little girl's room. I would prefer a full canopy in a master's bedroom to make it look more like a 4-poster - more adult-like. Something like this:
bed-curtain-canopy.jpg

But, you can make that netting you got work. I wouldn't bother putting it behind the headboard. It's good just as it is. If it bothers you while you sleep, you can permanently drape it behind the headboard too and it would still work.

Did you want a tropical look? I can't tell what color your walls are. In the picture, it looks bluish matching the bluish stripes on your bed covers. Your canopy looks like it's pink and it matches your curtains, so the blue and pink is a departure from tropical. [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] is right that it would look better with floor-length curtains. Your bed covers, if my eyes are right, looks like it has beiges and gold - that would work great with tropical design especially with the dark wood furniture, so you can play up that color and make the bluish/pink accents. So, with the wall color you have, I'd go for a giant frame - the width of the bed and almost to the ceiling to provide the backdrop for that canopy netting - in cream/beige tones of the bedcover. Then I'd complement it with narrow tall frames flanking each side of the same color, or just go with wall-mounted wall sconces that are tall or project light vertically on the wall to hang on the wall instead of table lamps. It seems like you have a narrow wall... if you can squeeze some greenery next to the window that would play up the tropical feel. If you can't fit that, then a tall vase with spindly orchids on the side tables would work to bring out tropical as well.

Check this one out:
Household-Round-Mosquito-Mesh-Bed-Canopies-Netting_1.jpg

It shows a giant frame working with the net.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I think the curtains are white, not pink. You nailed it tho [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] it has that princessy look. I wonder if it was hung more in the center of the bed it would look more like the pic you posted, the first one. That I do like a lot although I am sure living with it might drive me crazy still. This is how mine is but now I have chocolate brown shears and much prettier bedding. Oh and that godawful peach fan is now painted to be chocolate as well. (or the blades are)
cid_AA426EA4780F11DB993EBEF7CFF086B.jpg

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
We used to have the square netting like the 2nd photo posted in anatess' post. At the time we had a "jungle" type bedroom. I think if you leave it until you finish with accessories, maybe it will all go together.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I really like canopy netting, so I think it looks okay. Maybe you just need to play with it a bit like the other suggestions and try different looks. I also used to have a canopy bed but it was more of the 4-post kind and hung from the ceiling. I loved it and we had a tropical motif in our bedroom as well. It always made me feel relaxed like I was on vacation. My hubby now though would hate having that around him because he is a little claustrophobic.

L

Lucy-licious

Maybe if it's bothering you too much at the side of the bed, instead of tucking it behind the headboard get some hooks or something to help draw them back xx

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Maybe if it's bothering you too much at the side of the bed, instead of tucking it behind the headboard get some hooks or something to help draw them back xx

This is an awesome suggestion!

Oh, I forgot to mention on the curtains - it doesn't just look better floor-length, it looks better when it's as tall as the netting too - so you can raise the curtain closer to the ceiling and all the way to the floor.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.