My Luggage Stinks...Literally!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My parents bought me a nice set of luggage for Christmas. It's hard-sided luggage that came in a three piece set.

My problem is that it stinks. Bad! It emits a very chemically odor on the inside and out.

I noticed it immediately, opened all the pieces up, took them outside, and let them air out for a couple days. I also sprayed some Febreeze on the interior and placed some fabric softener sheets in the interior pockets. The luggage still stinks and I am concerned not only about storing it in my house (yes, it smells that strongly) but also that it will make my clothing smell when I travel.

Has anyone ever had this issue or have any ideas how I might eliminate that chemical odor for the interior and/or exterior of my luggage?

Thank you! Thank you!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My daughter got some chairs once that had been shipped by container..I'm thinking from China..they had that same chemical like odor. They left them in the garage for months because they couldn't return them. Good news is the smell went away totally. We were told by a friend who imports..the smell came from sprays used in the containers to kill stuff! :eek: Maybe your luggage came the same way???

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yes, it was in a 'Made in China' box.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..they tried everything! Lemon juice..baking soda and vinegar..but only time took care of it! But your luggage is not wood..so maybe try some of those remedies on it. Imagine this! They also spray the containers of food that come in! Like nuts,etc! Nasty!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I looked this up and found some helpful tips (including the baking soda idea Becky suggested)

Instructions
    • 1Place sachets filled with cat litter into your suitcase, as suggested by the University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service. Litter box filler is an effective odor remover.

• 2Punch holes into the lid of a small jar or container such as a baby food jar or a small empty margarine tub. Use a nail or something similar to puncture the lid. Fill this container with baking soda and place it in the closed suitcase so that it won't accidentally spill. Baking soda neutralizes and absorbs odors. If any baking soda does spill in the luggage, just vacuum it up.

• 3Dampen some paper towels with white distilled vinegar and tuck them inside a plastic bag that you leave open. Close the suitcase and leave the paper towels overnight. The vinegar works to absorb and neutralize the odor. The next morning, unzip the suitcase and let it air out for about an hour; the vinegar odor and the new luggage smell should be gone.

• 4Collect the travel size soaps that hotels provide and slip them into the pockets and larger areas of your luggage. They will replace the luggage odor with a fresh, clean scen

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for the suggestions [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] - I am in the process of trying the baking soda idea so I'll let you know how it works out. I can't believe how strongly it smells. When I'm out of my house for the day, when I come back in, I smell it right away. Awful.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.