This or That: Gift card or Actual Present?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
What do you prefer giving for the holidays to your family and friends? A gift card or an actual present you hunted down yourself?

For me, I love looking for just the right present for people rather than giving a gift card. Of course, I LUV receiving either one! :)
For my last b-day my bro's family gave me a gift card for Petsmart...that was Heavenly!

What do you prefer to give?

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I like gift cards to receive as gifts cuz who doesnt love shopping BUT I feel like a big cheat if I buy them. I prefer to buy a good gift for whoever I am buying for. BUT if I cant come up with a great idea I do go with a gift card.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I usually give cash to my kids and teenage grandkids. Too often they have something they are saving for and not available in the gift card store so their parents would buy the gift card from them....

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Something I made myself.

Things I've made before for the adults:
1.) Apron painted with sayings like "If I burn your burger, Fire me." using Fabric paint.
2.) Breakfast tray painted with flowers I learned to paint using Donna Dewberry's video (I am completely un-artistic - but, I am very good at following step-by-step instructions).
3.) Decorative couch pillows with family pictures ironed-on to the fabric.

Some stuff I made for the kids:
1.) Wooden door hangers
2.) Crochet blankets/caps
3.) Breakfast cereal bowls I painted at the ceramics place (it used to be really popular before to paint these ceramic items at these craft places and they burn it at the kiln and you pick it up a week later).

Anyway, I ask the parents what the kids like - most of them don't really care for crafty things - they either say they want a particular toy or a gift card... and I try to give them what they want within the budget.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I kinda do both! I love..love to get THE perfect gift. But one times I have absolutely zero ideas :bang: so I get a gift card to their favorite store. Usually I give a gift to go with the gift card..like a nice coffee travel mug with a Starbucks card..movie passes..with their favorite cndy..etc. @anatess ..last Christmas I took my grand kids and had a big platter made at a local ceramic Paint n Play! We put their handprints on it and painted in their colors! They :luv: it! And my granddaughter kept her lips shut!

I STILL sneak gift cards to Target for both my girls in their stockings. We do love to go to their after Christmas sale!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
It's really fun reading everyone's responses AND i'm getting some great ideas from you all as well!! :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I prefer giving gifts. But this year we have decided to give gift cards to my son and grandkids because being long distance grandparents we really don't know what they have or don't have toy wise, or even what sizes to buy in clothes.

L

Lucy-licious

Always a gift unless someone actually asks for a giftcard :)

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
I always try for a gift ... Some of my family members really prefer a gift card so I will give in. For example, my brother's fiancée LOVES Starbucks so I often get her gift cards for there. She is always ecstatic! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I always buy gifts. I love giving people things they may not buy for themselves - little treats!

Also, if people are like me, I always end up using gift cards to buy other people stuff instead of myself.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I don't really like buying gift cards ... I just think a present is much more personal, and I get the fun of wrapping it up too!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.