Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I am beyond frustrated and about to lose it.

You guys all know how excited I was to get my job at Petco. I've been working there what..about two months now? I'm in the grooming salon, I'm supposed to be a grooming apprentice.

First of all, I'll start with my grievances in the actual salon itself. It took them forever to train me how to do anything with the phones and such. I had to teach myself, which was embarrassing when people called and I didn't know how to do stuff. But I did eventually figure it out after no one would help me. The salon manager was supposed to teach me and never did. The other girls tried but didn't have time because they were busy with grooms, which is understandable. Not their job anyway. Mindy, the salon manager, had said that I would get at minimum 20 hours a week and she'd start my grooming training pretty much right away. I get like 10 hours..maybe 15 if I'm LUCKY. She hasn't trained me at all yet. I can't afford my car. I got turned into collections for Delilah's vet bill because I missed payments because of this job screwing me over. I had to call them today and give them what little money I had to get out of collections. I don't know if she even plans on training me to groom. I'm so eager to learn. I don't get why they don't start. I help them with everything..I do HER bath dogs and let her have the commission. Supposedly she's going to start training me in January. We'll see.

Now, I love all the girls in the salon. We all get along great. It's this stupid b*tch of a store manager that I can't stand..Janet.

She has decided she absolutely hates me and has made it her goal to make me miserable. I hate complaining, I seriously do. But this has just gotten..bad. I'm currently fighting kidney stones and a kidney infection with no medication. It was worse a couple weeks ago when this started going down. She basically came in to the salon, while I was doing stuff, and told me I HAD to come out on the floor and talk to customers. Um. I'm not trained to do that. I don't know what you want me to do. So I went out..and I did it for a bit, then came back to the salon. She came in later for a second time and made me do it again. At this point I'm in agonizing pain from walking around with this kidney pain. I go back in after 20 minutes. She then comes back a THIRD TIME and tells me I need to get out there. At this point everyone in the salon is just mutually saying "wtf" because it is NOT OUR JOB to go out there. I told her, "Janet..I'm really not in the best of moods today" which I know I shouldn't have said. She then proceeds to tell me if I want to be unruly I can just go home. I try telling her that walking around like this seriously hurts because of my kidneys but she wouldn't listen to me..she just acted like she didn't hear me even though I tried repeating it.
That day I was going to the bathroom a lot. Hello, kidney infection. She started FOLLOWING ME TO THE BATHROOM. What. the. heck. What else would I be doing in there, Janet?? Seriously?? Then she started sending in other girls after me after she'd been following me for awhile!! Ugh. That day was horrible.

There's been more instances since then. She's made me leave early for no reason. She's been asking other people in the grooming salon questions about me. She told them I can't bring Delilah to work to bathe anymore because I do it too much. I've brought her TWICE. Once I did it after my shift then I did it a second time on my day off. We're supposed to be able to bring them in whenever as long as we aren't on the clock. Which I wasn't. Delilah needs a dang bath and I can't bring her to work now. Everyone else is allowed to. This other girl that's my age, Carrie, she brings one of her dogs every DAY to work. No one says anything to her! But I do it and oh dear lord it's horrible. It is my right to groom my dog there. I don't even use their equipment. I bring my own nail clippers and dremel and everything!!

She saw me walking a bulldog outside yesterday and assumed it was Delilah. It wasn't. It was Deuce, a dog I was grooming. He started pooping all over while I was grooming him. Nonstop poop. I couldn't take it anymore and took him outside to go to the bathroom so it would stop. Apparently we aren't supposed to take the dogs out. NO ONE TOLD ME THIS. uggggh. So I'm in trouble for that now. And Janet is convinced I was outside playing with Delilah while I was on the clock. That dog looks NOTHING like Delilah. It's like twice the size!!!

I got yelled at yesterday for not smiling enough. Really? I smile all the time at customers and in the salon. I get tipped a lot, people like me. I'm nice to them. I like my job, I like the dogs. But am I going to smile at her? no.

She's saying she's going to write me up and blah blah blah. I haven't done anything wrong. I've never missed a day. Never been late. I'm always early. I stayed late to do some extra dogs that the owner's really wanted in the other day..and those dogs were horrible and a flea infested mess and it was awful. Did I make any commission? No, that was Petco's pocket and I still stayed to do it.

It's gotten to the point where I dread going to work. I hate Janet. She is just horrible to me. She doesn't pick on anyone else. I don't get what I did. I'm seriously super friendly and a huge push over. I'll do what anyone says. I don't have a confrontational personality. I'm a people pleaser.

Today after Gina was telling me what all Janet was saying I broke down and sat on the floor and cried. I was a mess. I had Delilah there and I called Tim and had him come get her so I wouldn't get in trouble. So she didn't get a bath. I just cried and cried and cried because I was so looking forward to this job and it's turning into a disaster. I shouldn't be crying at work.

Oh, and to make matters worse, my mom said tonight that my just was stupid and required no skill, and that I needed to stop being a dumb a*s and get a degree so I can have a not worthless job.

thanks for listening and reading..I just really needed to vent.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Ah lauren! This is just so terrible! Big hugs to you, girl!

Unfortunately, difficult managers are like mushrooms - they're everywhere! We kinda just have to figure out how to survive them. Is there a way some of the other groomers in the salon can vouch for you? Like when you had kidney infection and all that. Maybe Janet-witch will listen to the other groomers. Or about training you... maybe they can put her on the spot by asking her why you're not earning commission yet.

Also, you can ask her straight out, "Hey Janet, may I bring Delilah after my shift tomorrow to groom? The last time I took her in was X days ago...". Then, it will look really bad on her if she says No...

Also, is there another big box pet store there, like a PetSmart? Now that you got some experience down your belt, you can use that in your application. Or, if there's another PetCo close to you, you can probably get a transfer.

In any case, just keep trucking. I truly believe in Karma - what goes around, comes around. So, don't let Janet-witch bother you. You are a good person and I like that you recognize that about you. You know she's just one of those idiot managers we have put up with. Grrrr.

BIG HUGS!

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] thanks so much for your post. I know there's bad managers everywhere--I've had one at every job I've had. This though just takes the cake!!!

I'm not ready to earn commission yet really, as I can't do full service grooms..i.e. hair cuts. I do bathes, brushing, ear cleaning, and nail trimming. So basically everything except the hair cut.

There's a Petsmart down the road actually. If this keeps getting worse I am seriously considering going down there and talking to them because I want to learn. I just feel bad leaving.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'd hang onto that crappy job and seek a real training program somewhere for dog grooming. There has to be one somewhere.
Get on the fast track to graduation; buckle down and absorb all you can.
Then you can tell that place goodbye.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] believe me, I want to go to training school. But it's $4,000.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Lauren..I'm not going to make this a long post. We all have people like that manager in our lives. You wanted that position, you went out and got it and personally I wouldn't let one person make me miserable. So you can't bring Delilah for a bath, that's NOT the end of the world. So you perceive you are being treated unfairly, that's the way it is sometimes. So you don't think you are learning the right things. I think you are. Learning how to adapt to different people and work in all kinds of environments is a huge lesson. Especially if you want to work in a service industry. Don't blame this job for any financial problems you are having. You knew the hours would be limited. If you let the negativity win..you will be stuck in it all your life. I also think, if you quit and move to petsmart without learning anything about grooming, you've wasted a good opportunity. And I certainly would NOT get involved in any he said she said with other employees. I think you should ask for a "clear the air" chat with your manager. Ask her what YOU can do to improve the situation. If you can't handle what they expect, then move on. But do it without holding a grudge and blaming anyone. Take the positive that you've learned..leave the negative behind.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
adding to the great advise from Becky,
Remember you've been there only 2 months. Its customary for a trial period to be 3 months so that manager may be putting you thru the ringer to see what you are made of.
Dont worry about the benefits that others are getting. Hold on and just let it be know that you are willing to do anything to learn... Even if it means to walk the isles and talk to customers...

Now, more importantly, You somehow need to cure your kidney stones issue...
A kidney infection can lead to mayor problems down the line. Will you have health insurance after the 3rd month.? If just for that, I would hold on to this Job...

Good luck with the Meanie Manager...

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Why don't you ask her if you can have a talk with her and then tell her exactly what you have just told us. You are not seeing it from her side and I'm sure she has a different view of the situation than you do. IF you don't, you are either going to quit or be fired.
I have hired and fired hundreds of people so I know what Im talking about.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry you are having the problems, but I'm like everyone else, I would ask her for a meeting to see what you can do to please her, and see if you two can work it out. Good luck and keep us posted.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
All great advice. I have to say 1. Do not mess around with a kidney infection! I had one a while back and my gawd it was some of the worst pain ever. You can do serious damage if not cleared up and that is not worth it. You need antibiotics.

If you decide this job is too much then do not quit before getting a diff job. This is a problem a lot of people have. They quit thinking it will be easy to find a replacement, not so much. Even if you love this job I think keeping your eyes and options open to a better one isnt a bad thing BUT do not leave on bad terms and do not quit without a job lined up.

Def talk to her and clear the air. There is ALWAYS another side and I am sure she has her reasons in her mind. Dont give up, be strong and this will make you the better person in the end. Believe me I have worked with MANY jerks. They come and go but what you learn and the skills this will give you are what is valuable here. Try and make light of it in your mind even. It is her problem if she is a miserable person. I try to deal with crazy rude people by laughing at them. (not directly of course) Just do what you are asked, whether you like it or not. It will get better.

H

heff101

Ok as usual I am going to be VERY frank with you.
You seem to be somewhat of a drama queen and I sense perhaps you are being that way at work as well.
As a business owner let me tell you that I can make peoples lives very miserable if I want too if they rub me the wrong way. I take it for some reason this manager simply does not like you. I do not want to get into a reason why with you as it is not important here.

Now I will give you very sound advice on how to handle this situation. You can take it or leave it.

1 - Stop bad mouthing your manager to everyone at work. You may be VERY surprised at what workers will run to their managers with.
2 - Ask for a meeting with this manager. Sit down and lay it out to this person in a very civil way. DO NOT go in sniffling and pointing fingers. Maybe accept some blame.
3 - If you need to go to your regional manager if you feel the situation warrants it. If you do this you best have some sound evidence to present to the regional manager.
4 - If the situation persists find a new job.

Hopefully this will help you.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I really wouldn't call myself dramatic. I haven't done..anything to her. At all. And I certainly haven't bad mouthed her to anyone. I said something here because I can't say anything in person. I tried talking to her, she ignored me.

Guess I'll just deal with it.

H

heff101

I really wouldn't call myself dramatic. I haven't done..anything to her. At all. And I certainly haven't bad mouthed her to anyone. I said something here because I can't say anything in person. I tried talking to her, she ignored me.

Guess I'll just deal with it.

If you have made an attempt to have a talk with her about things and she is ignoring you then try again. If she ignores you again then I would go to the regional manager.
9 times out of 10 it is something very small and trivial that can easily be fixed. Seems to your manager right now you are the weakest link and she is picking on you. Maybe attack what she asks you to do with gusto and enthusiasm and perhaps she will drop picking on you so much. If you make it known you are not pleased wit her then you may simply be feeding her fire.
If you have health issues then you need to deal with those issues 1st and foremost.
Do they provide sick leave etc?

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
It just makes me so mad because I've been nothing but nice to her. I've been fine with her and have always been enthusiastic. The only day I've done anything remotely bad is when my kidneys were killing me and she just..wasn't being understanding at all.

I went in to the store yesterday to buy dog food and she was at least nice to me then.

I went to the doctor yesterday..probably going back Monday. I don't work those days so it should be okay. As far as sick leave, I'm really not sure?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Have a sit down Lauren. Take proof that you went to the doctor. Be honest...respectful and ask what YOU can do to improve the situation. And DO NOT talk to other employees about any of this stuff.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.