Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I agree. DO NOT talk crap at work to ANYONE. People talk and gossip. Someone may lend you an ear..so you can rant, only to tell the next person. You are an employee of PETCO. That means..you need to do whatever PETCO wants. Is it written in the handbook that you don't have to leave the salon to ask customers what they need or offer help???? I bet it does not. Do not assume that you only get to do salon things. Working at PETCO outside the salon can teach you also. Public interaction will be needed in the future. If you want more hours...work out front. It's the holiday season. Don't go labeling yourself as just a salon person. You might come off as you are too good to do the dirty work. I bet you get better training out front on the phones also. Talk to your manager. Sit down in the office with her. She is doing her job. Try to take a step back and think about it from her perspective. Try being her for a day. I mean...if I needed someone to work the floor and that person keeps wandering off, I'd be pissed. You work for her. Do as she says. Don't complain. If your kidney hurts...stay home.

Don't quit either. Looks bad on the resume. Stick it out. Hold your chin up and smile. Ever notice when you smile..people can't help but smile back? It's natural. Say hi. How can I help you? Your store probably has a 90 day clause. Ours does. They can fire anyone within 90 days if they aren't working out. Don't rely on the salon girls to get you thru this. Be strong. Don't complain. Smile. Offer help. Be proactive. Offer help in other areas of the store. Don't appear to only be available for the work you want to do. Do it all. Kiss a$$. Follow her around asking what else you can do. Get her coffee......Okay. I'm just kidding about the last few.

It seems as if you already have a bad attitude towards work...for several GOOD reasons. Now, you just have to figure out how to turn it around and make it positive. Remember, one day you will have employee's of your own. You will have to manage them. It's not a walk in the park. Make yourself a good employee and go above and beyond your call of duty. Don't let yourself think you are only 'supposed' to do certain things.

Take care.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] the thing is, I actually ASKED them to train me out in the store. They said no and hired a bunch of other people to work out there. So I'm pretty much stuck in the salon and they send me home early all the damn time. =/

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..you DID want to be a groomer! Lauren.. This is what you wanted. You have to start at the bottom and learn..learn...learn. Part of the learning is taking orders and dealing with managers and coworkers. I specifically remember you saying you wouldn't get many hours. I'm pretty sure they operate the grooming section and the general store section as two separate entities. I'm a supporter of yours Lauren,but honestly your negativity is affecting you being able to realize this is YOUR problem. NOT the managers and certainly NOT Petsmarts'. If you are listening to us..you would've ALREADY asked to sit down and clear the air with your mangager. Have you done this? no more feeling sorry for yourself. You've got an opportunity here that you wanted and now it's up to you to make it work. Good Luck!

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
But they also told me 20 hours a week, not 10. They lied to me.

I'm trying to not be negative. But they really kind of have been shafting me lately. I have talked to them about it. They won't fix anything.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Talk to your manager..not about hours and all you don't like..talk about what SHE perceives as problems. Be positive..take the 10 hours and try and build on it. Maybe you can get another part time job somewhere else during the holidays. Maybe they just don't have the grooming work to give you extra time. A lot of people might skip that this time of year.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I'm livid.

I told the managers I wanted to have a talk with them and hash some things out. So they called me into the office at the very beginning of my shift today.

They didn't tell me one single thing I did good even though I work my BUTT off. But I was trying to take the criticism. I apologized to the one manager t hat has been causing the problems for how I acted the day I had the kidney stone. She said it was fine and she understood. We talked about my other "issues".

Mindy told me she didn't know if she was going to be teaching me to groom now because they don't need a groomer. She flat out PROMISED me when I got hired that I would be learning in january, guaranteed. Now she's probably not training me. Oh, and they promised more hours. What'd they do? ..she told me when I left that I'm cut down to one day a week. 7 hours a week. Yes, I can make payments with that salary.

..I applied at Petsmart when I got off. This is just ridiculous.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
....why would they have?
Sorry, but I deserve better than them throwing me for a loop like this. They lied.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] I'm still working there. But they decided to cut me down to working just Sundays..7 hours a week..when I was promised 15 hours minimum when I started..they said most likely 20. I can't afford my car or anything on this salary. I have bills. Credit card payments, my car, car insurance, Delilah... =/

They've been making me do bogus stuff that they don't have anyone else do. They make me fill out worksheets about what people I talk to everyday. Whatever, I'll do it. It's just..no one else does it. I'm a good worker. I work my BUTT off. I do their dogs FOR them and they get the commission. Yet I'm getting in trouble because someone, for whatever reason, has something against me.

Mindy also informed me that she most likely won't be teaching me how to groom which is why I came here in the first place. So I'm seeking employment elsewhere. Once I get a different job I will put in my two weeks notice.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well it seems you have done all you can do there and honestly i think they want you to quit. ive seen managers do that who have no reason to fire someone they just cut back their hours and make life difficult till they quit. i hope you get the petsmart job and hope its a positive experience for you. you have learned a lesson here and hope that you will keep it with you. jobs are not always what we want them to be but we have to be there anyway. life is full of lessons, even the bad experiences, if we just look for them. good luck

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] thanks, I'm trying to take this all as a learning experience. I'm just so dang frustrated.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.