Help needed from the mommy's out there...

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Soooo I'm now in my 29th week of my pregnancy (it actually feels like its flying!) and I've got a wicked cold. Which really isn't that bad during the day but killing me at night because I'm so full of mucous that I can't breathe when I sleep. So my question is - do any of you have any home remedies to help me sleep??? My OB said I can take robitussin, which really only helps a little been propping myself up a little when I sleep, drinking hot tea with honey and lemon, drinking lots of orange juice ... And now planning to spend my weekend resting. It's so frustrating!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] Try Ocean nasal spray. It's just salt water , but it works wonders to clear up congestion, I used it for 3 weeks before bed when I was sick. Spicy foods will also help ,but if you have heartburn be careful. A hot steamy shower will help loosen things up. Also tylenol cold works great for congestion and is safe during pregnancy according to my ob , and google. I hope you feel better soon.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
It has been way to long for me to recommend anything, I don't know what is safe today (my youngest is 24) but I would think a hot steamy shower taking deep breaths would help to break some of it up the nasal spray sounds safe too. I feel so bad for you, that has to be miserable!! :hug:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I wish I had some great answer but I never took anything if I was sick, never caught a cold bad enough I guess. :( I would call yor dr and ask if you can use vicks rub maybe?

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Adding a humidifier may help but you will probably sweat buckets so that may make you more uncomfortable! I would try the nasal spray suggested by dozersmama.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow..waaaay back in the olden days..when I was pregnant...we could use sudafed..and my daughter used it also..MUCH..more recently! Ask your OB..it does help!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Get a Netti Pot (not sure if it is 1 or 2 ts) and use it along with the Ocean nasal spray. You will be amazed at how much congestion is loosened up by the Netti Pot!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Make sure u drink at least 8 glasses water/day bc water's a natural expectorant. Avoid dairy and soy prods bc these are mucus producing. Honey is also a good idea, as is the humidifier or vaporizer. Actifed or pseudophed not recommended in pregnancy. Prop your head up when sleeping too. Hope u feel better soon!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Not a mom but a Neti pot is a lifesaver for clearing out nasal and sinus congestion without medication. Also, my sister suffered from a terrible cold during her recent pregnancy and took Benadryl on the advice of her OB.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Make sure u drink at least 8 glasses water/day bc water's a natural expectorant. Avoid dairy and soy prods bc these are mucus producing. Honey is also a good idea, as is the humidifier or vaporizer. Actifed or pseudophed not recommended in pregnancy. Prop your head up when sleeping too. Hope u feel better soon!

See that!! Things change constantly! Thanks Henny!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Just fyi if you have had a broken nose DO NOT use a netti pot, the solution can end up trapped places it shouldn't be..ouch Otherwise go for it I know lot of people swear by it.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
When I was pregnant with Ian, I read up and took a lot of herbal supps. Echinacea is fine to take and it will boost your immunity. I took it along with extra Vit C and it worked great.
I personally dont use a Netti Pot, but I will make up some warm salt water and place it in a spoon. If you can get your nose up very close to it you can snort in the saline (a little at a time) and it will break up the congestion well.

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Thanks everyone! The Netti Pot idea freaks me out a little but I may try it. I forgot about my humidifier!!! Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I'm not a mama and don't have suggestions..just wanted to say feel better!

Is the netti pot the thing where you pour water in your nose? Not sure if I'd be able to do that!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online