Help?

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
I got back from running errands and there was a taped up box with holes poked in it on my back porch. Inside was a baby kitten.

What should I do? My landlord will charge another 500 dollars if he finds him here and I really can't pay that. Plus Roscoe isn't exactly thrilled about it being in the house. I'm afraid he'll hurt it.
I don't wanna take it to the pound, I'm afraid they'll put it down. Argh! Who does something like this?!:cursing:

IMG_0026.jpg

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
can you keep him for a few days until you can get a hold of a rescue? If your landlord does find him could you jsut explain the situation? Or maybe he won't be over for a while?Is there a no kill shelter? Can you figure out which neighbor did it and punch them in the face? Or even maybe try placing an ad on craigslist "cringe" i know but there maybe a nice family in your area who would take good care of it.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
keeping the little guy even for a few days will require litter, food, and Roscoe-watching. If you go that route, I would try calling your landlord and explaining the situation and lay out your plans for re-homing him, finding a rescue or another family. Then, once the kittie has a safe place to be, you can just take the litter box and dump it on the porch of whatever idiot did this.

That said, I imagine it's someone who has seen you be a good dog Mom and figured you could help...but still, what a loser.:nope:

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
I knocked on a few neighbors doors and asked if they were expecting a kitten as a gift but they all said no. And of course no one wants to own up to dumping her. I've left messages at a few rescues and I'll see if any call back on Monday. Until then I guess I'm a temporary kitty momma.
She did give Roscoe a good swipe across the nose, so he's not near as interested in her now. :lmao:

I'd love to give whoever dumped her a good knock in the head. We've got lots of really great no-kill shelters around here. There's no reason to just leave it somewhere.

Last edited:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
This makes me SO SO mad. omg. People are such idiots. All three of my cats are from similar situations..all three are shelter babies. My one cat got thrown in a dumpster!!

I'd say hang on to her until you can find her a good home and explain the situation to your landlord. I'd avoid taking her to a shelter if at all possible. A lot of those pets end up at the no-kill shelters for ages. I got my last cat from a no kill cat shelter that had over 90 cats. There's some that have been there for 5+ years without getting adopted. It makes me want to cry.

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
I went and bought some food, litter, litter pan, and a collar for her. I'll hold onto her until I find her a good home. She's quite a sweet snuggle bug.

[MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION] Since you've got some cat experience (and I have zilch) do you know anything about kittens? Her left eye won't open all the way.

Oh dear, I think I may be a tad bit attached this little girl.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=3197]kayrahbear[/MENTION]. Kittens are prone to eye infections. There is an ointment that will clear it right up but at least where i'm at, it is prescription only. It is pretty cheap though like 6 bucks. Wiping it gently with a warm washrag will help open it up.

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
thanks [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION]. I'll make a trip to the vet Monday for some. Prolly try to get her shots done that day too. I'm such a sucker for animals. Now I'm trying to figure out just how long I could get away with hiding her. Forever? :lol:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can you figure out which neighbor did it and punch them in the face?

Excellent idea... this has my vote... heck I offer to do the hitting. well, actually, I offer up my sister, she packs a good right hook.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
If you take her to the vet and explain the situation they might do a low cost or even free spay for you. A lot of vets participate in the TNR programs.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
if you have a facebook account put the word out to your friends to see if anyone is interested in a kitten. i have several friends who have found strays homes this way.

oh and i had a kitten get conjunctivitis once...yup good ole pink eye

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I get the feeling this kitten isn't heading for the pound even tho I'm sure Roscoe thinks it should be.... LOL Pooooor Roscoe!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes after reading all of thsi I am quite sure this kitten will not spend a minute in the shelter, thankfully. I am crazy allergic to cats but would have a hard time turning a baby away. I do love cats like crazy, wish my eyes and nose did tho. Does your landlord come into the apartment? When we were renting our apartment nobody ever came over so we coulda had a zoo in there so long as no neighbors ratted us out we coulda got away with anything really.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online