Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Alright, we close on our new house this Friday and I'm going to have to start painting my room.

My room right now is 14 x 24 (yeah..I know..huge lol it's not meant to be a bedroom) and the walls are bright pink. I love it, haha. I'm going to be downsizing a lot though..my new room is like..11x12. I really feel like this is tiny but I'll have to adjust.

I got a new bed set, and I want to paint the room around the bed set. This is what the bedding looks like, it's pink zebra and the underside is leopard:

pink-zebra-bedroom1.jpg

I was going to just paint all the walls a lighter pink color. If I do it too pink it'll be an eyesore and just way too crazy..because the bedding is pretty bright and wild in itself.

anyone got an ideas? lol. I'll probably end up doing one color because I'm lazy and I don't know if mom will buy me two colors. But if I (or you guys haha!) can think of a really good idea, I might just start feeling ambitious!

oh, the room right now is like a pee yellow color. ick.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Lighter colors will make room seem bigger! And since your new bedding is very colorful..I'd go with lightest shade of pink that you like! Congrats on a new house!

Oh yeah..from past experience..yellow is a hard color to cover up. Use a good primer..and I'd stay with one color.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Like Becky said you want to go lighter to help the room not seem so small, especially with the Zebra print. What about the color shown in the model picture. Very very pale gray. it's neutral, and the bedding pops by comparison.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Like Becky said you want to go lighter to help the room not seem so small, especially with the Zebra print. What about the color shown in the model picture. Very very pale gray. it's neutral, and the bedding pops by comparison.

I really like the pale gray idea. It will look sharp with the zebra print, make the room look bigger, and it will go with anything else you have in the room. Oh, and you won't have to repaint if you switch your bedding later down the road.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Thanks for the ideas. I'm just not sure if I wanna do gray, lol. Seems bland for my personality!

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Alright, sounds good! I've always had interesting color walls, lol. I'm almost afraid to do something neutral! Silly, I know.

L

Lucy-licious

That bedding is gorgeous, and definately a bold statement. f you want pink thenI pesonally would keep it very pale.
Grey looks gorgeous with pale pink accessories and (this is just a guess mind) i would think you have some pink stuff in your room that will go well.

If you prefer/want 2 shades of the same colour but are only getting one pot of paint then pic the palest of the two to buy, and buy a tester pot in a much darker shade of the same colour. paint your walls that you want with the pale shade then slowly add the tester pot to the remaining paint mixing very thoroughly as you do so, until you get a darker shade you like....hey presto two paints for the price of one + a few dollars for the tester :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
The walls are the backdrop. The bedding and your other accessories are the statement of your personality. You don't want the backdrop to outshine the statement, so if you keep it neutral you get a lot more effect from the personality pieces.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Here are the pics of my boys gray rooms. I tried to get some if the desk to show how I painted it to accent the walls.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320339326.856123.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320339381.955440.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320339381.955440.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 113
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320339422.643124.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320339422.643124.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 106
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320339466.904754.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320339466.904754.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 110

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Oooh... BOLD! Love that pink!

But, trust @LariP ... bright, busy walls will drown out that Zebra bedding and compete with it for attention. It's exactly like the blue sky acting as the backdrop for the bright sun and clouds or the black sky acting as the backdrop for the moon and the stars.

That's what the wall is all about. The wall is just the backrop - the base for all the other colors. So, with pink, pale gray or light silver is a great color that would make the pink POP! So you paint the entire wall that color. It's a good base for an 11x12 room. It's airy and visually vacant (it doesn't stop your eyes on the wall so it makes it look bigger). Or, if you just think a plain gray wall is just too blah, then you can do the stripes like the pictures Lari and I showed of our room but stick with the gray color - you can alternate a super pale gray/white with a darker shade of still pale gray, or you can just pick a pale gray and alternate it using flat and gloss paint.

Then you add personality to the room by layering stuff on that base wall. You pick a pallette of colors you want to stick with - like, you already got light pink and black, on a base of gray/silver going on, then you can add bolder shades like purple and magenta for accent to your pallette. I like metallics with pink but it doesn't go well with the organic zebra look.

Depending on the amount of work you want to put into it, a fast/easy thing to do is to shop for framed pictures that are closest to your color pallete and hang it on the walls. Or, if you're the artistic type, you can just get a blank canvas and just splash an abstract mix of the pallette colors with a broad brush and hang it on the wall.

Are you also getting those curtains? That would be cool if you got it too.

Last edited:
OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Thank you for sharing the pictures [MENTION=1169]Piamitch[/MENTION]!

[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] thank you for all of those ideas!!! I'll probably get lazy and just do one color. The idea of a silver is starting to grow on me. Hmm...we'll see what my mom says. She seems to think I should do light pink. But I'm liking the idea of silver walls now making the bedding pop. Also, my furniture is white.

also, I don't have the curtains. Not sure if I'm getting those or not, lol.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I like silver. I am not one for boring walls either and I do not think silver would be boring in any way! Plus you already have pink and want to feel like you have a "new" room so I say change it up a bit. I too :heart: the bedding!!!! Very fun! :) Whatever you do we will need to see the pics posted in our decor thread, before and after please. :p

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] I'm leaning towards silver now, lol. Mom liked the idea. Going to look at paint once she's off work today.

and I'll take pictures :) where's the decor thread at?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
somewhere buried in the non bully talk, let me find it and bump it. ;)Oh also you can buy the paint with primer already in it, so much easier! More expensive but if you have to buy primer anyhow not so much.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online