wallpaper in a dining room??

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I'm lucky! Bruce has pretty good taste when it comes to decorating ideas. He has helped decide what to do with the rooms we have decorated here quite a bit.

I think it is more of a mutual taste in style that helps us agree on what to do. All I know is when she gets one of her crazy ideas it means work for me.. :p

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I think it is more of a mutual taste in style that helps us agree on what to do. All I know is when she gets one of her crazy ideas it means work for me.. :p
And that's a bad thing? :confused:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I like [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]'s suggestion as one wall as a focal point.

Me, personally..I'm not a fan of wallpaper. That paper is pretty and I do think it could look nice on one wall. But I've just never been a fan of wallpaper. Probably because in every house I've moved to my mom has made me strip tons of it off the walls because she hates it, lol.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My opinion only, of course:

1.) Wallpaper is cool. I personally prefer paint but it all depends on the pattern. I saw a house that used some fancy rag painting technique that just looked like a dog got mud on himself and rubbed against the wall. And then I have a friend who put textured wallpaper on the wall and painted over it which made the wall paint look 3D. Really cool stuff but then I'm thinking... that would be a beast to take off!

2.) The pattern you chose is super pretty but it could overpower a 13x13 room - which is sweet if you're going for the Victorian look. But, if it's for a modern look you might have to tone down the pattern by using plain un-patterned furnishings to keep it from looking too busy. Or, like others suggested - use only on the focal wall. Another suggestion is to use it like a picture frame - that is, paper a big rectangle or multiple squares on the wall then outline it with white moulding.

3.) I have a 12x16, 11-foot height dining room. We "dropped" the ceiling by putting white crown moulding around the ceiling, then painted the wall white 1-foot from the ceiling, then put another strip of moulding on the bottom of the white strip. Then we painted 3-feet from the bottom of the wall white as well, topped it with moulding, then added more moulding to make "frames" like some mentioned above. I then painted the rest of the wall heirloom red. The all white lower section, and the dropped ceiling makes the red less overpowering. I have the red on all the walls but one wall is a giant picture window, the other 2 walls are mostly a giant entryway, so visually, that one wall is where most of the red is. So, if I were to do this room in your colors, then I can use the wallpaper instead of the red, then color the bottom wall white with the white chair rail. Then I'll add the white moulding to form "picture frames" and color the inside of the frames the charcoal color. Did that make sense?

Here's some pictures of my dining room to show what I'm talking about:
The wall:
1320085531.jpg

The "dropped" ceiling:
1320085558.jpg

The room:
Photo_Video_ae8b1407-47c0-4a32-811e-58bf966e306d_medium.JPG

Okay, there are 2 things not good about this dining room: The rug is too small. The table runner is too casual for the room's theme. My husband bought the rug and runner for me. Yes, my husband is very good with clothes but not very good with house decor. I'm good with house decor but suck on clothes. But, I don't really like just shutting out my husband's tastes, so I try to work it into the room. A room doesn't have to be perfect. It has to also reflect the special qualities of my husband. :D

Hope this gives you more ideas.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.