wallpaper in a dining room??

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I have a completely blank canvas for a dining room. I would take pics but it's currently drywall and plywood sub floor. I'ts a 13ft by 13 ft room with 10 ft ceilings. They were taller but we dropped them. I am putting in oak hardwoods and i'm thinking about painting the bottom half of the room a dark charcoal grey with a white chair rail around the middle all the molding and trim will be white. on the top half I think I may use this wallpaper
nextwallnow.com/patterns/show_pattern/4250]NextWall - Wallcovering Reinvented
or one similar . I plan on putting 1 hanging light fixture in the center over my table . Am I making a huge mistake with the wallpaper and paint ?

Last edited by a moderator:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I've had lots of wallpaper over the years..and paint and chair railing too it's a personal taste issue..but I love wainscoting below..chair rail and paint on top! Just remember..it's not that hard to redo if you put up a couple walls and decide you want something different! It's our prerogative to change our minds anyway! :laugh:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I like and can picture it being very pretty! Could use any color to accent and change as you want which is nice. If you wanna do the work then there is nothing wrong with your idea. I personally do the painting etc around the house and although I havent ever tried, the thought of wallpapering scares me.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You may just want to paper just one wall as a focal point, with the chair rail and paint on bottom. Just throwing it out there.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
You may just want to paper just one wall as a focal point, with the chair rail and paint on bottom. Just throwing it out there.
yep good idea. Then see how you like it and if you want to later you can always add more. Better than having to take it all down anyhow. ;)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I like it.

But as you can see by [MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION]'s reaction it's a personal taste when it comes to wallpaper.

I also think it would be pretty to put white picture molding insets on the gray at the bottom. I saw them do something similar on hgtv a couple years ago.

There's a DIY video at this addy to show what I mean.

://www.diynetwork.com/videos/picture-frame-molding/15381.html

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think it will look great.... I am not a fan of wallpaper, but that is very nice

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Crown molding would take some of the height look out of the ceiling height ..

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I like the idea of crown molding and the white picture insets. Normally I detest wallpaper but i saw this print and fell in love for some reason.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Also. if you feel the pattern may be too much when used for the whole wall a picture frame moulding above the chair rail may work with th wallpaper within the frame.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I am not a fan of wallpaper, in fact I have a lot to strip off in our new house's kitchen. It is all personal taste. I am addicted to HGTV and DIY shows and what I have noticed lately is that the textured wallpaper is making a come back. Like what your thinking, I have seen them do a wall as a focal point or a chair rail with paint on the bottom and textured paper on top.

I have LOTS of rooms that I need to personalize (the master bedroom is painted the darkest green you ever seen, it looks live a cave) and I am nervous about picking colors, Joe is color blind of all things, so his opinion DOES NOT MATTER! Yet he wants to put his two cents in. For instance when we viewed the house with the dark green master bedroom he said "why would someone paint there bedroom dark brown"???

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I am not a fan of wallpaper, in fact I have a lot to strip off in our new house's kitchen. It is all personal taste. I am addicted to HGTV and DIY shows and what I have noticed lately is that the textured wallpaper is making a come back. Like what your thinking, I have seen them do a wall as a focal point or a chair rail with paint on the bottom and textured paper on top.

I have LOTS of rooms that I need to personalize (the master bedroom is painted the darkest green you ever seen, it looks live a cave) and I am nervous about picking colors, Joe is color blind of all things, so his opinion DOES NOT MATTER! Yet he wants to put his two cents in. For instance when we viewed the house with the dark green master bedroom he said "why would someone paint there bedroom dark brown"???

Oh Kelly I know the feeling, my husband too is color blind and HAS to have an opinion. Ummm hello?!?!?!?!!? Your opinion does NOT reflect what the rest ofr the world sees. Thankfully as far as paint, I do and pick what I want and he hasnt complained yet. I say you pick the paint and get the tiny size and throw some up on the wall so you can see it then if you like it invite Joe to see it. Not for opinion of course just to show him. ;) If I liked girly colors then we would have a problem but I dont so I can do what I want as far as paint. Everything I have painted Copnway has said, looks fine to me as is. (before I paint) He has no vision at all. BUT after I paint he is always happy.

I LOVE the idea of using the wallpaper inside the framed moldings. That would be pretty and much easier to get up and down.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I am not a fan of wallpaper, in fact I have a lot to strip off in our new house's kitchen. It is all personal taste. I am addicted to HGTV and DIY shows and what I have noticed lately is that the textured wallpaper is making a come back. Like what your thinking, I have seen them do a wall as a focal point or a chair rail with paint on the bottom and textured paper on top. I have LOTS of rooms that I need to personalize (the master bedroom is painted the darkest green you ever seen, it looks live a cave) and I am nervous about picking colors, Joe is color blind of all things, so his opinion DOES NOT MATTER! Yet he wants to put his two cents in. For instance when we viewed the house with the dark green master bedroom he said "why would someone paint there bedroom dark brown"???
I'm lucky! Bruce has pretty good taste when it comes to decorating ideas. He has helped decide what to do with the rooms we have decorated here quite a bit.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online