JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Does anyone have a yummy stuffing recipe? I've had a couple good ones over the years but have lost them. The last several years we've just stove top stuffing, I KNOW I KNOW! My Mom is coming this year and I'd like to actually make a good stuffing - her's is yucky. :lol:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I don't exactly follow a recipe but I'll tell you how I make it. I use good already seasoned stuffing mix like Pepridge(sp?) Farms. I cook the neck, heart and gizzard on top of the stove and save the liquid. I take the meat off the neck bone, finely chop it and the heart & gizzard and add some lean hamburger or lean sausage to it. I chop 2 stocks of celery, 1 onion, and a bunch of spinach. I press 2 cloves of garlic. I melt a cube of butter in the saved turkey broth and add water as needed to get the right amount of liquid. I bake dressing in the oven now instead of stuffing the turkey because we don't mind it that way. I cover it with foil, bake it for 1 hour, take the cover off for the final 30 minutes.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
No help here but I love Stove Top stuffing. It's always the first one to finish in my family. :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I have this one posted on Taste tested recipes.
Holiday Dressing/Stuffing Holiday Dressing/Stuffing

1 loaf bread
My mom and grandma used to save up the heels of bread for about a week or so before family dinners and used those instead of a loaf of “good” bread.
We had a lot more people eating bread back in those days so it didn’t take long.
Now it would take us a couple months to save up that many heels.
1 cup butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
S&P TT
1 ½ cups boiling chicken or turkey broth.Turkey giblets, or cut up cooked chicken or turkey cooked and chopped (optional I don’t like hearts and lungs so I just use a little chopped meat.)
At least 6 hours before you are ready to bake, toast the bread then tear each slice
into bite-size pieces and let stand on an open table or countertop. You can speed up this part if you spread the bread out on cookie sheets and bake in a 200 degree oven for a while. Once the bread has dried out, mix it in a large baking dish with the boiling broth, butter, onion, salt and sage. For added flavor, cook and chop up the turkey giblets and add to the stuffing.
Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes in a covered dish. Uncover
for final 10 minutes of bake time.

We always had to make oyster dressing for dad. It was pretty much the same recipe, just added chopped oysters.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am so not a stuffing person but I know my parents start with their fav box and add in like what Larip said or similar. One thing they started doing some years back was adding apples (not sure what else) in and it seems to be a hit with everyone who likes dishes that taste like soggy bread. :lol:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I love to add dried cranberries to my stuffing..anyone you decide on..they are delicious..and everyone loves it!

Last edited by a moderator:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am so not a stuffing person but I know my parents start with their fav box and add in like what Larip said or similar. One thing they started doing some years back was adding apples (not sure what else) in and it seems to be a hit with everyone who likes dishes that taste like soggy bread. :lol:
:lol: yep soggy bread! Just flavored. But it was always my favorite part of the holiday meal growing up. One year when i was a young adult, my mom decided to scale back on all the trimmings and was going to make ham at Christmas instead of the usual Turkey and ham and dressing wasn't in her plan. I requested dressing. That's when she handed me the recipe and said it could be my contribution. I ended up taking the dressing to family gatherings for years afterwards.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I love to add dried cranberries to my stuffing..anyone you decide on..they are delicious..and everyone loves it!
I have had this, as well as sausage and apples in dressing too. I love it all! Although these days with it mostly being just the two of us for holiday meals we have revised the traditional feast tone a prime rib dinner. So I haven't made dressing in a few years. It's too much for just us, I get tired of leftovers too often.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] I am all for a good prime rib! I posted the yummiest prime rib recipe over in Taste Tested Recipes ~Forums~ - Taste Tested Recipes- Home Page if you wanna try it. The cranberries in there sound good too. I have no idea what all my dad puts in his but I know there is a LOT of random stuff. lol. I :heart: that your mom gave you that to cook, I think more kids need to get in the kitchen when young and learn like that.

Last edited:
OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks for the yummy looking recipes. I'll have to check out the taste tested section more thoroughly. Last year we went ou to eat, something I've always wanted to do and it was nice. Not quite like being at home but nice.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Can't believe everyone's talking 'bout Thanksgiving dinner already but i just looked at the calendar, and GULP!, it's exactly 1 month away! Better start thinking about what I'll be doing and making too...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have had this, as well as sausage and apples in dressing too. I love it all! Although these days with it mostly being just the two of us for holiday meals we have revised the traditional feast tone a prime rib dinner. So I haven't made dressing in a few years. It's too much for just us, I get tired of leftovers too often.
Lari..something that smells and tastes like the "big bird".. Lol..NOT the yellow one..is a turkey breast! Costco has them and we've made them a few times..when we had 30 people and also camping! They are delicious and you even have leftovers for sandwiches..which is MY favorite part!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lari..something that smells and tastes like the "big bird".. Lol..NOT the yellow one..is a turkey breast! Costco has them and we've made them a few times..when we had 30 people and also camping! They are delicious and you even have leftovers for sandwiches..which is MY favorite part!
I prefer dark meat on chicken and turkey white is generally too dry for me. I used to like the leftover turkey cold in sandwiches with mustard, but I've actually gotten to the point that I've decided I really just don't care for turkey at all.I think I OD'd on leftovers one too many times.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Or even what we did last year for camping was buy the precooked turkey breast and reheated with gravy and mashed potatoes. (those are the only important things for me) Was actually very yummy and when I reheated the breast I put it in a pan with wine and chicken broth to keep it moist. YUM! Perfect for camping and good enough for home.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.