Pictures of Our New House

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Wow how long did that take your friend to do?!?!?!?! Turned out nice but dang I like nice and easy, dont think I could ever do something like that. When I start painting I like to finish that same day, doesnt happen in reality with 2 little ones but this is always my goal. haha

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
WOW! @anatess ! She painted that?

Yes! She's quite talented. She painted the entire wall red, then she free-hand brushed the black rectangles to look like brick. Another friend of mine copied the technique but made stone slabs instead of brick using cream-color base then free-hand brushed thin-edged craggy rectangles with light brown. I don't have a picture of it though.

She moved out of that apartment long time ago and moved to a house. She's the one I told you about that put patterned wallpaper on the wall and painted over it. I found a picture of it:
ruchi.jpg

The area rug is the basis of the room design. If you look closely at the red rectangles on the wall, you see a swirl pattern that match the design of the rug. That's the embossing of the wallpaper that shows up. Very subtle but it pops out when viewed with the area rug. When she bought the wallpaper, I was like, "uhm, that will NOT look good - it doesn't match!" because the colors of the paper was completely psychedelic... like puked out lava lamps. I didn't know she was going to paint over it. By the way, she did this wall by first painting the entire wall white. Then we taped up the wall to form the rectangles (have to use the green painters tape also called "frog tape", not the blue painters tape), then we wallpapered some of the rectangles, then we painted over each rectangle one by one. When we pulled out the tape, this is the result! It looked really cool.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
And since I'm on a roll with these painting stuff and hey, it might give @KMARINO some decorating ideas... here's my room with a super simple but different technique:
1320157299.jpg

Notice the striped wall. It's actually just one color! First, I painted the whole wall with 2 coats of flat paint. Then I taped up 1-foot sections and painted it with one coat of the same color paint but in gloss. And that's the result! Super simple. Oh, pardon the mess - we were in the middle of decorating this room when the picture was taken.

L

Lucy-licious

that really is quite something and something I would never think of. Your friend is very talented [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
And since I'm on a roll with these painting stuff and hey, it might give @KMARINO some decorating ideas... here's my room with a super simple but different technique:
1320157299.jpg

Notice the striped wall. It's actually just one color! First, I painted the whole wall with 2 coats of flat paint. Then I taped up 1-foot sections and painted it with one coat of the same color paint but in gloss. And that's the result! Super simple. Oh, pardon the mess - we were in the middle of decorating this room when the picture was taken.

We did our bedroom in a stripe like this only we used very similar shades of green and then a lighter (almost white) shade of green for the trim and crown moulding that we put up at the same time.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow how long did that take your friend to do?!?!?!?! Turned out nice but dang I like nice and easy, dont think I could ever do something like that. When I start painting I like to finish that same day, doesnt happen in reality with 2 little ones but this is always my goal. haha

That actually didn't take too long to do. That wall is only 12 feet wide and 8 feet tall. And there's another wall connected to it that she also painted but it's the "bar-height counter" that opens up to the kitchen so she only had to do the bottom part of the counter. She was done in half a day. She free-handed the rectangles - if you notice it's not quite straight so it looks like the wall is curving. My other friend used a string to keep the rectangles straight, but even that one didn't take too long, she just put push pins on each end of the wall to hold the string and moved it down one section at a time.

Okay, if it was me, it would take me a longer time because I have to tape up everything. I can't free-hand the edges of the wall without smearing the ceiling or around windows and baseboards. My friend can do it without taping up edges! That's really what takes up the longest time - the prep work. Having to cover up holes, sand pock marks, tape-up edges... that takes a long time. And yeah, when I did my house, the 2 kids were still toddlers and got paint all over themselves! I gave them each a brush and a wall just to keep them out of my way and they got the paint all over their hair!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
We did our bedroom in a stripe like this only we used very similar shades of green and then a lighter (almost white) shade of green for the trim and crown moulding that we put up at the same time.

Bruce, show us pictures! I'm a sucker for decorating ideas...

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lari may have some pix... I'll ask her

One thing I am super envious about is your yard! I desperately want your awesomely manicured gardens and lawn!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes! She's quite talented. She painted the entire wall red, then she free-hand brushed the black rectangles to look like brick. Another friend of mine copied the technique but made stone slabs instead of brick using cream-color base then free-hand brushed thin-edged craggy rectangles with light brown. I don't have a picture of it though.

She moved out of that apartment long time ago and moved to a house. She's the one I told you about that put patterned wallpaper on the wall and painted over it. I found a picture of it:
ruchi.jpg

The area rug is the basis of the room design. If you look closely at the red rectangles on the wall, you see a swirl pattern that match the design of the rug. That's the embossing of the wallpaper that shows up. Very subtle but it pops out when viewed with the area rug. When she bought the wallpaper, I was like, "uhm, that will NOT look good - it doesn't match!" because the colors of the paper was completely psychedelic... like puked out lava lamps. I didn't know she was going to paint over it. By the way, she did this wall by first painting the entire wall white. Then we taped up the wall to form the rectangles (have to use the green painters tape also called "frog tape", not the blue painters tape), then we wallpapered some of the rectangles, then we painted over each rectangle one by one. When we pulled out the tape, this is the result! It looked really cool.

I had seen the stripe idea on tv but this is something new and I :heart: it! Still wouldnt do it myself cuz well the thought of having to be perfect scares me and havent ever done the taping off like this but I LOVE it! Also you are very nice to let your kids paint with you, I am not that kind of mama. lmao. I paint while they sleep either late at night or at 3 in the morning. The only guaranteed time I have to myself. :lol:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Wow, I'm loving all these painting ideas! So cool! I don't know if I would have patience like that.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Not to sabatoge Kelly's thread...but for [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION].

Notice that the ceiling is a couple shades darker than the darker wall color. I like the look of darker ceilings. most of our rooms have darker ceilings than walls and it 'works'. Believe it or not it actually helps the rooms seem larger.

BedroomWalls004.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
WOW.... what a great place. Best of luck with it.

So, when is the EBN house-warming party?

L

Lucy-licious

Not to sabatoge Kelly's thread...but for @anatess .

Notice that the ceiling is a couple shades darker than the darker wall color. I like the look of darker ceilings. most of our rooms have darker ceilings than walls and it 'works'. Believe it or not it actually helps the rooms seem larger.

BedroomWalls004.jpg

I love this :)
never thought about the darker cieling bit it looks great.
just tagging [MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION] here maybe this could be something you could do too :)

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] I do really like that, but with zebra print bedding I think it would seem a bit too busy!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.