Abby's Gluten Free Low Spice Mexican Rice

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
Abby's Gluten Free Mexican Rice

My Daughter requires a gluten free diet, and has not developed a taste for spicy foods just yet. After many tries, I finally developed a recipe she loves and goes back for more. Obviously, you can add as many other seasonings you like to spice it up, but if your little ones don't like Mexican or Spanish rice because they have to pick all the "stuff" out of it - they may just like this virtually plain version.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup Long Grain White Rice
8oz can Hunt's Tomato Sauce
2 Cups Filtered Drinking Water
Minced Garlic
Garlic Salt
Mrs Dash Table Blend (or your favorite blend)
Sea Salt

Directions:

1. Rinse Rice in water. Continue until water is 90%+ clear. (This removes the starch, and produces a drier/fluffier end product that won't stick together).
  2. Light coating of Canola Oil in pan. Heat to Medium High. (On stove with Low-10 heat, I used an 8).
  3. Carefully add moist rice to pan and begin to brown the rice.
  4. Half way through the browning process, add Salt to taste.

• Light coating of Garlic Salt
  • Couple dashes of Sea Salt

1. Brown to desired color.
  2. Add 8oz Tomato Sauce.
  3. Followed immediately by 2 Cups Filtered Drinking Water.
  4. Now add seasonings (This cuts down on the “burnt seasoning” taste)

• Small amount of Minced Garlic
  • Second Light coating of Garlic Salt
  • VERY Light coating of Mrs Dash table blend

1. Slowly stir to mix Rice, Sauce and Water.
  2. Set stove to Medium Low heat (On stove with Low-10 heat, I used a 4).
  3. Simmer covered for 5 minutes
  4. Stir rice to even out the sauce and level the rice.
  5. Set stove to Low heat (On stove with Low-10 heat, I used Low and a ½ - between the Low setting and the 1 setting).
  6. Simmer covered for approximately 10-15min (depending on stove and desired dryness).
  7. Remove from heat, let sit covered for 5 min.
  8. Fluff rice with fork and let sit uncovered for 5 min if too moist.
  9. EAT!!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Thanks for sharing! And we would love it if you would join our recipe forum linked above and share all of your favorite recipes there!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My bf's nephew is allergic to gluten as well, and many other things such as eggs, shellfish and peanuts. So his parents always need to come up with new things to try. Does your daughter like indian food? There's this butter chicken mix that's gluten free and the bf's nephew loves it. I'll ask the parents which one they bought and will let you know.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I am not allergic but do eat Gluten-free. Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to make it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
As an added thought! Do you have Whole Foods markets near you? They offer lots and lots of gluten free things. It kills me to go there because I dislike the owners politics..:ROFL:.. but I sometimes sneak in! For your daughter I will lay down my weapons..this once!! :laugh:

OP
VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
Thanks for sharing! And we would love it if you would join our recipe forum linked above and share all of your favorite recipes there!

:detective2:I'll have to look for that forum!

... I'm impressed! I am..sadly..like your daughter and SPICY stuff...I will try this next taco/tostado night!

:cheers: I prefer low spice myself, and my natural diet is almost gluten free, so we like a lot of the same stuff. I hope it works out - if it doesn't work out, then it's not my recipe... never saw it... don't know what you're talkin' about! :lol:

My bf's nephew is allergic to gluten as well, and many other things such as eggs, shellfish and peanuts. So his parents always need to come up with new things to try. Does your daughter like indian food? There's this butter chicken mix that's gluten free and the bf's nephew loves it. I'll ask the parents which one they bought and will let you know.

:idea: Great idea... I'm not sure she has tried Indian food, but she does try new things - that's one thing I love about her taste, she'll at least give it a shot!

I am not allergic but do eat Gluten-free. Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to make it.

:victory: My pleasure!

OP
VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
As an added thought! Do you have Whole Foods markets near you? They offer lots and lots of gluten free things. It kills me to go there because I dislike the owners politics..:ROFL:.. but I sometimes sneak in! For your daughter I will lay down my weapons..this once!! :laugh:

We do have those... but I tend to go to Sprouts for the stuff I can't get at the regular grocery store.

...and NEVER lay down your weapons!!!:guns:
Remember:
When you're mad as heck and can't take it anymore,
grab your gun and head outside...
if you're the only one out there... it's not time yet! :p

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We do have those... but I tend to go to Sprouts for the stuff I can't get at the regular grocery store....and NEVER lay down your weapons!!!:guns:Remember:When you're mad as heck and can't take it anymore,grab your gun and head outside...if you're the only one out there... it's not time yet! :p
:yes:... I am quite the "fighter" in my family..but I AM rubbing off on my daughters! It could be because I told them I will not leave them a cent AND will fix their inheritance so they get NOTHING if they don't vote! :ROFL:.. And they know how I expect them to vote too!! They don't have to know we are spending everything!! :biglaugh: and besides..there's not that much anyway! :ROFL:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - maybe we can add a gluten-free section in the tastetested recipes site. And if you like to go further, a politics-friendly one for [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]. :angel:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online