Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Well today it rained all day so I thought what the heck, lets clean the fish tank!! Oh, wow!! Lemmie tell ya! What a pain in the butt that was!! No wonder it has been over a year since I have done a deep cleaning on it!! :shout:

Here it is in my bath tub.

Finally got it cleaned and lugged it back on its stand.

Here is a not too clear picture of it with the rocks and decorations in it.

Finally got the water and fish back in it.

This tedious task took me over 3 hours to do. I will post a picture of it with the lights on when I get up later. Trying to dodge my shadows (Matilda & A.J.) to get all together wore me out!! :whew: Zzzz

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
My advice to make life MUCH easier is: Get yourself some bristle nosed plecostomas and go bare bottom with no small gravel only some river rock to break up the open spaces and you will never have to scrub out the fish tank again. We raise fancy goldfish....they get quick easy water changes weekly filter clean outs alternating about once a month and we haven't scrubbed a tank yet. Here are a couple pics of our tanks these were taken a few years ago after set up. They haven't been completely torn down ever and the tanks still look as clear as then. We did swap out the acropolis decor for large mopani wood for the bristle noses to munch on.

two55.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
My advice to make life MUCH easier is: Get yourself some bristle nosed plecostomas and go bare bottom with no small gravel only some river rock to break up the open spaces and you will never have to scrub out the fish tank again. We raise fancy goldfish....they get quick easy water changes weekly filter clean outs alternating about once a month and we haven't scrubbed a tank yet. Here are a couple pics of our tanks these were taken a few years ago after set up. They haven't been completely torn down ever and the tanks still look as clear as then. We did swap out the acropolis decor for large mopani wood for the bristle noses to munch on.

two55.jpg

Oh wow!! I :heart: the tanks. I have huge rocks in there. I didn't want to mess with the tiny gravel. That stuff is a pain. I did have an Albino plecostomas but I think he got sick and died. He was pretty big. Those things grow fast. Can I put more than one in my 55 gallon? That is the main reason I cleaned out my tank. Wanted to get rid of the diseased water.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
In a 55 you could have 3 bristle nose pleco's as long as you only have one male they get territorial but if you have 2 females to one male and a good hiding spot you might get hundreds of babies. Bruce also breeds long finned albinos and I think there are about 500 in the basement breeder tank.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Cleaning fish tanks can be a pain!! It takes me awhile to do my ten gallon..

I've noticed that my tank is a lot better ever since I put a chinese algae eater in there. However..ever since putting him in there, my male swordtail platy killed off my three female bettas. Ugh! So I'm down to just the platy and the algae eater. x.x

I want a salt water tank really bad.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=2150]MatildasMommy[/MENTION], just reading your post exhausted me.:lazy2: I hope you treated yourself to a nap after that!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I use to keep aquariums until my second pregnancy. I couldn't handle the smell when I cleaned the filter. But they were so much fun before that. One of the first words my son spoke was "ish" his baby version of "fish." :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.