Contemplating a Major Life Change...help?

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Lauren the rule on insurance is 26 doesn't matter whether you in college married or whatever. As far as a degree, I can tell you my daughter has a teaching degree and can't find a job. Sometimes hands on is better

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Oh and my parents disowned me for a year for no reason. I was a single parent at 22 with two small children. I know you can do it. We will all be here cheering you on.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Everyone already has given you some pretty great advice. I agree that you need to do what makes you happy. Life is most definitely too short. My brother passed away suddenly at 21 and the one thing that I envy of him is that he lived his life to the fullest he could. I try to emulate him, but am not that good at it. I wanted to also add that I just spent 7 years to get my MA/PhD in molecular biology and marine science and I am having a very hard time finding a job and I have a ton of debt. It also made me miserable during the last half because I realized the limitations to my degree and often felt like a failure, but was too far in to quit. Many times an advanced degree leads to much debt and is not worth it if you will be miserable in that field. I dream of opening a small coffee shop/bakery, so I say try to go for it while you are young!

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] so sorry to hear about your brother, hun. that's so sad. :(

That's one of the things I have been worried about. I know SO many people with bachelor's degrees and higher..and where are they working? Retail stores. My boyfriend has a master's in psychology and can't do anything with it!! He works at the Handicap Development Center as a support staff..he helps them with their independence and takes them to do things. You don't need a degree for that. His sister in law has an english degree and works at a Stuff, Etc store which is a consignment store. His father dropped out of college..he's an extremely smart man just didn't finish..he's climbed the ladder at Exlon and now makes a ton of money. The economy today is just so whack and it seems everyone is having such a hard time finding jobs.

I have my heart set on this guys. I'm excited to start. But I'm nervous and feel horrible because of my mom and don't want to upset her.

My dad and step mom said do what makes me happy. I told them my plans and they said it sounded like I had thought it out.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
They said I need to stop living by what my mom wants and do what Lauren wants. My step mom said, "I want to see you be able to grow up and not be constantly doing what your mother says in order to make her happy."

L

Lucy-licious

OK well its time to hold onto Tims hand and tell your Mum, sounds like your Dad and Step Mom are happy so lean on them a little thats what they are there for. xx

H

heff101

You know I went back and re read your 1st post.

What I am about to say is merely my observation and I do not wish to disrespect your mother in anyway.

Your mother looks to me like she is a very un happy person. I can bet that growing up you did what your mother told you to do and you never argued with her. And what you did was never to her liking 100%

Your mother is a person who needs to be in control. I see her as a type A personality ( I know because I am a type A myself) who needs to control everything and everyone around her. And you are the weakest link near her.

I can guarantee you even if you became the worlds best surgeon it would still not be good enough for your mother. She would find the negatives in it rather then all the positives.

My best advice for you is you need to distance yourself from your mother and have a heart to heart with her and just make it very clear to her that you are in control of your own life and would love to have her be a part of your life but if she continues to keep pulling you down and degrading you ( I assume that is a big part of why you suffer from depression) then you will have no other choice but to distance yourself from her physically and emotionally.

Given your disease (depression) you need to surround yourself with people, animals etc who love you and believe in you rather then people who do the opposite. If you do this you will find a whole different outlook on life. I know it sounds hard to do but I know you can do it.

You sound like a very loving and caring person and I think you would be wonderful and successful at whatever career choice you pick.

If grooming is what you want to do then get up go out and just do it! Maybe approach a local vet or other groomer near you and make them the offer that you will work for them for a few weeks for free and if after that time they like your work then perhaps they can offer you a paid position.

As a business owner if someone came to me with that offer I would take them up on it because to me it shows they really want to do it have a passion for it and are willing to prove to me that I need them.

Also when you do apply for a job etc please dress nicely. If people come to me applying for a job the 1st thing I do is look them over head to toe. If you are wearing sweatpants etc I will not even accept your resume and will quickly end the meeting. Also smile allot and be very happy and positive. We business owners and others who hire people can pick up negative energy right away and will instantly distance ourselves from it. Walk in like you already have the job if you know what I mean.

Maybe you could even start by volunteering to do some grooming at your local animal shelter or for neighbors and friends out of your home? I look at you and girl I see nothing but possibilities.

So girl get up get dressed up grab your resume and start knocking on doors. If you do I guarantee you one day you will find the right door and you will enter into a whole new life a life that truly makes you happy and I bet you will no longer need your anti depression meds soon after.

You can do it I know it and I am sure everyone here agrees with me.

If you open your own shop do we all get a discount??? hahaha

If you have any questions about applying for jobs and tips etc feel free to PM me. I would be more then happy to help you and give you advice.

Last edited:
OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION] I hate to admit that you are right about my mom..but I know that you are. I appreciate that. You gave me some great advice and I really appreciate it.

I applied for a job at Petco last night. I HATE that they have all online applications now. I've applied at both Petco and Petsmart probably a combined total of 10 times..all online because that's all they do. They usually never see the application and when I go in to ask or call they haven't seen it and I have to resend. Blah. I'm thinking I'll stop in tomorrow and ask to see the manager in charge of hiring.

Still haven't told my mom..and she's still yelling at me to get a cna job. sigh.

H

heff101

@heff101 I hate to admit that you are right about my mom..but I know that you are. I appreciate that. You gave me some great advice and I really appreciate it.

I applied for a job at Petco last night. I HATE that they have all online applications now. I've applied at both Petco and Petsmart probably a combined total of 10 times..all online because that's all they do. They usually never see the application and when I go in to ask or call they haven't seen it and I have to resend. Blah. I'm thinking I'll stop in tomorrow and ask to see the manager in charge of hiring.

Still haven't told my mom..and she's still yelling at me to get a cna job. sigh.

Are there any smaller private owned pet store or groomers etc where you live? Apply with them.
As for your mother please you need to get up the courage to confront her about things. The sooner you to it the better you will be happier and trust me your mom will feel better as well.
Short term pain = long term gain.
Have you ever considered therapy? You can start by going yourself and then maybe down the line with your mother.

Good luck on the job hunting dont give up and be persistent.

Oh and if you can read this book:

http://thesecret.tv/

Last edited:
OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION] I was going to therapy once every 2 weeks and stopped going because I just kind of..gave up. I felt like I was going no where. Still kind of do.

There are a few boarding / grooming places around here, but no small pet stores as far as I know of that do grooming. You can't apply to any one those places without any prior grooming experience, hence why I applied at Petco. I applied for styling assistant so I can learn under a professional groomer.

I want to eventually go to a grooming school so I can get a certificate and prove that I know what I'm doing..that's $3000 though.

I want to work at an actual salon once I get certified. I don't want to be at Petco forever. It's just a starting point so I can get my foot in the door and attempt to earn some money.

I know I need to talk to my mom. But she's flat out scary lately. Been yelling at me a lot and I'm afraid to deal with it. She's really on edge because of moving..

H

heff101

@heff101 I was going to therapy once every 2 weeks and stopped going because I just kind of..gave up. I felt like I was going no where. Still kind of do.

There are a few boarding / grooming places around here, but no small pet stores as far as I know of that do grooming. You can't apply to any one those places without any prior grooming experience, hence why I applied at Petco. I applied for styling assistant so I can learn under a professional groomer.

I want to eventually go to a grooming school so I can get a certificate and prove that I know what I'm doing..that's $3000 though.

I want to work at an actual salon once I get certified. I don't want to be at Petco forever. It's just a starting point so I can get my foot in the door and attempt to earn some money.

I know I need to talk to my mom. But she's flat out scary lately. Been yelling at me a lot and I'm afraid to deal with it. She's really on edge because of moving..

You know what I read this and you know what I am reading.....allot of excuses.

I have been to therapy myself for personal reasons. Took me 4 different therapists before I found one that worked and understood me. Change therapists.

As for your work field you are young you need to start somewhere. If it means Petco etc then by all means thats what you need to do. It will create opportunities for for that will come your way. As for schooling etc I do not know how it works in the USA but I am sure there is some sort of Government assistance to help you.

As for your mother you need to let go of the apron strings and just distance yourself for awhile. I know exactly what your mother is doing she is laying her issues on you whether it be work health etc but do you realize that is simply a form of mental control over you? It is emotional abuse and no one needs to have to put up with that.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION] I guess it's just my coping mechanism. I'm messed up in the head. I have a brother and a sister as well, and she doesn't do anything like this with them. The brother is 17 and my sister is 15. My brother is some what a screw up. He is constantly getting in trouble with police for being stupid in his car and he does terrible in school and fails a lot of things. He doesn't try or apply himself. He's extremely disrespectful to my mom. She never even talked with him about college and tried to get him to go. She's letting him do whatever he wants. How is that fair? I've had all this shoved down my throat since I was a kid. And my sister, she's the golden child. She's pretty and skinny and my mom thinks the sun shines up her butt. She can't do anything wrong.

I know it's a mental control. My main reason is I'm scared if I displease her she will kill herself.

H

heff101

@heff101 I guess it's just my coping mechanism. I'm messed up in the head. I have a brother and a sister as well, and she doesn't do anything like this with them. The brother is 17 and my sister is 15. My brother is some what a screw up. He is constantly getting in trouble with police for being stupid in his car and he does terrible in school and fails a lot of things. He doesn't try or apply himself. He's extremely disrespectful to my mom. She never even talked with him about college and tried to get him to go. She's letting him do whatever he wants. How is that fair? I've had all this shoved down my throat since I was a kid. And my sister, she's the golden child. She's pretty and skinny and my mom thinks the sun shines up her butt. She can't do anything wrong.

I know it's a mental control. My main reason is I'm scared if I displease her she will kill herself.

Control freaks will always play the suicide card. Your mother needs help.
So what are you afraid of? You are no longer 10 years old.
As for your family situation. Your mom fears males (I bet her father was hard on her)therefore will not pick on your brother. Your other sister I bet is very similar to her therefore they "get" each other. I bet you are more like your father? Are your parents still together? I venture to guess they are not and your mother played a big part in your father leaving. He likely got enough nerve to walk away from the situation.
Not sure what else I can tell you but to say it again.
You need to cut the control your mother has over you. You know how you beat a controller at their own game? You take away from them the power that allows them to control you. In your case perhaps writing your mom a letter to start off would be easier for you then to confront her face to face. You need to setup some boundaries with her and make it very clear to her that you will not accept her going beyond those boundaries without consequences.
Man call me Dr Phil!

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION] damn you're good, lol.

My mom's dad was hard on her. He was an abusive jerk. He was abusive to her and her brother as well as to my grandma. We don't see him anymore. Him and my grandma got a divorce. The last time I saw him was when I was about 6 or 7 years old. The only thing I remember about him is that he smoked a lot and was mean and took his dentures out to scare me..he'd pop up from places and scare the living crap out of me without those teeth in.

She is similar to my sister. They are both social butterflies. My sister is a skinny little popular girl with a huge group of friends; she's constantly out doing things. Mom was like that in high school too. They were both cheer leaders. They were both into dance / gymnastics.

I'm shy and have a select group of people I will hang out with. I find it hard to trust people and am cautious. Once I get to know someone and trust you, I'm funny and love to talk but it takes time. I'm just extremely shy.

My parents are divorced, have been since I was in the 8th grade. Not sure what the whole reason is why they got divorced. Both tell different stories. My dad has been remarried now. My mom was apparently married before my dad (she doesn't know I know that) and then got married to another man after that, so she's been married 3 times now. She just got out of a relationship with the guy we were living with who decided he wanted to turn abusive and start beating her. I'm not sure where she keeps finding these winners.

I know I need to move on and take away the power. But I'm such a weakling and when it comes to making people feel bad..I'm bad at it. I'm a softie and have always cared a lot about other people. I've always put myself last, and that's been my downfall. I've been controlled to the point where I'm afraid to branch out.

My mom isn't all bad. I do love her. She is supportive sometimes. She's highly moody though and is very controlling. I don't want you all to think she's terrible because she isn't. It's just in this instance she is really controlling and it's wearing my patience thin,

H

heff101

@heff101 damn you're good, lol.

My mom's dad was hard on her. He was an abusive jerk. He was abusive to her and her brother as well as to my grandma. We don't see him anymore. Him and my grandma got a divorce. The last time I saw him was when I was about 6 or 7 years old. The only thing I remember about him is that he smoked a lot and was mean and took his dentures out to scare me..he'd pop up from places and scare the living crap out of me without those teeth in.

She is similar to my sister. They are both social butterflies. My sister is a skinny little popular girl with a huge group of friends; she's constantly out doing things. Mom was like that in high school too. They were both cheer leaders. They were both into dance / gymnastics.

I'm shy and have a select group of people I will hang out with. I find it hard to trust people and am cautious. Once I get to know someone and trust you, I'm funny and love to talk but it takes time. I'm just extremely shy.

My parents are divorced, have been since I was in the 8th grade. Not sure what the whole reason is why they got divorced. Both tell different stories. My dad has been remarried now. My mom was apparently married before my dad (she doesn't know I know that) and then got married to another man after that, so she's been married 3 times now. She just got out of a relationship with the guy we were living with who decided he wanted to turn abusive and start beating her. I'm not sure where she keeps finding these winners.

I know I need to move on and take away the power. But I'm such a weakling and when it comes to making people feel bad..I'm bad at it. I'm a softie and have always cared a lot about other people. I've always put myself last, and that's been my downfall. I've been controlled to the point where I'm afraid to branch out.

My mom isn't all bad. I do love her. She is supportive sometimes. She's highly moody though and is very controlling. I don't want you all to think she's terrible because she isn't. It's just in this instance she is really controlling and it's wearing my patience thin,

I have not said your mom is bad I said she needs help.

You need to begin by loving yourself. You have been brainwashed by your mother from the day you were born. Please do not hate your sister I am sure she is a wonderful person in her own way.

I dont know you personally but I like what I am seeing so far and I think you just need some moral support and inspiration and someone to help you learn to love yourself. Life is a gift and only you can decide how to live your own life.

I hope I have helped you in some way and I encourage you to take the bull by the horns and start to make positive changes in your life.

Members online

No members online now.