Puppy biting

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
Jack was 9 wks on Monday and is doing the usual puppy nipping at hands and feet. I've had puppies before and I have gotten him to stop biting me. His nipping at me is soft and doesn't hurt when he does do it. The same with my husband. He will sometimes bite my 5 yr old but not too often because we've instructed her on what to do in the situation, yell "no" and offer him his toy. The problem is with our 2 yr old. Their playtime is always supervised. If I can't be on the floor with the two of them together, then Jack has to be in his crate until I can give 100% attention. But he still always manages to bite her and I immediately correct him with a squirt of water or putting him in the submission hold. This only works for about 5 minutes and then he forgets that he isn't supposed to bite her. My thinking is that since she can't tell him "no" herself, Jack just doesn't understand that it isn't acceptable. I've never mixed toddlers and puppies so I'm not exactly sure what to do, or if I'm doing right and just need to wait things out. Jack drew a small amount of blood today and I'm wondering if there shouldn't be any playtime between the two for a while. I do make sure that when the kids are rambunctious, that Jack is in his crate since that seems to make things worse. I don't believe any of this is him being aggressive, just him being a puppy. (I'm training the 2 yr old too on how to behave with puppies and dogs but she is as bullheaded as Jack.) Thanks for any tips!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Pups will be pups and yes this is just puppy play. It will take some time, but Jack will grow out of this. Sounds like you are on the right track for teaching Jack and your skin-kids, just keep it up and be patient. Like they say, "This too shall pass."

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo wasn't a nipper at all but Bea was HORRIBLE. Very, VERY mouthy. She eventually grew out of it but in the meantime, I made this loud EHHHHH sound, when she was clamping down the least bit too hard followed by ignoring; like "game over". Eventually, she caught on, "When I am too mouthy, mama makes this awful sound and won't play no more. Of course, the chewing continued...LOL....thankfully destroying a dining room set that grandma brought with her that I hated anyway. :DYay Bea!

OP
FourPetes

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
Bo wasn't a nipper at all but Bea was HORRIBLE. Very, VERY mouthy. She eventually grew out of it but in the meantime, I made this loud EHHHHH sound, when she was clamping down the least bit too hard followed by ignoring; like "game over". Eventually, she caught on, "When I am too mouthy, mama makes this awful sound and won't play no more. Of course, the chewing continued...LOL....thankfully destroying a dining room set that grandma brought with her that I hated anyway. :DYay Bea!

Cara, my 2 yr old, will cry pretty loud but it doesn't seem to affect Jack. But he's immediately told "no" and then put in the crate if he's getting wild. As far as the furniture, he can't do anymore damage than what the kids have already done. We are waiting for the kids to get a little older and then the furniture and carpets will be replaced. Until then, whats a few teeth marks and crayon marks? LOL

OP
FourPetes

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
Pups will be pups and yes this is just puppy play. It will take some time, but Jack will grow out of this. Sounds like you are on the right track for teaching Jack and your skin-kids, just keep it up and be patient. Like they say, "This too shall pass."

Thanks! I have a feeling Jack is going to be more stubborn than the average dog and is going to take alot more patience.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Cara, my 2 yr old, will cry pretty loud but it doesn't seem to affect Jack. But he's immediately told "no" and then put in the crate if he's getting wild.
Yes...the trick is to be able to move quickly and with enough purpose to connect those two things in the canine brain: biting = isolation. That's why clicker training works so well; it marks the desired behavior immediately. I've heard people say they put their dogs in "time out".... but I'd argue that dog's don't think like that. Just like....noses....everyone has an opinion! That's just mine.

I hear you re: teeth marks and crayon marks. As we speak, Bo is lounging on - and stinking up - a fabric upholstered couch that the cats have already had a claw party on. Go Bo! This destruction can work in our favor you see. heh heh

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.