cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Do you take your dogs to the dog park? I'm just wondering b/c this past Sunday, Tate and Finn had their first dog park excursion! :yes: The park is divided into two sections...one for the big dogs, the other for the smaller/special needs dogs. We opted for the latter 'cuz those dogs in the "big" section were just that!

Tate especially LOVED interacting with all the other pooches...he's the social butterfly of the family. Finn got a little nervous when the park got a crowded and mostly sat in the sidelines with mommy, on a bench, just watching everyone else play. We ended up staying there for about 2hrs. It was fun seeing all those dogs and meeting some of the owners.

When we got back home though, I dumped both of them in the bathtub and gave them a good scrubbing! Let's just say, they both really needed that bath! So, i guess i'm kind of torn b/c tho i love the idea of the dogs socializing with each other, I get worried if they'll catch something or what they're rolling around in. Not sure when we'll be going back again. What do you guys think of taking your bullies to the dog park?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Living in Florida we can't go until Dec.-Jan. But I have taken him, he is a social butterfly and people love him. The only bad part is we had to leave once because another dog was biting and pulling (hard) on Vegas's neck skin and the owner did NOTHING about it. I broke it up like 3 times and finally just took him home.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we've taken them, but I am not a fan. Most people think they do not need to monitor their dog so the behavior of the irresponsible owners I just can't deal with. Similar to what [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] stated

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
They say you should NEVER take a puppy who has not had it's entire vaccination series to a dog park - yet, every so often, I'll see some idiot with their infant puppy at the damn dog park.....:nonono: Dumb*sses. (Did I say that out loud?)

But we're not talking about babies are we? :whew: Of course not!

I used to take my Mable to the dog park and she really loved it. Bea has been a couple of times but I don't think she enjoys it that much. She did fall in love with this big black Newfoundland one time and that was pretty funny to watch. Bo was neutered only a month ago and I didn't want to take an intact dog to the dog park - so we've not tried it with him yet. We do have "play dates" in the doggie area here, with other dogs in our complex and they both seem to enjoy that. Bo especially since he's learning his social skills.

I posted this on another board that I frequent. The folks there seemed to appreciate it so, I'm sharing it all with you too. Maybe you will also find it useful! This is from Cesar Millan's Official Website | Achieving balance between people and dogs. and I think, a great "check list" for those of us who do like to frequent dog parks.

================
While Cesar encourages everyone to exercise their dog on a regular basis, he also reminds you to keep in mind that a good pack leader maintains leadership even at the dog park. Here are 5 tips Cesar has for dog owners who want to demonstrate good pack leadership.

1. Make sure your dog is spayed or neutered, has all her shots, and is in good health. Under no circumstances should you bring a sick dog to a dog park!

2. Do not use the dog park as a substitute for the walk! If you drive to the park, leave your car a block away and take your dog on a vigorous walk of at least thirty-five minutes to drain some of her energy. Never take an over-excited dog to the park.

3. While at the park, don't "punch out" on your calm-assertive leadership. Be aware of your dog at all times, and take responsibility for her behavior.

4. A calm-submissive dog will not attract another dog's aggression--but an excited dog, a weak, timid dog, or an aggressive dog can become a fight-magnet.

5. Know your dog! If your dog has poor social skills, is overly fearful or is dog aggressive, or if you have not yet established your calm-assertive leadership with your dog, find a more controlled way to introduce her to the company of other dogs, such as "play dates" with one or two other dog owners.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have told this story many times on here before but I will again because I can't really talk about my feelings on dog parks without telling it :) When Samson was little we went all the time (after he had all his shots of course). I wanted to make sure he was properly socialized. I used to go in the early mornings because I hated when it got crazy. There was a lady that used to be at the dog park early in the morning too that I always saw. She had 2 BEAUTIFUL and VERY well behaved Newfoundlands that I feel in love with, wonderful dogs! And very nice lady. Then when Samson was around 1.5-2 years old there was a male pitbull at the dog park one day that was being a bully with the other dogs in the park. Instead of taking his dog out the guy put him on a leash and stayed inside the park, leashed dogs in a dog park is a big no-no! Samson went up sniffed the owner, got love from him, then turned to the pit, sniffed him and the pit quickly latched onto Samson's head. I was watching this the whole time from the other side of the park and I instantly started sprinting across the park as soon as the pit attacked. The owner pulled the pits leash which lifted him off his front legs so he was just standing on his back legs but the pit never let go of Samson's head so Samson was hanging from his mouth in the air!!! By the time I got to the other side of the park where he was the owner was able to get Samson free. Thankfully he was fine but he STILL, at 5.5 yrs old, has a small bald spot from one of the pits teeth. The owner told me sorry, he has his good days and his bad days! I was speechless and very upset at the time so I didn't say much but looking back I should have screamed in his face YOU DON'T BRING A DOG TO A DOG PARK THAT HAS BAD DAYS!!! I feel like I was SO lucky he wasn't injured and that next time I may not be so lucky so I have never taken him again since that day. Then one time when I took just my beagle Loki she was running around so crazy she almost ripped her dew claw completely off. It was bleeding like crazy so I had to rush her to the vet. She was totally fine after she got bandaged up but it's just between the two bad experiences I got turned off to the idea of going. I do still think it can be a great experience for the pups to get socialized. I don't know anyone else with a male dog that Samson can play with so ever since that incident he rarely ever sees male dogs anymore and now on the rare occassions when he does he is a real bully with them. Fine with females still but not so great with the males and honestly I think if we were still going to the park regularly and he was able to socialize I think he wouldn't have that issue. Now as you can see, I have very mixed feelings on the subject!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Now as you can see, I have very mixed feelings on the subject!

Oh, i can totally see why you would have mixed feelings about dog parks! if i went thru your experience, i would too!!

I'm glad Samson made out okay after that incident. That's really scary. As much as i think dog parks are wonderful places for our animals, it can be a gamble too since you just don't know who will be there. It's not like the dogs (or their owners) go thru a behavioral screening before entering the park.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
As much as i think dog parks are wonderful places for our animals, it can be a gamble too since you just don't know who will be there. It's not like the dogs (or their owners) go thru a behavioral screening before entering the park.

Bingo.

@TessaandSampson: What an awful experience! After that, I certainly wouldn't go either.

There's a guy in my meet up group that has a grumpy intact male dog and he totally "checks out" while there...talking on the cell phone, etc. meanwhile, his dog, Captain Snarlypants is running around the park starting little scraps everywhere. Seriously: I watched that dog go from group to group to group starting sh*t! I stopped showing up for these events because I'd get to the park, see that guy was there too --- and turn around a leave. Ugh.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.