bad behavior

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank is really getting on our last nerves and we don't know what to do! Being our first dog we are clueless and hoping that its a age thing and he will grow out of it by.... tomorrow???? :pray: He will be a year old October 16th. we got him December 16. due to aggression issues due to being mistreated buy the breeders family we put him almost directly into behavioral training class through our vets behaviorist. He was in it for 12 weeks and really blossomed. we also then put him in puppy obedience/training class through the local indoor dog park so he has been through 2 training classes. he did great too! we learned a lot and he did also. Now for the past couple months or so we have been having problems with chewing! we have had to replace and pay for mind you... every cable line on our property. he digs them up (have no idea how he finds them!!!) and then he eats them. We have had to rewire our internet cables and move them to our ceiling... i actually have them tacked up there so he can get them:nope:... although i'm sure one day he will find out where they originate and kill them again.... he actually sits down there and just stares at them :/..... now we have a issue of him eating shoes! he has ate 6 pairs of my daughters shoes in the last month..... daddy is very very mad about that! so we have to hide our shoes in our closets... he has started peeing on my husbands dirty clothes or shoes or our bed when he gets scolded by him and whenever he don't get his way he goes and craps on the floor :cry:. I have no idea what to do or how to break him of this or how to reprimand him without him going off and peeing on dirty clothes or my bed! The only thing that has changed environmentally is the kids are back in school so its just me and him during the day now. The first couple weeks he just sat all depressed at the window waiting for them to get home but after that he was back to normal in the mood aspect and now knows there schedule and greets them as they get off the bus. so i don't think that's the issue now... ohh and hes jumping up on us and back to humping! we need help! we don't crate him but we did keep him in the laundry room but cant now due to a gaping whole in my door :cursing:. he ate his way out while i was in Chicago with my youngest for cf clinic.... needless to say momma wasn't a happy camper when we got home. we are at our wits end.. and really dont want to throw him back into a training class since hes been to two and was doing fine..... I just dont get why his behavior has went so bad :(

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am far from the expert here but it sounds like he may be acting out with the kids being gone to a point. Maybe they kept him more busy than he is now and he is trying to fill that? lol. The chewing didnt stop for me with Cutty until he hit about 2. Shoes, baseboards, couch cushions etc... The peeing is him marking or acting out, he knows what he is doing there. No help on correcting tho sorry. lol. We have many who are great with training tho so you will get some great advice. The chewing we are having a problem with our new pup Miila also. In fact while I am writing this she just got busted for chewing on a cord for my husbands guitar thing that connects to the computer. I am sure he will be so excited to see this. lol

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I am far from the expert here but it sounds like he may be acting out with the kids being gone to a point. Maybe they kept him more busy than he is now and he is trying to fill that? lol. The chewing didnt stop for me with Cutty until he hit about 2. Shoes, baseboards, couch cushions etc... The peeing is him marking or acting out, he knows what he is doing there. No help on correcting tho sorry. lol. We have many who are great with training tho so you will get some great advice. The chewing we are having a problem with our new pup Miila also. In fact while I am writing this she just got busted for chewing on a cord for my husbands guitar thing that connects to the computer. I am sure he will be so excited to see this. lol

yikes! so the chewing is a puppy thing possibly then... sounds like you have had your fair share. so far weve gotten lucky cord wise he is only interested in cable wires and internet cables :/. which is a bad thing since my hubbys job calls for work at home at times.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I would say so. Mostly when my boys got bored is when they found stuff to chew. If you can keep them preoccupied that may help. Get lots of chew toys if you dont have many already. Oh and those deer antlers are a huge hit, maybe that would help as a good distraction? I still havent gotten any but I think santa may be bringing the kids some. ;) Oh and a water squirt helps to correct Miila when she is misbehaving. I know it doesnt work for all and in fact Cutty just wanted to eat the water but it does work for my Mugsy and Miila so far anyhow. Just gonna have to stay on top of him I think for a bit. Especially with the cords, have seen of bulldogs dying from chewing the wrong cord that was plugged in. :*(

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Sour apple spray made to repel dogs works for many of the things you want your bully to leave alone. We get ours at Petsmart but Im sure it is available many places.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh thanks [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] I totally forgot about the sour apple spray! It did help wonders with the boys, lets hope it helps with Miila. :D

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Your welcome [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION].. We sometimes spray HRH's paws when she gets into one of her licking things to get her to stop it. It works well on her.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gypsy is the same. Only she likes blinds, baseboards, window sills, shoes and chairs. Bitter Apple is AWESOME they also have some stuff called YUCK but I haven't tried it. I think it will pass at some point. Try a stuffed kong to get his jaws working. You can put peanut butter in them. Some I know stuff it with raw hamburger and freeze it. That would keep mine busy for years. lol. Antlers are good too.

Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3251]theparrisfive[/MENTION] it seems as if Tank is bored. Are you able to get him out for a short walk while the kids are at school? also, all the training you mention - have you continued and remained consistent with the tools you learned during the classes? They will forget it all if not used with them. Get a spray bottle fill it with water and use it as a correction usually works very well.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I've never givin him a antler. Don't think I've actually seen them. Are they usually where the bones are? ' will definately look into that. He has lots of toys he has his own basket of them. He's only a tad spoiled lol! I will try a spray bottle that may work since he HATES water. I'm going to also pick up the apple stuff. We used to take walks twice a day once real early in the morning and a walk/run before sunset (I chose those hours so it was cool for him weather wise) but I stopped those about a month ago when my health spiraled out of control. I just haven't had the motivation to start them back up. Maybe I should I never thought of tank missing them :( . We work on sit stay lay down speak etc every day and he gets rewarded for good behavior with a treat each time. Sometimes hell come sit right in front of me and talk to me then give me his paw and then laydown and play dead like hey mom look I'm doing tricks give me my treat! Lol.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You poor human! Antlers are available through Carolina Pet Pantry..there's a link to them here...they are wonderful..get the xlarge or jumbo! I don't have any advice..a ton of sympathy..oh and look at the bright side..Tank has actually "trained" his people about where shoes belong!! :ROFL:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION].... that is good stuff!! LMAO

[MENTION=3251]theparrisfive[/MENTION]... your boy is totally bored and is acting out for your attention. Just as in kids -- negative attention is better than no attention. And, with the water bottle, when you correct him be sure not to say his name, spray him and say no - very firm. Oh yeah, if he knows 'leave it' use that too with a nice loud foot stomp . Good luck, keep us posted and I have you and your family on my prayer list

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My pups are 10 months old and they keep each other company, Get exercise regularly and if I don't hear the pitter patter of toe nails I check to see what's up. I don't trust to leave them alone.

Don't get me wrong. When I'm not home there has been some damage done. Gosh darn husband :ROFL:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
A tired pup is a GOOD pup! Time to get out the leash and hit the road!

Bo was born on December 17th so he's about 10 months old. I've not had the chewing problem with him (that was Bea's primary puppy issue) and that YUK stuff worked great for her. She did, however, completely ruin an entire dining room set before she grew out of the problem though. Bo's problem behavior at the moment is this: periodically he goes absolutely SPASTIC. Runs like a maniac through the house and body slams poor Bea - who is not fond of this outrageous behavior (she's an old soul) either and will tell him so. It's nothing that a good, brisk "working" walk won't fix though! He's a much better boy when he's pooped. :D

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
It does sound like Tank needs some exercise. If you don't always feel up to it maybe a neighbor who walks regularly would like some Bulldog company.
Ruggles is 4, will be 5 in Jan. and he still chews. Our area rugs are upstairs in the bonus room; we have no throw pillows; no dog pillows; he isn't allowed in bedrooms where dirty clothes and shoes are; the dog beds in their crates are plywood covered with carpet. I asked our vet when he would stop chewing and he said when he's dead! He is our 6th Bulldog and our other chewers quit when they were 1-2.
If I were you I'd get a crate and put him in it when you leave and after you've desciplined him like a time out. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.