Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank (11/3/09 - 8/4/17), Max (Became Part of the Family 8/17/17
Anyone else have this issue? Tank always wakes us up in the morning from licking his paw and when he starts he doesn't stop! I'm wondering if this is normal for him to do and if he's just trying to clean it? It's both paws, either the right one one day or the left one the next day. I'm hoping it's just him trying to keep his toes "tidy" and it's nothing serious!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Paw licking can be a habit, but it also can be a way to relieve stress when they are itching elsewhere on the body or face. This can cause yeasty paws which will make it all worse. What food are you currently feeding? Are the paws pink, or reddish brown between the toes? Is there any large bumps between the toes? Is the skin pink, red or milky white/pink under the fur?

OP
boomsboo

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
We have him on IAMS but are in the process of getting him off it and have put him on Avoderm. His skin is fine between the toes. No pink or reddish brown. And no lumps. Could it be the IAMS?

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My tank does this too! Its like watching a cat! Which I am curious is discoloring or the fur between toes bad? I figured they were dirt stains :/ tanks skin is red everywhere: belly chin neck feet etc. and between toes is a light brown (he's white). We changed foods due to rashing redness and itching along with bowels, but that was only a week ago. Vet gave him a clean bill of health other than allergies
Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be the food, you should check out Molly's dog food testimonial in the dog food and nutrition section. She was on Iams and that is what she did. I also notice she will lick her paws when her nails need cutting too!

OP
boomsboo

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - I will check out Mollys dog food testimonial. Thanks!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
My Samson is a frequent paw licker too! It is partially to do with allergies (the right food and his allergy meds helps alot with that) and partly an obsessive habit. So no matter what I do, because it's partly obsessive, he will lick his paws to a certain extent.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson used to lick and chew on his paws quite a bit and he'd leave minor sores. He mainly seemed to do it back in spring. I also changed his water to filtered water from the fridge dispenser, not sure if it that or just good timing because he pretty much stopped his paw chewing. [MENTION=3251]theparrisfive[/MENTION], try filtered water for the red discolor. Wilson's chin was so rusty and once he was no longer drinking unfiltered water from the sink it completely cleared up and his chin was back to white.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Both my bullies do this however, it is not their food (this time) they are both allergic to grass, mold and weeds. So, if I donot wipe their paws after we come in the house --- let the licking begin!! Needless to say, towels are by the door.

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
Katie has reddish brown paws from licking. I thought it might be from the grass and pollen, but maybe her food needs to be completely grain free. My next petflow order is for Fromm beef fritatta *crossing fingers*!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.