Got Hair?

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
I just brushed Gravy (outside!) and I swear enough hair came off to make a whole new Bulldog! But at least now it won't be on my furniture or making tumble weeds on the floors. I give him salmon oil every day and he eats TOTW Pacific Stream. Maybe it was just wishful thinking that the shedding would get better with good supplements and a better quality food? I can say the flakes & dry skin have basically disappeared, & we haven't had a bad bout of hot spots again, so as long as he's comfortable I can deal with some extra fur I guess. :D
What's everyone's favorite brush for their bully? I've tried a few different versions of the de shedding tools but they don't do anything for my boy's fur. I assume those are better suited for longer hair dogs. I have however been using a rubber curry brush (http://www.amazon.com/Salon-Essenti...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1317075776&sr=1-3) and it has been the best thing since sliced bread!

Last edited by a moderator:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Mine are shedding like crazy right now too. They blow their coats 2x a year (or maybe 3????) it's hard to tell when you have 5.... But right now 3 are shedding like crazy! Sweeping 3x a day and have a PILE each time!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gator is shedding like a maniac right now too. I haven't found anything good. I had a hounds glove around here somewhere that worked ok with Lucy but I can't find it now. Bassets shed sooooooo bad too. I bought a shedding brush and it isn't working for anything. Just mopped the kitchen and swept the pass through and got a huge pile of hair. They all have similar colors so I am not sure who it is but suspect Gator is the main culprit right now.

Oh, and Gravy is an AWESOME name! I love that! As in Wavy Gravy? lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I only have two so I have no idea how you are dealing with five!! They are both shedding like snow in a blizzard! I use the zoom-groomer (rubber brush from makers of Kong) and the Furminator.. both work well, but just can't keep up with it this year.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Funny you should post this, I just swept and vacummed this morning, I was amazed at all the hair!! I took my removable canister off my vacuum and I don't know what I had more of sand, my hair or Vegas's, it was just a huge ball of hair AFTER I swept with a broom already. He is bad right now too!!

OP
LoveMyBullyBoy

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
Oh, and Gravy is an AWESOME name! I love that! As in Wavy Gravy? lol
When we got him he was sooo cute I could've just sopped him up with a biscuit and ate him!! LOL!

Ok, I'm glad it's not just mine that's shedding so bad right now! I didn't realize they blow thier coats... that makes sense. I'm just thankful my Shih Tzu doesn't shed too!

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Bully's shed like it is going out of style.
I usually run Pepper through the wind tunnel every other day to get rid of the loose hair

:angel:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
:bully:Short haired dogs shed all of the time, it is just worse in Spring and Fall. We use the rubber curry brush on our boys, too, only we got it at a feed store, they sell them to 4H kids to use on their pigs.

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank has shed horribly since the day we brought him home as a baby. Its awful especially with him being white! I couldn't imagine the hair of more than one right now. Im constantly clogging my vacuum between him and now the cats. Im hoping that it will slow down a little although we know its common for the breed but what happened to shedding twice a year like my cats do :( Right now we are just using a regular dog brush. I am definately going to check out the one at petsmart. Ours dont seem to get very much out of him.

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Yep, right there with ya! Lola has a lot of white fur, and I wear a lot of black. Not a good combo. We also use the rubber Kong Zoom Groom. Works great, and Lola loves being brushed with it! I use it in the bath tub too. It gets the shampoo all worked in.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I also use that rubber curry oval shaped brush...
I take it during my walk with jack and I brush him out in the sidewalks and grassy areas....
That way I dont have to pick up the mess....

Im soooooooo lazy.! :ROFL:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Yup shedding like crazy here too... We give fish oil and that has seemed to help alot!!! I have to vac once a day and pick up loads everyday, guess that's what happens when u have a bullie and a lab.. I use the furminatur and love the heck out of it!!

OP
LoveMyBullyBoy

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
I also use that rubber curry oval shaped brush...
I take it during my walk with jack and I brush him out in the sidewalks and grassy areas....
That way I dont have to pick up the mess....

Im soooooooo lazy.! :ROFL:

I love it! I do the same thing! Sort of... I drag one of the rocking chairs way out in the backyard & start brushing. The hair always blows away & I never see it piling up anywhere out there. Better out back in the grass than in the house!

OP
LoveMyBullyBoy

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
Yup shedding like crazy here too... We give fish oil and that has seemed to help alot!!! I have to vac once a day and pick up loads everyday, guess that's what happens when u have a bullie and a lab.. I use the furminatur and love the heck out of it!!

I've noticed fish oil helps too. We've been giving salmon oil for about 1 1/2 months now & I am starting to tell a difference. At least I swear I am, & maybe it's not wishful thinking! :begging:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.