Travel....

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Well we leave saturday morning at about 4am to move to North Carolina. 2780 miles with violet who will be 6months on Thursday my 10yr old and rose will be 8 months the day we leave. I'm scarred and excited. I'm more nervous about how Violets going to be we have a Pontiac grand am, so not much room. Any advice for my husband and I?

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Likely she will sleep most of the time so I wouldn't worry too much :). Just remember not to leave her in the car and offer water at every stop. Don't freak out if she doesn't use the bathroom much or eat and drink a lot. Gator slept the whole way on our trip to FL which was an 18 hour drive that I did strait through. He also did not go to the bathroom even once the entire time!

Good luck and have a safe trip!

OP
Angievelvet

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] thanks ;) we are stopping to sleep 3 nights ;) at motel 6 so we all can rest lol

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
When lex was a puppy he would sleep the whole way to amarillo which is 4 or 5 hrs. Now he would rather watch the road with whoever is driving lol. Anytime we travel w him i always make sure to keep his blankie around him and some toys. Also I keep several eater bottles and a bowl in case he gets thirsty and just pour limited amounts that way there won't be any water left in a bowl to spill. When we are in a "different" environment lex is very restless and hardly sleeps but w his blankie it helps calm him a bit. So don't be worried if she's restless at the hotels. We travel a lot w him and he is always restless at different homes. Hope everything goes smoothly :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2469]Angievelvet[/MENTION] - best of luck on your new adventure! Dog friendly travel is a hobby of mine and these two bullies love those magical words, "Let's get in the truck!" The only problem is, is getting them OUT of the truck when we finally
get back home. When the adventure is over, they just want to keep adventuring. ha ha

My very best advice is this: even if you don't think it's hot in the car - it's hot in the car. On our recent Olympic Peninsula trip, the kids (daughter + future son-in-law) and my mom did any shopping or fetching things while on the road. I always stayed with the dogs in the SUV, with all the windows open and back "hatch" door wide open too. Picnic lunches are more fun anyway!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First off, best of luck in your new life adventure! Nitschke LOVES being in the car, we did a two weeks cross country trip with him when he was 8 months old. We even have to watch saying the word car or ride... he bolts for the garage door to make sure you do not forget him. He will sleep pretty much the whole time and has no change in his eating or bathroom behavior. But, then there is Banks - she HATES the car and could not be more opposite end of the spectrum from Nitshcke. All her issues has ended up with he on Xanax if we are taking a trip, which we do at least once a year at to Chicago. I echo a lot of what Vicaroo1000 said ... especially about the car being hot -- keep the AC on

OP
Angievelvet

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Thank u all for the advice. I wish we have a bigger car lol so violet could at least stretch out while driving but she will either be on daddy on the front seat or between a car seat and big sister. We are driving close to 800 miles a day but if course stopping to fill up and stretch and nurse the baby. Oh what fun it will be ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.