Licking air???

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitshcke has done this as long as we have had him... just lays there licking at the air - for hours!! It is beyond annoying after about 20 minutes :bang:
We talked the vet about it years ago, but I have no memory of what he said and when we go I always forget to ask (hhmm.. see a theme here?) We have noticed it is mostly at night so we thought ist may be that he is tired... then we noticed he does it when my nieces/nephews come over (sometimes)... maybe he is nervous... then we noticed he does it after eating.. maybe an upset tummy???????????????????? UGH!!!

Any other bullies do this? Any insight or thoughts? I do not expect him to stop, but it be great to just understand.:confused:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
BabyGirl does that sometimes. I know it's weird but she doesn't do it very long. Wish I knew why too but as long as she's ok otherwise I don't worry about it. My Frenchton annoys me more with his licking the carpet, chair, fence well anything for no good reason. I've trained myself "not to watch" him.

Sandy

Aug 28, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va.
Bulldog(s) Names
Harper Jiggs
Buster did this a lot a few years ago - drove me crazy. We eventually found out he had inner ear problems due to his allergies. The vet said said the "licking" was helping inner ear somehow? Don't remember exactly. Once we got his ears cleared up and allergies under control, he stopped doing it all together. Then, the other day I saw him doing it - washed his ears out several times and he stopped. My little dogs licks carpet constantly for no reason other than nerves though. He is very high strung.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
titan does it when he smells something he wants....especially when i am cooking or when we sit for dinner....he will come over sit and lick the air...drives me crazy

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Tubs does this when we clean his face or when we put animax on his tear stains when they are irritated. He licks the air trying to get to his face that is the only time he does it though. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=1863]speechmom53[/MENTION] that would be one time he does not do it! when we do anyting to his face... he runs and rubs it on the carpet or side of the ottoman.

[MENTION=1124]Sandy[/MENTION] It may have something to do with allergies as he has a list as long as my arm of what he is allergic to, but I am obsessed with keeping there ears clean so I hope it isn't that -- my OCD is bad enough.

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]...tubs does that too....as soon as we let him go he runs and smashes his face in the floor! I hope you find out what is going on! Hugs from us and Tubs!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Lupe does this too and it really bugs me, mostly because I can't figure out how to help. For awhile I suspected acid reflux, because it seemed to happen after breakfast.

Now I'm thinking it's more behavioral. She gets activated by something. Maybe it's a habitual reaction (we know these dogs like their habits!) to some physical sensation--an itch, a smell. inner ear makes sense. I usually just give her a belly rub and say soothing things and she forgets what all the excitement was about!

I'm so relieved she isn't the only one!

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
Oh, and she randomly licks the couch or me (even through clothes) too while she's in her air licking mode.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316897828.213375.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316897828.213375.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 897

praktikle1

Nov 23, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky and Belvy (short for Sir Belvedere)
R0cky is the same. He is always licking the air, mostly at night. I don't know if it is his dry nose he is trying to get, or his wrinkles. Maybe it has something to do with his allergies; or it could be stress....All I know is that it drives me crazy, especially when it goes on for 10 minutes or longer..

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
R0cky is the same. He is always licking the air, mostly at night. I don't know if it is his dry nose he is trying to get, or his wrinkles. Maybe it has something to do with his allergies; or it could be stress....All I know is that it drives me crazy, especially when it goes on for 10 minutes or longer..

Our girl, Banks never did it, but now our Lambeau is doing it.... same as with Nitschke... mostly at night -- drives me batty

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Maude does the air licking! It drives me crazy. She seems to do it, after she's been chewing on a toy. I try to distract her with something-sometimes it works,sometime not. I wondered if it is some type of seizure......? Haven't figured it out,so far!

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maude does the air licking! It drives me crazy. She seems to do it, after she's been chewing on a toy. I try to distract her with something-sometimes it works,sometime not. I wondered if it is some type of seizure......? Haven't figured it out,so far!

Nope... i showed video to vet-- not a seizure --

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.