My dog food crisis of 2011!!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Ok so maybe it isn't exactly a crisis :D Anyway I ordered my Natures Variety Instinct salmon from petflow and received it a week later (this past Tuesday). As usual I inspected the bag, I found no holes in the bag but I did find that it said ā€œbest if used by May 17, 2011.ā€ No bueno! So I called petflow, they apologized, I guess they got a new warehouse and are moving product around so looks like I ended up with some old inventory. Then when the rep goes to process a new order to get another bag sent out she seeā€™s they are out of stock of the NVI salmon! They arenā€™t going to be able to ship me a new bag until the end of next week then judging from all my prior orders Iā€™m not going to receive that bag until a week from then. Not good, I donā€™t know where to get NVI salmon locally. The feed stores I know that carry Natures Variety Instinct do not carry the salmon formula and as of this morning I fed the pups the last of the food I had left so I had to go out and find an alternative. I was going to get Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Salmon because Samson did real well on it for a couple years but I had to take him off of it because the potatoes in it started causing yeast issues (ear infections actually). BUT after looking around the store I decided to get Taste Of The Wildā€™s salmon formula. Itā€™s rated better than Natural Balance, shockingly itā€™s cheaper and it appears to have less potatoes in it than the Natural Balance. Also, my in-laws have a lab that has skin and allergy issues and she does great on this food so I am hoping Samson does well on it as well, if not I can feed my beagle Loki the rest of it or give it to my in-laws. So anyway, I am REALLY hoping for the best! Heā€™s real sensitive so I never know! While this was a total inconvenience I will still order from petflow in the future, they were really cool about it and after many, many orders this is my first issue so Iā€™m not going to ditch them for this. On a totally unrelated note, I saw a corgi puppy at the feed store when I picked up the TOTW today. OMG cutest, sweetest, little thing ever, I LOVE corgis! Not as much as bullys but they are a breed that I would definitely considering having one day, anyway that just made me so happy that I had to share LOL (oh my I really am dog crazy!).

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:whew: CRISIS AVERTED!! I hope Samson does well on the TOTW...it's always good to have a backup! I forget where you are in southern Cal..I know someone in Pasadena who carries NVI..just for next time...I think you aren't close to Pasadena tho!! :confused:... And I LOVE CORGIS TOO!! My parents dog of choice my dad just had two put his two babies to sleep..they were 16 years old..litter mates AND my dads since babies..his heart was and is broken...:cry:.. They are great dogs! Feisty and full of life! We had entertained getting a corgi a few years back..but my husband brought home a "street girl: instead! :eek:.. Not sure THAT sounds too good! :laugh:... Good luck!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh no. I have never inspected the bags that carefully to notice the dates. :bust: I am a bad mama! How sad! I hope he does well with the totw and no runny :poo: The things we go thru for these kids I swear!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Shame on PetFlo for sending you an outdated bag of food!:nonono: But glad you found an alternative.

Centinella Feed Store (various locations in So.Cal) carries NVI but i'm not sure about the salmon (oh, and i don't know if they have the dry food either...i've only bought the canned food there which by the way my boys LOVE).

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i had sarah on it for a bit and she had great stools so i dont think that would be a problem and its only for a bit so i think they will be ok. heres hoping for the best. if i thought it would get there quicker id send you some we have a local store that sells it but since im in virginia and your in california not sure it would help. can you order it from somewhere else. like amazon they ship really quick. ive got stuff in like 2 days from them before. just a thought.

Last edited:
OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
i had sarah on it for a bit and she had great stools so i dont think that would be a problem and its only for a bit so i think they will be ok. heres hoping for the best. if i thought it would get there quicker id send you some we have a local store that sells it but since im in virginia and your in california not sure it would help. can you order it from somewhere else. like amazon they ship really quick. ive got stuff in like 2 days from them before. just a thought.

Thank you so much for the offer! You are so sweet! But for now I will stick to the TOTW unless Samson has a real bad reaction, wishin', hopin' and prayin' that doesn't happen!

Oh no. I have never inspected the bags that carefully to notice the dates. :bust: I am a bad mama! How sad! I hope he does well with the totw and no runny :poo: The things we go thru for these kids I swear!

Dave was all oh it is fine, it says "best buy" not "use by." I was like I don't think so!!! I'm not giving my babies that!!!

:whew: CRISIS AVERTED!! I hope Samson does well on the TOTW...it's always good to have a backup! I forget where you are in southern Cal..I know someone in Pasadena who carries NVI..just for next time...I think you aren't close to Pasadena tho!! :confused:... And I LOVE CORGIS TOO!! My parents dog of choice my dad just had two put his two babies to sleep..they were 16 years old..litter mates AND my dads since babies..his heart was and is broken...:cry:.. They are great dogs! Feisty and full of life! We had entertained getting a corgi a few years back..but my husband brought home a "street girl: instead! :eek:.. Not sure THAT sounds too good! :laugh:... Good luck!

Ha ha street girl! Those are some of the best kinds, all we had growing up were funky mixes from the pound and they were all wonderful pets!!! Aww your poor parents!!! Thats a nice long life though, 16 years. I did get the impression that they were feisty and spirited, sounds like a little boy I have at home that resembles a little piglet :lmao:

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I hope it all works out. I've been getting the Instinct Salmon from a gourmet pet shop, but had the same issues with the dates. I pulled bags off the shelf and gave them to the manager. I guessed it wasn't a popular seller, but they said it was. Not sure what's going on.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Wow ... my shipment of Beef Frittata just arrived ........ maybe I should go and check out that date right now!!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.