Are all Bulldog puppies BRATS?!?

Bullylover2010

Aug 21, 2010
Lexington,nc
Bulldog(s) Names
Skye
Oh I got my bully puppy a couple weeks ago and his such a meany... He doesn't care that you told him not to do something... He loves to chase my 20 month old daughter but them two together is trouble waiting to happen... Just this week I got him to learn to sit...

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
My Vegas was a total BRAT (still can be at 14 months) I got a new area rug and while sitting in the SAME ROOM with him, I looked down and the corner was gone, I put hot sauce on it only to see his OCD come out, he LOVED the sauce, I saved and bought a very expensive chair from Pier One Imports, to once again, while I was at home see many teeth marks in the leg, He KNOWS he is being bad and has become a MASTER of "SNEAKING" I can honestly say at this point he is ALOT better, he loves his crate and uses it for naps and bedtime, but if I have not seen him in over 5 min. I go looking!!!
Vegas016.jpg

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
That is too funny about Vegas. 5 minutes would be too long to be unsupervised in some houses. Vegas looks like such a character! He's a charmer I'm sure.

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
I too think it is a bully thing... but when you talk about getting a friend, I think its is a good idea. I had my nonEB and he was a terror and then I got Toby and they are inseperable now. As Toby and Rocky have gotten older they are both 3 now and I often think that Rocky keeps Toby young. Rocky is part lab and I was told labs don't get out of the puppy stage until they are 3 or more. These two play like when they were younger just not as long now. I know gettting a friend helped my nonEB and I think my bully is better off with a friend too. But the tenacity is definately a bully trait, we call it around "not listening with our ears." Sometimes I would look at Toby and think how do you correct that adorable face.

I love the "not listening with our ears", I used to be a preschool teacher and I find myself asking Horse "did you forget your listening ears today?" and many other things I would say to my kids!

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
Oh I got my bully puppy a couple weeks ago and his such a meany... He doesn't care that you told him not to do something... He loves to chase my 20 month old daughter but them two together is trouble waiting to happen... Just this week I got him to learn to sit...

Horse and Braeden (4 + 3), are best buddies, yet best troublemakers together! I can't even tell you how much trouble they've caused together, yet on the other hand, Horse listens to Braeden really well, they sleep snuggled up together in B's race car bed every night, and Horse will only play fetch with B, he taught him and it's the cutest thing ever! (Braeden also learned how to swim without his lifejacket from swimming with a chocolate lab in the pool all day!) Can't wait to hear stories of your baby and baby bully, they're gonna have so much fun together!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Well now you know where the word Bull-headed comes from. They are just like having real skin babies around. As much as they get into trouble, I am able to laugh and giggle every time I see them. It is much easier when you have multiple dogs. Sophie (our Belgium Malanois) doesn't play with Bella other than tug-o-war. But Abby and Bella wrestle all the time.

tkletscher

Aug 23, 2010
MN
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger
We have a 6 month old bully and he's a spitfire too. We have a 12 year old yellow lab who has to put up with him. We pretty much keep them in separate areas in the house, but when they go outside, the bully just ANNOYS the lab constantly! It's funny though...I took him to Obedience class for 6 weeks. He was the youngest dog in the class and ended up "winning" the weekly progress checks AND he was voted the overall Most Obedient Dog after the 6 weeks. Needless to say, in class he was great. He's very well-behaved when "on the leash". But, he's a stinker around the house and with our other dog. I too, think it's a bully thing!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
o wow, from all yall stories i am grateful about my 2 boys!!! im sure having another dog around the house that actually likes being w another dog has helped so much... we have had lex since he was 6 weeks now 6 months, he hasnt chewed on any furniture rugs etc we did have a problem w him goin to the bath room in the house for about a month but then it stopped and he hasnt made a mess since!!! lex has a big brother bo who is a 100 lb lab, bo has been great w lex from the start. they wrestle all the time bo will put lex in a head lock and hold him there for a few secs w his front paw and poor lex tries to throw bo down on the ground "which in a few months im thinkin he'll be able too". lex and i go for walks and i dont put him on a leash hewalks right by me when he starts to wonder off i middle name him and he comes running back lol. when he was younger i made sure that he wasnt in charge if i told him to do something or told him no and he didnt listen he got a spankin for it, which he snorts when he gets a spankin which is hilarious but i always made sure he knew he wasnt the boss of the house. i think another animal would help out a lot!!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
My Bertie will go up to my cocker spaniel Dexter and if he has anything in his mouth...treat, bone, toy etc., she will take it away from him. Since I got Bertie, Dexter has really trimmed down...Bertie keeps taking everything away from him. I have to feed them in seperate rooms, cause she will eat it all.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Well I'm really happy to hear all of you saying that a playmate for Gertie is a good idea, because (insert "drum-roll" here) tomorrow her bully sister is coming home!! It's been a while since that post was started and we've thought about this and looked for her perfect playmate and we decided on a puppy just Gertie's age. Ida is two days younger than Gertie, so they're the same size and should be perfect together! Gertie's behavior has improved since I posted this. She doesn't try to chew on everything anymore, we used "Bitter Yuck" and it worked very well. She also got tired, I guess, of constantly getting in trouble for biting on us because that has greatly improved. Her house-training is coming along, slowly. Guess we may as well get it over with all at once with both Gertie and Ida. I don't know if that will make it harder or easier. Guess we'll see...

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Well I'm really happy to hear all of you saying that a playmate for Gertie is a good idea, because (insert "drum-roll" here) tomorrow her bully sister is coming home!! It's been a while since that post was started and we've thought about this and looked for her perfect playmate and we decided on a puppy just Gertie's age. Ida is two days younger than Gertie, so they're the same size and should be perfect together! Gertie's behavior has improved since I posted this. She doesn't try to chew on everything anymore, we used "Bitter Yuck" and it worked very well. She also got tired, I guess, of constantly getting in trouble for biting on us because that has greatly improved. Her house-training is coming along, slowly. Guess we may as well get it over with all at once with both Gertie and Ida. I don't know if that will make it harder or easier. Guess we'll see...

Oh that is so awesome!!! Can't wait to see pictures! Gertie is going to be SOO happy I bet :)

violetblue2

Dec 15, 2014
My chopper is the same really naughty boy he spends loads time in his crate but hes 4 months & is getting better so hoping its a puppy 🐶 thing ha ha

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I talked to her breeder today and he still has two of Gertie's sisters, one was my second choice the day I got Gertie. I was half tempted for about 5 seconds and then I thought "Are you out of your ever-lovin" mind?!? My husband would kill me, if I didn't kill myself first. I have 3 year old twin grandsons and they never go in the same direction. With my luck Gertie would be eating one cord and her sister would be eating one across the room. But it does sort of make sense. Could everyone give me their opinion? Would another puppy be a good thing? Or just double-trouble?

Ruckus was an energetic puppy and continues to be an energetic dog. If I'm home he wants to play play play. He is starting to calm down a bit as he is getting a little older (he'll be 2 in February) and by that I mean he is totally trustworthy at home alone, but still has crazy puppy energy from time to time. I wish I had gotten another puppy from his litter when I got him. I want a companion for him, but I don't really have the time in my schedule right now to give a new puppy the same attention and training I gave Ruckus. If you raise two at once, you won't have to go through the puppy stages again later, so that's a plus.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I have never had a Bulldog before. I did my Homework before I got my puppy Gertie, but OMG! She is such a stinker! Sweet as she can be, and don't get me wrong, I love her to pieces, but she is so different from any puppy I've ever had. I was hoping for some ideas on how to get her to stop being such a naughty puppy. I swear, she just delights in unplugging lamps and playing in the vertical blinds and doing a dozen other no-nos. She just goes from one thing to another to another. She has a ton of toys and I don't EVER leave her unattended. But she seems to love nothing more than getting her little self into trouble. She ends up in her crate for a nap because I just can't chase her any more. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just what every Bullie owner goes thru? I assume she will eventually outgrow this stage, but if , in the meantime, I can learn some tricks to keep her out of "the slammer" (as we call her crate), she'll be much happier and I won't go crazy. I live in the Phoenix area and so it's HOT, we can't spend much time outdoors. She has to run off all her energy inside. So, any ideas how I can get her to stop all her "naughty girl" behavior? Poor thing thinks her name is "NO NO Gertie". Thanks to all!

I know this is an old thread, but this is the story of my life. I feel bad when I'm just like, "No! No! No! No!" constantly. She goes from chewing on the couch, to my fingers, to the curtains, to the cords, etc... It's ridiculous. The thing with Bella is she really doesn't like being in her crate, so I only put her in there when she eats, when I go to work or otherwise leave the house. That's part of the reason I'm so stoked about her playpen. She loves it! It makes life much, much easier.

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
I was wondering that same thing! lol Kira is a little brat, too :) Whatever fits into her cute little mouth will end up there. She too does not care to please and is as stubborn as @#$%^&%&. I too end up putting her into her crate when I need a peace of mind and some quiet. Thankfully she does not mind to nap in there. She is also not too smart about potty training (to be frank, the dumbest dog I have potty-trained lol). She knows very well that it is good to potty outside and goes straight to business when we are out. But she also does not think twice about peeing in the house...I have to take her out like a million times a day as holding it even for a bit is not something she'd consider.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online