Are all Bulldog puppies BRATS?!?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I have never had a Bulldog before. I did my Homework before I got my puppy Gertie, but OMG! She is such a stinker! Sweet as she can be, and don't get me wrong, I love her to pieces, but she is so different from any puppy I've ever had. I was hoping for some ideas on how to get her to stop being such a naughty puppy. I swear, she just delights in unplugging lamps and playing in the vertical blinds and doing a dozen other no-nos. She just goes from one thing to another to another. She has a ton of toys and I don't EVER leave her unattended. But she seems to love nothing more than getting her little self into trouble. She ends up in her crate for a nap because I just can't chase her any more. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just what every Bullie owner goes thru? I assume she will eventually outgrow this stage, but if , in the meantime, I can learn some tricks to keep her out of "the slammer" (as we call her crate), she'll be much happier and I won't go crazy. I live in the Phoenix area and so it's HOT, we can't spend much time outdoors. She has to run off all her energy inside. So, any ideas how I can get her to stop all her "naughty girl" behavior? Poor thing thinks her name is "NO NO Gertie". Thanks to all!

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Good article, thanks. I do feel good about the fact that she does like her crate. She even takes herself into her crate, when she's ready for a nap. I guess her stubborness is what I'm not used to. Other puppies I've had seem so anxious to please you. After you tell them no and redirect them, they "get it". Gertie just seems to think it's more fun the more she misbehaves. :confused:

rikkiderr

Jul 21, 2010
Plano, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Trixie Wrinklebottom
Our 10 week old Trixie is a few handfuls too! lol I think it's just a puppy thing. She obviously knows when she's doing something wrong (chewing on cords, biting our hands and feet, etc) but she does it anyway. She's a smart one but she tends to stay in trouble and always under our watchful guidance. :bully:

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Well at least I'm not alone. Too bad we don't all live in the same neighborhood, Gertie, Trixie and Chester could get together and play and wear themselves out that way.

Chewysdaddy

Jun 3, 2010
Roscoe ate a coffee table while we were at work one day. Not just a couple of bit marks; literally ATE THE COFFEE TABLE!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Orion = trouble. She has yet to out grow her puppy stage. She is now 13 months old. We call her O for short and very often have to say "O...No"! So, she thinks her name is "oh no". She is a very naughty girl. I've often written about it in previous posts, so you are more than welcome to check it out. If it doesn't make you feel better, at least you will be glad Orion lives in Washington and not with you. She is a pickle!

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
Its a bully thing! Chelios would chew && eat everything from candles, dvds, tables, shoes, even the corners of the apt! That boy was a complete handful! I was going crazy! But he grew out of that puppy stage and is such a well behaved little boy, most of the time! :p Now we're going throw the whole chewing stage again with our little one Faith. But she's not as bad as Chelios was I think because she has another bully to wrestle && play with. :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
It is a bullie thing but my secret weapon against a very active and naughty puppy? Another bulldog. NOTHING captures Truman's attention like Linus - no toy, cord, cat food dish, or cat!

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I talked to her breeder today and he still has two of Gertie's sisters, one was my second choice the day I got Gertie. I was half tempted for about 5 seconds and then I thought "Are you out of your ever-lovin" mind?!? My husband would kill me, if I didn't kill myself first. I have 3 year old twin grandsons and they never go in the same direction. With my luck Gertie would be eating one cord and her sister would be eating one across the room. But it does sort of make sense. Could everyone give me their opinion? Would another puppy be a good thing? Or just double-trouble?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
A good thing AND double trouble. Vegas and Orion would be a perfect playing pair, except Orion doesn't like to lose. If Vegas doesn't drop a toy when she wants it, she gets spitting mad and creates a huge scene. Vegas loves to take stuff from her, so she's always PO'd. Vegas has 35 pounds on her and she is so little! There is no match for tug of war. Orion is alway gonna lose. They only way to win is to attack Vegas.

Speedbeegle

May 26, 2010
Western NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Tobias K. Smith
I too think it is a bully thing... but when you talk about getting a friend, I think its is a good idea. I had my nonEB and he was a terror and then I got Toby and they are inseperable now. As Toby and Rocky have gotten older they are both 3 now and I often think that Rocky keeps Toby young. Rocky is part lab and I was told labs don't get out of the puppy stage until they are 3 or more. These two play like when they were younger just not as long now. I know gettting a friend helped my nonEB and I think my bully is better off with a friend too. But the tenacity is definately a bully trait, we call it around "not listening with our ears." Sometimes I would look at Toby and think how do you correct that adorable face.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Thanks for your input. I am tempted, but can't decide. We have a 3 year old St. Bernard who runs whenever he sees Gertie coming towards him. She nips at him and bites his jowls and she's just too wild and crazy for him. I know another puppy would keep her entertained and wear her out, but I bet they'd both be getting into trouble too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.