How much Water is too much ....

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I realize that letting the dog drink all the water he wants is fine. And I normally would not have a problem with that as long as someone is Home to let him go outside every time he needs to whiz.....

Jack goes into his crate at 7:30 am until 3:30pm (8 hours!!) which is when my daugher arrives home from school to let him out..
So I have to restrict his water intake especially in the morning..
Before I leave I feed him and give him only a little bit of water....
Im not sure exactly how much water... lets just say about 10-15 tongue lashes .! :tongue:

If I let him, he would continue until completely satisfied .. but that would cause a problem 2 or 3 hours later I would think...

At night he drinks some more (little again) and then about 11:00 pm back in the crate he goes to sleep...

So anyways, I guess Im asking if its okay to give him that little amount of water each day. He doesnt get any vigourous exercise other than a couple of slow walks each day and the typical horse play with me at nite...

On the weekend, he is allowed to drink until the water is coming out of his nose.! :D

Last edited:

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
I let Arwen drink whenever & however much she wants. I guess I was lucky, Arwen only had an accident in her crate once... I guess that was enough. I will say that I got up in the middle of the night for about 3 weeks, from 8 weeks old till 11 weeks. She would whine and let me know she had to go.

After 3 weeks (just before 3 months), she started holding it all night. I know I was fortunate that Arwen does not like to sit in her own #1 or #2, but some dogs won't care if they have to, which may make them feel it's not prob going in their crate.

Now, during the day, we still have intermittent potty issues (she's 3 1/2 months old) so it's been 3 weeks since she began holding it all night, so there's still some work to do.

I think that if you ration out the water, JD may try and hoard it, since he'll know it's not going to be there - causing him to over drink. For me, I would rather Arwen learn that her water will always be there, and to not pee inside - one main reason is I'm afraid I'd forget to fill up and give her water all the time. Hydration is important, especially here in the desert.

Just my
twocents.gif

:D

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would not restrict water, we have water available all the time even in their crates, once he gets a little older he will be able to hold it all day long.

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
yesterday my daughter arrived late from school and found Jack sitting in a little puddle..
The poor guy had held it for over 9 hours.....

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Awww! Poor Jack! I can see him sitting there in his potty all sad. Poor baby!

I'll tell you what I did with both of these dogs that worked pretty slick.... I took the tray out of the bottom of one of the crates and put a couple potty pads in it. I put it down in the small area where they were restricted (kitchen + dining room) on the opposite side of the room from where their beds and food was put down. Both dogs - as "babies" - took their turn, using the "potty area" like a champ. There was only a couple times when I came home to shredded potty pads - which was my fault --- as I didn't tire them out before I left for work.

Isn't there some formula for this? One hour for every two months old or something? I can't remember now....

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I never restricted water and was lucky enough to never have an accident. When Vegas was a pup I bought a baby gate and put it across the kitchen door, he had full access to his water when we would be out for the day on our boat. I have all tile floor in the kitchen and I pulled up the rugs. Could this be a possibility for you? That way you would not have to worry about hurrying home and it is easy to clean a puddle on the tile.

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] - I guess I could corral him in the kitchen. I'll give it some thought.. thank you..

Knowing Jack , he'd figure a way to open the fridge door and then
all my New Castle beer would be gone.! :yes:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Bullies seem to need more water then the other breeds. I definitely would not restrict water. I know some people who do, but I would think it to be dangerous. My three youngest will be 10 months old in one week. they have water available at all times. We've had one accident in the last 4 months and that was because they were kept in their kitchen area for longer than they are used too. I figure 1 hour for every month old. the younger they are, the smaller the bladder. Don't expect too much too soon, every pup is different. [MENTION=2793]VoicesInMyHead[/MENTION] has had some luck on his side too. And a very smart pup that cares about the hygiene. :tongue:

Maybe you want to lock up the fridge just in case. :laugh:And set up a recorder. :detective:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes, there is a guideline... for every month old the pup is add 1 and that is how many hours they can hold their bladder. Example pup is 3 months.. they can hold it for 4 hours.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Don't restrict water...u will have a dehydrated puppy....they need water access all day....puppies have accidents and can't hold it...as they grow their little bladders will learn to hold it longer and longer....I'd rather have a puddle than a dehydrated puppy

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.