First time growling and snapping

bubba88

May 21, 2011
So today I gave Bubba (7 months) and Bonnie (4 months) their Kong filled with peanut butter. I walked away for a few minutes and next thing I hear alot of growling and snapping. I ran over to their play area and realize Bubba is being really protective over his Kong, Bonnie was really confused and Bubba was just snarling at her. So I came over there and stopped it, immediately Bubba backed away and went back to being normal. I sure don't want this behavior with him, what is the best way for me to nip this in the bud?

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2_64.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_64.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 109
  • imagejpeg_3_18.jpg
    imagejpeg_3_18.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 113

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You did good at stopping it right then, just have to be consistent, if he keeps it up take the Kong away from him for awhile, to show him you are the boss of it.

OP
B

bubba88

May 21, 2011
should i let them both still be free when i give them their treat, i don't need any aggression in the future especially if i have a kid

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
I suggest that since you know Bubba is being aggressive when he has a treat, you should supervise them the next few times you give them a treat. We use a squirt bottle filled with water with the nozzle set for distance and if one of our furkids get out of line, we say "NO insert dog's name"! while giving the offender a few squirts of water. This works very well for us and doesn't require you getting in the way of a possible dog fight. We prefer a "hands-off" type of training and you can discipline from across the room! Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.