fireworks

deegary

Jul 8, 2011
southport
Bulldog(s) Names
walter
my poor walter has just spent the past hour barking and unsettled round the house, because somebody is letting off fireworks near by and i have all the doors and windows shut, but the noise was coming down my chimmney....ended up putting the TV on loud to drown out the noise.... hes never heared fireworks before he was only 2 days old last bonfire night.... and we are no where near it yet.... anybody any good tips to calm him down in future.... we have a big fireworks display here in southport end of this month... and its only a mile away from my house....oh no.....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
YIKES!!! No clue... except leave town for the night. Banks does not like any loud noises either - thunder, fireworks, lawn mowers, etc. and I still have not gotten her to settle down with them and she is 6!

beachbumjen

Jun 9, 2011
By the beach
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Hi deegary,
Your Walter is such a handsome boy :hug:
I live by the beach and fireworks happen somewhat frequently. I can tell you what we've done with 9 month old Stella so far.
The first time Stella heard them, she got very scared, and began running around barking and looking to my husband and I for reassurance. Instead of saying "it's ok baby" and that sort of thing, we distracted her with her favorite toys, chewies and treats.
For example, "BOOM!!!!" big firework!!
Us: "Look what I have!!" and present her with toy, treat etc and continue to act normal like there is nothing wrong whatsoever.
We were really concerned because on July 4th in the US, there are lots of fireworks in the evening. What we did this past July 4th was really play with her during the day so that she was nice and tired, put her in her crate, tv and music on a/c on (windows closed). She didn't notice them at all.
Just last weekend we were at our friends at the beach and someone let off 3 really large fireworks very close by, she barked, but we just distracted her and she was ok.
We've done the same with thunder and now she doesn't react at all to thunder.
Good luck to you!!

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank HATES fireworks and any loud noises (storms etc). that is actually how he hurt his back leg in june (he stretched his acl). we were sitting on our front porch and the neighbor let off a bunch of firecrackers and tank jumped and fell off the porch it scared him so bad. We tried a lot of different things and our vet ended up prescribing him a medicine to calm him after he re-injured himself a few weeks later over fireworks again. we have to give it to him a couple hours before times we know will frighten him for full effect but can give it to him when a storm starts but gotta try and keep him calm till it takes effect. I have seen the thunder jacket (think that's what its called) for dogs but haven't tried it on tank and dont know how well it works but its supposed to calm dogs. we have thought about trying it but don't want to purchase it and it not work

OP
deegary

deegary

Jul 8, 2011
southport
Bulldog(s) Names
walter
thank you every much for the advice will try out your advice for my walter many thanks again:angel:

OP
deegary

deegary

Jul 8, 2011
southport
Bulldog(s) Names
walter
hi Angie, thanks for the advice anthing is worth trying, since the fireworks have gone off he is very restless, just havin a play at catch the ball at the min,with him.....:*(

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
As someone else mentioned, maybe try a Thundershirt. You can find them on Amazon and reviews from people who have used them. Our local news station did a story on them and the people claimed that their dogs were much calmer when wearing them. It sounds crazy but there is something to it. Its basically a way to swaddle the dogs without restricting their movement. I don't know if you've ever heard of Temple Grandin but she is an autistic woman that went on to do great things and is currently a professor in Colorado? But she noticed that cows would be calmer when they were put in some type of contraption that squeezed them and she designed something for herself because she had sensory issues. So what I'm trying to say, there is some science behind it and maybe worth trying. They aren't terribly expensive.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.