Anyone have any good advice on teaching your bully how to lay down?

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank (11/3/09 - 8/4/17), Max (Became Part of the Family 8/17/17
So Tank was awesome at learning how to sit, shake and high five.. But for some reason, I cannot get him to understand how to lay down. Anyone have any good tips on how they taught their bully to do it? I've tried the treat on the floor and trying to help him to lay down but he just doesn't seem to understand it. Any good advice?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
hahahahaha! I have this same problem! I mean exactly. When you LOOK in Bo's direction he tries to High Five you - but lay right down, belly flat on the floor for a treat? Not so much. In my case, it's really my fault. I'm not consistent. It's hard with the two of them squirming around on the floor, trying to get the cookie via any means necessary. I give in.

My daughter took this video of Bo doing his infamous "high five" at the cabin in Sequim. High Five, Bo! - YouTube They're so adorable, I give them the cookie regardless. (see? Consistency. Totally my problem.)

You might be interested in some really fun videos on You Tube that teach dog tricks. The ones I get the most out of are the "Expert Village" ones. Here's the "Play Dead" one: Dog Tricks : Play Dead Dog Trick - YouTube Cute!

Good luck!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Hold the treat right in front of his nose in a sitting position. Slowly pull the treat down to his toes. RIght in front of his toes. He should follow it. As soon as his elbows hit the floor give it to him . Dont require at first that it is perfect. You can work on that later

cavbike

May 1, 2011
Biloxi, Mississippi, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angel. Bronco, Casey
I had the same problem with Karma. Everytime I would put the treat to the floor between her front paws, she would lift her but but drop her chest, essentially bowwing. So what I did was to sit on the floor and create a tunnel with one leg and lure her through the tunnel with a treat. The tunnel was just tall enough so it caused her to have to crawl through it. As soon as her chest hit the floor, I rewarded her. After a few, maybe 5-10, times I tried it without the tunnel. She had it and since then she has never forgotten it.

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I get Jackson to lay down by patting my hand/tapping my nails on the floor. I'm trying to get to the point where I can just say "lay down" w/out going through the hand motions. He also knows how to sit and shake/high five and we're working on "lay down" and "stay". Its hard though since I'm the only one that works w/ him! My husband is all about playing and its like I'm the disciplinarian.

bulldogcrazytime

Apr 23, 2010
When training our bulldogs for rally obedience the second thing they learn is down (after sit.) The most important thing is consistency, that means always use the same command and hand signal and only treat if they go down all the way....bullies like to do their own version of "down" with the butt in the air and that doesn't work LOL.

What I do is say "Gypsy down!" in an excited voice and point quickly to the floor with my treat hand. Initially my husband will "help" them lay down with pressure on their booties. It may be easier to start from a sit too, using the same command. Once she is down I praise her like crazy and she gets the treat out of my treat hand.

Good luck, with practice your baby will have it in no time!!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=3189]Boomsboo[/MENTION]

Such and obvious answer. Tell them the are NOT allowed to get on the couch. Pretend to leave the room....PRESTO. They get on the couch and they are laying down.

With Orion, we used the clicker and a treat. Holding the treat on the ground and using the "down" command. It was a waiting game with her. I made a video showing how we taught her, and a game you can do to reinforce it. We haven't played this game in over a year, so I was surprised when it hardly took any coaxing at all. It's important also to teach the release word. For us, it's "ok". When feeding them, I make them hold in a "sit" until I say "ok". I will use all sorts of words, some short and some long. I try and use different pitches and different tones. 99.9% of the time..the game is a success. Good luck.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
What I've always done and what I did Delilah is have them start in the sitting position. I'd get a treat, let her sniff it. Then I'd slowly lower it down to the ground out in front of her, and she'd follow it. You can also put a hand on their shoulders and gently press to help encourage them to lay down. Delilah had a little problem at first of wanting to get up to follow the treat instead of laying down, ha!

OP
boomsboo

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow such great advise! Thanks! I know what a lot of you are talking about!

[MENTION=3114]LoveMyBully82[/MENTION] - my boyfriend is the SAME WAY! All he wants to do is play with Tank.. I am the one that has to have the patience to teach him haha! Of course I was the one who taught him the tricks he knows now. It's a lot harder to do with one person.

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] - You have such a good girl!!! I am definitely going to try your technique! I know it's going to take time to get Tank to not go for the treat right away but I love how she listens to you. Hopefully it'll work for Tank to! I'm going to have to be very patient! :D

OP
boomsboo

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
hahahahaha! I have this same problem! I mean exactly. When you LOOK in Bo's direction he tries to High Five you - but lay right down, belly flat on the floor for a treat? Not so much. In my case, it's really my fault. I'm not consistent. It's hard with the two of them squirming around on the floor, trying to get the cookie via any means necessary. I give in.

My daughter took this video of Bo doing his infamous "high five" at the cabin in Sequim. High Five, Bo! - YouTube They're so adorable, I give them the cookie regardless. (see? Consistency. Totally my problem.)

You might be interested in some really fun videos on You Tube that teach dog tricks. The ones I get the most out of are the "Expert Village" ones. Here's the "Play Dead" one: Dog Tricks : Play Dead Dog Trick - YouTube Cute!

Good luck!

I love that video of Bo! So cute!! Thanks for these videos! Very helpful!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
try holding the treat in front of his nose after he sits, and lower it to the floor saying down. and when he followes it to the floor , back up slightly so that he must lay down to reach it. or press slightly on his back as he is coming down--BUT remember to (immediately say ,good down and always a second treat till he gets it.
try this way, I hope it works for you. they go down easier form a sit position.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like you have some good advice there. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] love the video of miss O, she is such a good girl. It's amazing the things they do for a morsel of food. haha

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] - FUN video!!! What a cutie and so enthusiastic!

[MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] - OH how I WISH I lived in Sequim! If I could find a decent job out there, I'd pack up these dogs and grandma and we'd make it happen. We WILL be back to Sunset Marine Resort though. Absolutely.

Everyone's feedback has me inspired. I quit my job in June so I'm unemployed. These dogs should be trained like circus canines, with all the time I have....but we're just too busy having fun. ha ha It's been nice here again so we've been taking daily "swims" (no floating required) in the creek. Starting today, I'm going to start being consistent AND work on a new trick with these two! (I hope this resolve lasts) haha

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.