Shy and fearful bully

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
We have had our bully, Scuttle, for almost a week now. Right away we could see that she was fearful to the new situation, sounds, home-life, etc... A little background: Her and 12 other bullies were taken from a local vet here in Jacksonville. It's pretty apparent that she has not had any socialization other than what was in the house. Every noise in the house, from someone sneezing to turnng on the faucet, scares her and makes her jump. She is especially scared of the concrete floors (we tore up our carpeting) and stays on the area rug in the living room most of the time. JUST today she started showing aggression to our 4-year-old Golden Retriever and we nipped it in the bud right away and she seems to be okay but we are watching her around him. We have been taking her on walks to get her used to her new surroundings and smells and we have also been leashing her and taking her around to different rooms in the house to get her used to them as well. The kitchen was a big deal for her becuase she doesn't like the flooring. Once she calmed down, she finally took a treat from me and was calm and actually stayed there off leash for a bit while we ate dinner. That's another thing, she won't even take a treat when she's nervous so it's difficult to even try to give her a reward to doing something new.

I would love suggestions on how to help her. She is making progress...slowly.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
AHA! You got one of those bullies?? Lucky for you and your new girl! We have all been watching that story and had a member who applied. Mine don't have issues but many here have had experience with helping a hesitant bully. I think [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] have had a few small fear issues with HRH Princess Gracie. Good luck and congratulations!!!

Oh, and pictures...we need pictures :)

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I've had my Mr. Wilson since he was 10 weeks old and he is 3 yrs now. He has always been shy and fearful and I feel it has slowed his mental development somewhat. Any improvement is "huge" in my opinion. Just yesterday he surprised me by actually stepping up on the ramp that leads to the doggie bathtub in my garage. I was so proud of him I had to give him a lot of "good boys" and huggies. May sound trivial to some but that was a big deal for him and me.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
So far she has made progress MUCH quicker than Gracie. HRH will still never take a treat, drink or eat away from home.( I have to pour water on her tongue to keep her hydrated if we go somewhere. ) It took us almost a year to get her to stay in the kitchen long enough to eat her dinner there. And we still have to be in there or she will go without eating rather than stay in there alone. She has never shown aggression to anyone though. More often than not she seems indifferent to other dogs. Occasionally though when in the company of other bulldogs she seems quite animated and at ease. But at home in "her" room she is affectionate and loving, and her favorite place is sitting between mom and dad on the loveseat.

OP
ScuttleGirl

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
I am learning those small milestones are huge as well! Every time she does something new we are there praising her too!

OP
ScuttleGirl

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
Thanks everyone for the responses. After watching her this morning, it seems that she doesn't like it when Sailor has ANY of his toys. EVEN THOUGH SHE DOESN'T LIKE THEM! They did go outside this morning and play for a bit but then Sailor, who's a little scared of her now, used his voice when the playing got a bit much. She backed off and everything was fine. Going to work on them today and see what comes of it!

I started a blog mainly to journal her progress so we can look back and see how far she's come. If you want to follow, here is the link:
http://adventureswithscuttle.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great idea re: blog. I'll be watching your progress with great interest! Bea is what I would call "hypersensitive" - because I don't know what else to call it. She reacts to loud sounds and is vigilent about pointing them out. Bulldozer? Barks and runs TOWARD the machine - like she's going to go eat it. Drop a cookie sheet in the kitchen? She jumps up and goes in there to start barking at the offending cookie sheet. So far, the only thing I've done is make an "Ack" sound (translation is: "this is unacceptable") and ignore the theatrics. It occurred to me that I wasn't "following through" - which is why she will often (not always) continue to fuss at whatever made the offending noise. Lightbulb moment for me: I need to get up and "claim" the offending item. When I figure out how to claim a bulldozer, I'll let everyone know. LOLOLOLOL A park we frequent has construction going on so there's plenty of opportunity, at least!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Im having same issues with Roxy. She is a former breeder girl from puppy mill. She especially doesnt like someone carrying anything IE: broom, flyswatter, cup skittles wrapper. She goes into attack mode. We are slowly working on her. She is getting better in some areas. It is just slow going.

OP
ScuttleGirl

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
Great idea re: blog. I'll be watching your progress with great interest! Bea is what I would call "hypersensitive" - because I don't know what else to call it. She reacts to loud sounds and is vigilent about pointing them out. Bulldozer? Barks and runs TOWARD the machine - like she's going to go eat it. Drop a cookie sheet in the kitchen? She jumps up and goes in there to start barking at the offending cookie sheet. So far, the only thing I've done is make an "Ack" sound (translation is: "this is unacceptable") and ignore the theatrics. It occurred to me that I wasn't "following through" - which is why she will often (not always) continue to fuss at whatever made the offending noise. Lightbulb moment for me: I need to get up and "claim" the offending item. When I figure out how to claim a bulldozer, I'll let everyone know. LOLOLOLOL A park we frequent has construction going on so there's plenty of opportunity, at least!

Thanks for following the blog! I love how you said that you need to "claim" the item. So far the leashing seems to be helping. We'll take her, say, in the kitchen and just sit with her until she is calm. She looks around and can hopefully see that there is nothing frightening about it. You know when she's calm when she takes a treat! Just today, she ventured in all by herself. But the first loud noise sent her darting out! I know that 3 years of bad ownership isn't going to change in 1 week or 2 for that matter!

OP
ScuttleGirl

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
Im having same issues with Roxy. She is a former breeder girl from puppy mill. She especially doesnt like someone carrying anything IE: broom, flyswatter, cup skittles wrapper. She goes into attack mode. We are slowly working on her. She is getting better in some areas. It is just slow going.

Scuttle is the same way without the "attack mode". She just darts into her safe place. What have you found works for her in getting her over this?

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
with the stuff in your hands, Ive been making sure i let her sniff and see what it is. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.