Huge Improvement!!

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
Tonight, while cooking dinner, I leashed up Scuttle and brought her into the kitchen with me. The kitchen had always been a no-go area since the flooring is laminate. She was really nervous and was panting heavily for the first couple of minutes. She wouldn't even accept a treat. And let me just say, this girl loves treats! After about ten minutes she was noticeably calmer. My mom knelt down and showed her some attention and offered a treat. She took it. It was really heard to contain my enthusiasm! To further this when we were all sitting down for dinner I took the leash off and gave her the opportunity to leave, I fully expected she would. Much to my surprise she stayed put during the entire meal! She even entered and exited multiple times with little hesitation.

On the downside she has been acting very jumpy. Last night we were hit with a rough thunder storm. At first she seemed to tolerate it well but my mom told me that they ended up having to put her in her usual spot in their bathroom. All day today she has been skittering around and reacting to every slight bump or movement. We are not sure if it had to do with the sudden change in weather or the overcast sky. She seems fine when she is outside, we even took her on a short walk this morning and she loved every moment of it.

Truthfully I must admit that I'm not really experienced with shy/fearful dogs. Most of my foster dogs (I've fostered many different times before Scuttle arrived) were very outgoing and adventurous dogs. Heck, even Sailor is the exact opposite. I would be grateful on any advice concerning shy Bullies. We want her to be happy and adjust. Any suggestions?:begging:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Just hang in there and have patience. You are on the right road by taking her into the kitchen on leash and reasuring her. She will eventually settle down.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.