Questions about changing an older dogs name

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
OK so everyone pretty much knows I'm waiting to hear about Tyson on Saturday. Well I have sort of a dilemma.
When I was 19, my then husband and I adopted our very first dog. We found a great dane breeder in our area who had a rescue. He was a 3 year old deaf Dane we named Titan. I loved him ( not like Dozer but still) and we bonded quickly. Ti lived with us for about 6 months and started to become very aggressive. He would bite without warning. No growling, no posture change, just bite. He only bit men, including my husband several times. I worked very hard to contain and control him but he was very unpredictable. My husband had had enough the last time he was bitten. I begged and pleaded but he called the "rescue' and asked if we could return him. They said NO! seriously they said no. I was glad.
My vet at the time tried prozac to no avail. I sought training advice and in the end the vet and trainer agreed he needed to be put to sleep. I really didn't want to . He was my friend, but he was very large and dangerous. I considered adopting him out but felt like that was wrong. I fought this for a while, until one evening we had a guest come over. Ti knew and liked him, so I did not worry much about it. He had even dog sat Ti before we knew he had these issues. After he had been in our home about an hour, out of no where Ti bit him pretty badly . I felt terrible. I usually had Ti put up when we had company but I believed he would be ok because they liked each other. That was it. My husband threatened to move out and was Serious. I had Ti put to sleep the next day.I still feel badly about this. I know it was the right thing to do, but I should have kept him separated.

Sorry for the long winded story. Where I am going with this is Tyson is really really close to Titan. I think it might feel kind of weird? Idk . Is it wrong to consider changing a dogs name? Should I just learn to deal with it .

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Oh wow! That must have been one of the toughest things you had to do! I don't know how I would cope in that situation. And yes, sometimes we really have no other choice in the matter.

We adopted a 3-year-old bulldog named Bella. I had to change that name... yes, yes, because I'm anti-twilight... Anyway, her name is Frances Bella Rose - she didn't respond to Frances, nor Rose... but, she responded to Bullie! So, we got her a new name... Bullie. :D

I think it's completely okay to change a dog's name. Especially when I think that I had to change my name when I migrated to America because my original name didn't fit in the Social Security Card form... :D

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas was 4.5 months old when I adopted him, his Papers said "Sir Elton John" his name was Deisal, I changed him to Vegas since he was my wedding present and we eloped to Vegas. He picked up very quickly on his name and I had no problem.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No problem to change it... dogs adjust very easily, working with rescue dogs, first thing we do is change their name. Go with it.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH answers to her original name Gracie. But respond also to "where's my Princess" faster than anything. She will also respond to mommies girl, daddy's girl, sweet pea, princess happy bottom, Gracie Kay.I think ultimately it's the tone of voice more than anything that she responds to, even though she knows key words.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes you can change it they will adjust, my dogs come to several different names. Sorry about Titan, I'm sure that was tough.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Roxys name was supposedly Queenie when we got her. I changed it and in days she was coming to it. Izzys had no name that we knew of when we started fostering. She adapted to new one quickly and they are both 5

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Great! Now all I have to do is hold my breath till Saturday to find out if he comes to live with me

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.