Bully afraid of flooring?

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
We've had her for three whole days and have discovered that she is afraid of our concrete flooring. Any tips on how to help Scuttle over come her fear?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
How about a few throw rugs for the time being? or even a big towel? Also, Scuttle may just need more adjustment into her new environment 'cuz i don't think 3 days is very long. You can put some of her toys on the floor and sit down on the floor with her, and also give her some treats on the floor. Putting her food bowl on the concrete floor will also help her not be so fearful of the floor (positive association). Hope that helps a little!

OP
ScuttleGirl

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
Yeah, we've found that she is very eager to be with people. She responds when you call her over. This morning I was able to coax her off of the back door rug and into the kitchen doorway. It was huge and she got a nice treat for it. :)

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola is afraid of just about everything, and has been since we brought her home at 8 weeks old. Laundry baskets are the worst, but really anything new we introduce into a room. She does seem to get used to it (or tolerate it at least) if we leave it there long enough, though. I've heard others say their bullies have OCD. I'd agree!

OP
ScuttleGirl

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
Our vet has two bullies and also claims they are very sensitive to new items in their home. I just hope it isn't long until she is able to stroll casually around the house without fear of the flooring. Seems kind of silly when you really think about it. :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH is scared of anything new or different. She would never leave the house or "her" room for that matter if we didn't make her. It took almost 9 months to get her to come into the kitchen with us and stay to eat there. She still won't stay in a room by herself except this one. Love and patience and more love are the only suggestions I have.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
could be an issue with her too being neglected etc. If she was one of the garage pups then I can see why she would be timid on cement maybe. All advice has been given that I can think of. Rugs in the short term are a good idea anyhow but you do need to get the fear worked on slowly. Poor thing.

OP
ScuttleGirl

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
She had a huge improvement today! While we were eating our lunch in the kitchen she almost wandered in! I was so amazed and stunned. She would stand in the doorway and look at us then run back into my parent's room (which is right next to the kitchen doorway).

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Sounds like she's getting settled in her new happy home. I know for us, our 14-year old shepherd helped Lupe get over stuff far more than we could help her. Once she sees your other dog (i read you have golden) is fine with the floors then she may start following whatever is the norm. You might try "walking" them together across the floor. Anyway, I'm so happy you've given a second chance to a bully! Congrats.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea doesn't like to walk on "shiny" floors and will take some steps to avoid them, if possible. Nowhere was this more obvious (and more problematic) than a recent stay at a cabin on the Olympic Peninsula. The entryway and hallway to the bedroom was tile and she did NOT want to walk on it; even when the reward was getting up ON the bed with me and Bo to go to sleep. The first night, I carried her back there, after coaxing got no where and following Bo wasn't enough of a lure for her. Needless to say, bedtime was a bit of an ordeal. In general, I didn't fuss over her fear or buy into the drama of it (calm! assertive!) and over the course of that week, she got better about it.

Now, the neighbor's patio umbrella? That's a completely different story! You'd think that thing was going to swoop down and kill them both.

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
She'll come along, just give her time. It took Zeus a week to get used to everything. He wanted to be on the carpet with us and wouldnt even go have some water - because he had to wander off in the kitchen over hardwood floors. I had to put the water and food for him next to his crate for a while.

H

heff101

Little dumbass Heff is the same way.
He hates concrete, pavement etc.
Now recently the vet discovered he had a mild yeast/bacteria infection between his toes.
We are wondering if perhaps this did not cause the little dumbass some discomfort when walking on hard surfaces.
We now have him on a antibiotic and have finally found a food that agrees with him.
Time will tell if that was the problem however now I fear it will be psychological with him more then anything.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.