One of my biggest fears concerning Vegas happened this morning.......

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
But luckily everything is okay. As some of you know, Vegas sleeps with us at night. You may also know that Vegas is not very graceful. One thing I always feared with him is getting his front leg stuck in the frame of our sleigh bed as he's getting off the bed. It happened this morning. Usually I'm up before him. But this morning I wake up to a loud thump. I jump out of bed and Vegas is laying down, but his leg it twisted up over his head stuck between the wood frame and mattress. I pull him to a sitting position and pull his leg out. I'm already in a freak-out mode. I pick him up and start to go down the stairs. Mark is still home and he took Vegas from me. I feel his bones and determine that it's atleast not broken...but I worry about a fracture. He went out pee..climbed the 2 patio steps, climbed on the couch and is now sleeping. I was so quick to respond, I'm not even sure which way he was facing or which arm was caught. Crisis over for now, but OMG!
What am I going to do to make sure this doesn't happen again? I'm going to have to get rid of our expensive bed and put the mattress on the floor. I would do it if it would guarantee that he would never experience this again.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Can you pad the crack with towels? That might help prevent his foot from sinking into the crack...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:eek: !!!!! Do you think his behavior from last night..as far as instability...played into this? Maybe you could put pillows at foot of bed..that tuck in the sleigh part..and throw a blanket over them..just for at night..when he's in bed! How frightening! I'm so glad he's ok..but he might have some stiffness or a little pain from it later!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Can you pad the crack with towels? That might help prevent his foot from sinking into the crack...

I've thought of that..but I don't know if that is feasible. I took a photos to show why. Since Vegas is downstairs sleeping, I used O as the model to show the height of the bed and the gap size. The mattress is supported by boards..but the gap goes all the way around. They should have made it a tighter fit.

Vegas sleeping downstairs....

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
:eek: !!!!! Do you think his behavior from last night..as far as instability...played into this? Maybe you could put pillows at foot of bed..that tuck in the sleigh part..and throw a blanket over them..just for at night..when he's in bed! How frightening! I'm so glad he's ok..but he might have some stiffness or a little pain from it later!

I don't know. He slept like a rock..but he did get warm and he moved to the outside of the bed towards the bottom. Usually he sleeps in the middle. I'm not even sure if he fell out of bed or got out of bed. I posted some photos above.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think you could get foam padding..like to make mattresses softer..roll it up and stuff it in there..like twin or full size..it rolls pretty tight and will expand a bit to stay put.like memory foam pads...

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I think you could get foam padding..like to make mattresses softer..roll it up and stuff it in there..like twin or full size..it rolls pretty tight and will expand a bit to stay put.like memory foam pads...

I think you two are on to something. I've tried the towels before...but removed them as we needed them. :ashamed: But the foam idea is good. I should push the mattress against the bottom corner so I only have the top and one side to fill.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think you two are on to something. I've tried the towels before...but removed them as we needed them. :ashamed: But the foam idea is good. I should push the mattress against the bottom corner so I only have the top and one side to fill.
Yeah! Worth a try..walmart has them very inexpensive in all sizes! Also..I'm looking at Orions face staring at the "scene of the crime"!!! You don't suppose she "helped" Vegas get out of bed this morning..do you???

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Omg how scary! Is he limping or anything?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
A fabric store will have upholstery foam in many thicknesses. Get some that is bigger than the gap so it fits tightly and cut it to fit with an electric knife.... presto, zippo, problem solved.

Hope the poor little feller is ok!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Yeah! Worth a try..walmart has them very inexpensive in all sizes! Also..I'm looking at Orions face staring at the "scene of the crime"!!! You don't suppose she "helped" Vegas get out of bed this morning..do you???

Nope. She was sleeping in her downstairs kennel.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Omg how scary! Is he limping or anything?

He went from being put down by Mark, going pee..so up on the couch sleeping. He is still there. I'm about to wake him up to feed him.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh no I would have freaked out too! I'm so glad to hear he didn't break anything. Looks like you have some great solutions to the problem, I hope they work so you don't have ditch your nice bed :)

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
A fabric store will have upholstery foam in many thicknesses. Get some that is bigger than the gap so it fits tightly and cut it to fit with an electric knife.... presto, zippo, problem solved.

Hope the poor little feller is ok!
Awesome. You guys have just solved my problem! I've been fearing this for 4 years. That's for the problem solve!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.